Apple - 'The missing bite' is with Apple USA!

How has your experience with Apple service been?

• Total voters
So it shouldn't be too hard for you to realize that people might feel the same way about iPhones. BTW, I myself belong to the Android camp but have seen it first hand how difficult it is for iOs or Android users to shift camp. Hence, I was a bit taken back by your suggestion for a person to shift to Android especially when he/she would be paying similar amount.
Exactly, someone that knows to dance with his left foot isn't going to want to learn to use the other foot.

That too after an experience like this where its forced either or situation will never be positive.

Easier to try others when you have your primary.

Well, for the two reasons I have already put. Also, he can think of the expense that he has to incur if he again mess up with his phone. BTW, Apple replaces with refurbished phones and not brand new ones. You can check this on google.

Firstly, you can't compare specs when the phones run different OS.
Secondly, how does he have peace of mind when he can still end up damaging the OP3 by dropping it in water.

^ Guys, relax! Both phones have their merits and none is better than the other! It's all about perspective.

That being said, if I get pathetic service from Apple, I might choose another brand the next time I am buying a phone... Even if it means giving up iOS.

That being said, if I get pathetic service from Apple, I might choose another brand the next time I am buying a phone... Even if it means giving up iOS.
This is what I would do too since I pay the premium for Apple product purely coz of their customer service (when I am in UK/USA). Any droid offers all the same features.

Best way to deal is , file consumer court case and let them pay for this ordeal and stupid way or describing internal manufacturing fault to external cosmetic damage when their are no damage marks.

Third party service centres are screwing this up for browny point from apple ( one less warranty replacement )[DOUBLEPOST=1467956692][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is what I would do too since I pay the premium for Apple product purely coz of their customer service (when I am in UK/USA). Any droid offers all the same features.

Best way is buy iPhones from abroad.[DOUBLEPOST=1467956750][/DOUBLEPOST]
^ Guys, relax! Both phones have their merits and none is better than the other! It's all about perspective.

Just file consumer court case and publicise it well.
How apple india treated their customer and make them realise what damage they are doing through their minions.

Nobody in this country respects civil suits, consumer court case for below 1Lakh is almost unrewarding & such a Pain. It'll take at least 2 years to get the compensation.

There's a thread on Erodov.com for consumer suit against Nokia's more horrible service running for 2 years, the company still seems to be in no mood to pay inspite of honourable court verdict. Internet is full of such instances, the fear of judiciary is almost non existent with civil suits.

Your best bet is interacting with Apple directly, 3rd party service centres are notorious for such things also cheap people misusing replacement warranty are equally culprit. Try escalating the issue with Apple both directly and through their social media handles and see. Hopefully it'll resolve amicably. Use consumer court as a last resort.

Best way to deal is , file consumer court case and let them pay for this ordeal and stupid way or describing internal manufacturing fault to external cosmetic damage when their are no damage marks.

Just file consumer court case and publicise it well.
How apple india treated their customer and make them realise what damage they are doing through their minions.

^ Yeah Doc... Thats the plan... It may not be worth it but I shall still take this through.

Nobody in this country respects civil suits, consumer court case for below 1Lakh is almost unrewarding & such a Pain. It'll take at least 2 years to get the compensation.

There's a thread on Erodov.com for consumer suit against Nokia's more horrible service running for 2 years, the company still seems to be in no mood to pay inspite of honourable court verdict. Internet is full of such instances, the fear of judiciary is almost non existent with civil suits.

Your best bet is interacting with Apple directly, 3rd party service centres are notorious for such things also cheap people misusing replacement warranty are equally culprit. Try escalating the issue with Apple both directly and through their social media handles and see. Hopefully it'll resolve amicably. Use consumer court as a last resort.

^ I too am hoping it is resolved amicably... Whatever law practice I have done has showed me that the best win in any litigation is out of court!

That being said, despite the long and tedious process and the costs involved, I shall certainly approach the consumer forum if Apple turns down the claim. Coz then its a matter of principal and not a matter or service or consumer satisfaction. And I understand how bad the process could get... I am a lawyer (or atleast I used to be before I moved to banking!).

As for the Nokia case, there is a provision under the Consumer Protection Act to attach the property of the erring company for non compliance with forum orders. It takes its own sweet time to reach that stage but when it hits, it's permanent damage! There is literally no reversal! Even the complainant cannot ask the forum to forgive the erring company once they disobey the initial orders!

