Apple secures 50% of TSMC 5nm production

RISC V is open and royalty free standard. A lot of great things can happen with riscv. even c-dac my alma mater is working on riscv for super computing. it is a very exciting area.
they will still require foundries for fabrication , so if this doesnt stop it will not help RISC V

they will still require foundries for fabrication , so if this doesnt stop it will not help RISC V
well, someone needs to setup foundries in india. seems ASML cancelled their euv machine orders to smic of china due to sanctions and tsmc is trying grab those extra machines.

Someone started a fab city project long time ago in Hyderabad but it became a clusterf*** of bureaucracy and corruption and got canned.

the irony of indias top industrialist or business houses is that they are not smart enough buy a chip manufacturing organization ...

I would argue they are smart enough to not get into chip manufacturing. It’s $50 billion for a seat at the table assuming you have a technology partner and even then you’ll have to compete. Margins are wafer thin. (haha)TSMC and Intel will sooner or later set up fabs in India and at that point our Indian industrialists will set up the value chain around it.

The guys that make the money are the Intel, AMD’s Nvidias and Apples

Last edited:
I would argue they are smart enough to not get into chip manufacturing. It’s $50 billion for a seat at the table assuming you have a technology partner and even then you’ll have to compete. Margins are wafer thin. (haha)TSMC and Intel will sooner or later set up fabs in India and at that point our Indian industrialists will set up the value chain around it.

Exactly, semiconductor industry is capital intensive and one needs to continously infuse funds to keep up with the latest manufacturing nodes. Okay, so Indian businessmen are not going to set up a fab after capital requirements and thin margins are taken into account. Fine. But, atleast govt. policies should have been conducive enough to allow foreign semiconductor firms to set up fabs here, as they are increasingly looking towards reducing their dependence on China. But, then, again as @booo said, as soon as bureaucracy gets into the picture things start getting dismal.

by than chip industry margins would be very low
But then you would have made another thread... "Now we are FD up ,One more reason to hate Ambani"
thats what you think

The fact is TSMC has become the lead foundry on account of partnering up with Apple. A lot of the capital investments they have made to be the industry leader has come from Apple's revenue and investment. Thus, Apple will continue to get preference for the latest node as they are paying for it. The other customers simply don't have the volume to sustain their R&D, so overall it is a good thing as it is pushing the industry forward as a whole. Samsung is not a small player and is very much capable of pushing forward, so the pressure from TSMC is a good thing.

At the same time, it is not as if TSMC is not trying to diversify as Apple nearly killed off Imagination in the past which was reliant on it. They will not bite the hand that feeds them for now, but they are capable of accommodating the other customers if Apple's business falls. It is simply a case of catering to where the money comes from which is logical.

The fact is TSMC has become the lead foundry on account of partnering up with Apple. A lot of the capital investments they have made to be the industry leader has come from Apple's revenue and investment. Thus, Apple will continue to get preference for the latest node as they are paying for it. The other customers simply don't have the volume to sustain their R&D, so overall it is a good thing as it is pushing the industry forward as a whole. Samsung is not a small player and is very much capable of pushing forward, so the pressure from TSMC is a good thing.

At the same time, it is not as if TSMC is not trying to diversify as Apple nearly killed off Imagination in the past which was reliant on it. They will not bite the hand that feeds them for now, but they are capable of accommodating the other customers if Apple's business falls. It is simply a case of catering to where the money comes from which is logical.
Not just Samsung, but Intel too is being coerced to accelerate its transition to smaller nodes after AMD took advantage of TSMC's 7nm node. So, a direct thanks to TSMC and an indirect one to Apple too. Overall a win-win for consumers.

Intel would have sold 14nm for another decade and would have run out of lake names :hilarious::hilarious:
intel was waiting for competition (just to iterate they had consumer ready 6 core 12 thread gulftown 990x in 20010-11) ,but when competition came it could nt handle it and it would be more hurt by apples M1 than by AMD and tsmc beating them on the node size

But as per the recent news, the Nehalem team is back at intel so i am am very hopeful

What's stopping Intel from adopting ARM, I heard Apple hired all major ARM engineers some 5 years back to work for their in-house chip.

I'm in the market for a new phone and it looks like there's not a single decent android device in the 30k range.
Either you get the exorbitantly priced ones or the super cheap ones with no character or the poor vfm ones in the upper 20k range.
Xiaomi, Vivo, Realme, Oppo, Lenovo, Motorola, Huawei, Nokia are a no go for me while LG wants to leave the market entirely. Oneplus has gone to the dogs and has killed itself by going with retarded flagship pricing.
Samsung is busy releasing the same phones under different alphabets, they have the same body, same processor same everything, they're busy adding some new pos cameras and calling it a day and their high end ones are dumped with Exynos instead of SD.
Only decent though slightly overpriced option I could find is the Pixel 4a which again is a decent buy only in the US for 349$ not the 30k plus it's available for here.

Seriously considering switching to Apple even though I might have to settle for an older device like the XR because none of these phones are worth 30k.

it would be more hurt by apples M1 than by AMD and tsmc beating them on the node size
its not just consumer market. when intel announced that their next gen cpus got delayed companies started looking at epyc solutions. power efficiency is a lot more important in data centers compared to consumer market due to total cost of ownership stuff. i will shut up about m1 in this area.
I love android while I truly hate IOS.
I love Windows while I hate IOS.
1613073101167.png

I'm in the market for a new phone and it looks like there's not a single decent android device in the 30k range.
Either you get the exorbitantly priced ones or the super cheap ones with no character or the poor vfm ones in the upper 20k range.
Xiaomi, Vivo, Realme, Oppo, Lenovo, Motorola, Huawei, Nokia are a no go for me while LG wants to leave the market entirely. Oneplus has gone to the dogs and has killed itself by going with retarded flagship pricing.
Samsung is busy releasing the same phones under different alphabets, they have the same body, same processor same everything, they're busy adding some new pos cameras and calling it a day and their high end ones are dumped with Exynos instead of SD.
Only decent though slightly overpriced option I could find is the Pixel 4a which again is a decent buy only in the US for 349$ not the 30k plus it's available for here.

Seriously considering switching to Apple even though I might have to settle for an older device like the XR because none of these phones are worth 30k.
Android is a fast moving world, not a single phone is worth it if it has that copy cat and non optimised clunky UI. Samsung is much better but nothing like Pixel. I have stopped following OnePlus since OnePlus One days so don’t know why everyone hates them these days but yeah it’s still a better option.

If you are not already in an ecosystem then I don’t know if it’s worth it to get iPhone over Pixel.

What's stopping Intel from adopting ARM, I heard Apple hired all major ARM engineers some 5 years back to work for their in-house chip.
Well, it's the belief that they could still compete by improving the x86 that is stopping them. Things look promising, atleast for consumers, after the recent reshuffle at the top like bringing back Patrick P. Gelsinger as CEO and changing the fab team leadership. But, yeah, in the longer run ARM and likewise RISC architectures are more likely to take a significant chunk of market share across different segments owing to their impressive Performance Per Watt figures.

Fragmentation is a serious problem (or a boon if you look from other angle) for Android these days. While, we were expecting different device makers to innovate and provide multiple options to buyers, but of late we are getting same companies flooding market with same devices under different names. Add to that, the unsolicited heavy customisation, bloatwares, privacy concerns (especially the devices from Chinese makers).

And then comes the widespread practise of imitating Apple. Apple dropped the 3.5MM jack, let's do the same, Apple has non-removable battery, let's also make it hard for consumers. Apple did this, let's do the same...and so on. All the while forgetting that these features were Unique Selling Points for Android ecosystem.

Back