I hope and pray that I don't have to go down this path though... Its a lose lose situation both, me as well as Apple if I have to do this. :(

See warranty misuse is universal phenomenon.
What is wrong is Indian 3rd party people who claim this stupid non sense to avoid true warranty claims. They are the one who are spoiling apple and it's warranty. The third party also has to be on defendant role along with apple. Apple acted on their input. Which is wrong to begin with. They wrongly depicted the issue

One thing missing in this thread ? photos

In about a month's time, the air bubble under the right top corner of the screen seemed to have grown like a tumor! I gently dabbed the corner with my thumb and it became small... almost the original size that it was and stayed that way for a few days more. Then one day (last week) I woke up to this huge bubble under the right top corner of the screen (about 2 mm in diameter). So this is less than 2 months since I got the phone!

What does it actually look like ?

You do have some to share with us.

One thing missing in this thread ? photos

What does it actually look like ?

You do have some to share with us.

^ I dont have any photos. I saw the bubble had grown one morning and immediately rushed to Maple DTI. My phone has been with them since. It's been 10 days.

I checked on the Apple Discussion Forums and saw similar cases as mine. The below pic from one thread shows my exact problem (Except my bubble is slightly larger and more circular with tails on both sides).

IMG_4991.jpg

The user mistook these for scratches. Apple REPLACED the phone. The thread is here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2174831?start=0&tstart=0

Some other threads with similar issues on various Apple devices are below (and there are more threads):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3655184?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2766914?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1342090?start=30&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3048632?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3471441?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4053301?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7425592?start=0&tstart=0

The charge of 15K has to be to replace the entire phone as even the iphone 6 screen costs less than 10K last i checked.

I bought an iphone 5s just over a year back and its "volume up" button didnt work from day 1,
Since i had bought this phone under promotion and on returning i would just get the cash back i decided to keep it and get it replaced from Apple.
I went for replacement after 11 months and got a complete replacement in 2 days. so my experience was quite good.

^ I dont have any photos. I saw the bubble had grown one morning and immediately rushed to Maple DTI. My phone has been with them since. It's been 10 days.

I checked on the Apple Discussion Forums and saw similar cases as mine. The below pic from one thread shows my exact problem (Except my bubble is slightly larger and more circular with tails on both sides).

IMG_4991.jpg

Problem with this is once you see it you can't un-see it. It does look like what i imagined, a screen protector coming off. Except this is under the screen.

How confident are you that your phone is indeed brand new and not some refurb ?

if its new then its some manufacturing defect. Any way to tell when the phone was manufactured, maybe its on the box. People have phones that are far older without this problem.

5s isn't that old, came out in 2013. Heard of a few people that went for the 5s recently, its a bit odd since they say the price is attractive yet they don't mind that its older. Still two years of support left, if it can handle the updates.

3gs, 4, 4s and one 6s plus.

Something that happened with older models and less so with later ones.

Last edited:
^ Yeah Doc... Thats the plan... It may not be worth it but I shall still take this through.

^ I too am hoping it is resolved amicably... Whatever law practice I have done has showed me that the best win in any litigation is out of court!

That being said, despite the long and tedious process and the costs involved, I shall certainly approach the consumer forum if Apple turns down the claim. Coz then its a matter of principal and not a matter or service or consumer satisfaction. And I understand how bad the process could get... I am a lawyer (or atleast I used to be before I moved to banking!).

As for the Nokia case, there is a provision under the Consumer Protection Act to attach the property of the erring company for non compliance with forum orders. It takes its own sweet time to reach that stage but when it hits, it's permanent damage! There is literally no reversal! Even the complainant cannot ask the forum to forgive the erring company once they disobey the initial orders!

I hope and pray that I don't have to go down this path though... Its a lose lose situation both, me as well as Apple if I have to do this. :(

IMG_4991.jpg

The user mistook these for scratches. Apple REPLACED the phone. The thread is here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2174831?start=0&tstart=0

Some other threads with similar issues on various Apple devices are below (and there are more threads):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3655184?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2766914?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1342090?start=30&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3048632?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3471441?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4053301?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7425592?start=0&tstart=0
You're a better judge than most of us as to when or whether to pursue this legally, yes from the images it looks annoying ; you should get a replacement.
Go back to good old android man! :)

Email to apple?
Bad old Android Customer service you mean?
Which Android has a better customer care? Only thing is that, Atleast you can change 3 phones in the price paid for iPhone, and your expectations from the Vendor will be less, but that's it.

Providing a reliable service seems to be the last priority for manufacturers. They know very well that, Majority of Their new customers come from their previous customer pool, who are forced to upgrade !!

Problem with this is once you see it you can't un-see it. It does look like what i imagined, a screen protector coming off. Except this is under the screen.

How confident are you that your phone is indeed brand new and not some refurb ?

if its new then its some manufacturing defect. Any way to tell when the phone was manufactured, maybe its on the box. People have phones that are far older without this problem.

3gs, 4, 4s and one 6s plus.

Something that happened with older models and less so with later ones.

^ Phone was purchased from Amazon India. I trust them from past experience. In any case, manufacturing date on box was April 2016. When I submitted to Maple DTI, phone was less than 2 months old (Some 50 days old IIRC).

Also, this exact same issue exists with a lot of Macbooks and iPads as well. I just didn't post the links here as I wanted to keep it limited to iPhone issues only.

Go back to good old android man! :)

Email to apple?

^ I mailed Apple Sr. Advisors on Saturday. They haven't reverted. This Thursday, it will be 2 weeks. That's about as long as I am going to wait to get a reply... Yes or No... Whatever it is, they should tell me by Thursday.

As for going back to Android, I guess that's the only option. I cannot get an iOS device that's not Apple and if Apple fails me on this one, I am not buying another Apple![DOUBLEPOST=1468225077][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're a better judge than most of us as to when or whether to pursue this legally, yes from the images it looks annoying ; you should get a replacement.

^ I am not even asking for a full replacement. All I want is for them to replace my display. My phone is new... Don't care about getting a full replacement. And yet, they want to frustrate me! :([DOUBLEPOST=1468246169][/DOUBLEPOST]
UPDATE: Apple told Maple DTI that they (Apple) will cover the cost of repair/replacement for my device. :)

Last edited:
Maple is extremely pathetic! They are still giving me a tough time. They claim that they have not received any confirmation from Apple and I should pay for the display!!! :mad:

Below is the exchange of mails between me and Maple and later between Me, Maple and Apple:

Sent: 07/11/2016 22:34:11

Dear Maple DTI Staff,

Please note that Apple has decided to cover my iPhone having Job No. SAN30061XXXXXX) under warranty.

I was told that they have already sent the instructions to you and the same should be available on your systems.

Please let me know the tentative delivery date so that I may pickup the device from your service center. It has already been 12 days since I gave you my device.

Thanks
Neo-N

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Maple Support <support.centre@mapletechnologies.org> wrote:
Dear Customer

The problem reported was spot on display,we have identified that the spot comes under "Cosmetic damage" and hence the cost to replace the display is Rs 15,855.

Please let us know how would you like to proceed.

Sincerely,
Maple Support

I marked 2 Apple Sr. Advisors (Chris & Alexa) on below mail:

Sent: 07/12/2016 23:02

Dear Maple Support,

I am at a complete loss as to whether I should be more surprised or appalled at your response!

I do not wish to get into the whole spot over/under the display debate again. I have already made my case with Apple. So, please save your judgement on the nature of the 'damage'!

If you read my previous email, it clearly mentions that Apple has decided to cover the issue with my device under warranty.

All I wanted to know was if or not you had already received the instructions from Apple and if you had, a tentative delivery date for my device. And yet, you chose to give me the same response you gave me 10 days ago!

@ Chris: This is precisely why I was reluctant to deal with Maple DTI. They do not care about the context of a consumer query. All they understand is playing the blame game and making the consumer responsible for anything and everything so as to avoid a warranty claim.

As an update, here is what happened today:

• I called up Maple DTI in the morning (India time) as they had not responded to my email query. I was told that there was no update from Apple for covering this under warranty.
  • So, I got on chat with Apple to check on the status and my query was handled by Sr. Advisor Alexa (cc'ed). She was kind enough to setup a call between an Apple India Sr. Advisor and Maple DTI.
  • I got a call from an Apple India Sr. Advisor (I do not recollect her name but her India contact number is 180042XXXXX Ext. 910889XXXXX) from +65-6480XXXX and we looped in Maple DTI on the call. Ms. Shanti from Maple DTI answered the call and told us that for a call to happen between Apple and Maple DTI, I should take my phone to the Maple DTI service centre! So basically, I should be present at the service centre for Apple to be able to talk to Maple DTI. Honestly, I haven't heard anything more ridiculous!
  • The Apple India Sr. Advisor assured me that she will try and find the contact number for Maple DTI engineers and reach out to them from her end. She promised to provide me an update on the scenario by evening 6.30 pm (India time). I also provided her the Maple DTI email ID.
  • At around 4.30 pm (India time), I got a call from Maple DTI and they were harping the same tune: 'Cosmetic damage", "Pay for it", "Apple wont cover under warranty". They also told me that even if Apple were to cover it under warranty, a repair would take 8-10 'working' days (2 weeks!).
  • At around 6.30 pm (India time), the Apple India Sr. Advisor called me again and told me that she was unable to reach Maple DTI on call. She assured me that she had forwarded everything on the case including the approval from Apple to cover the issue under warranty to the Maple DTI email ID (support.centre@mapletechnologies.org).
  • At 7.50 pm (India time) I get the below reply from Maple DTI stating "...that the spot comes under "Cosmetic damage" and hence the cost to replace the display is Rs 15,855."
Under the circumstances, I request you to please look into this and advise as to the further course of action. It has already been 13 days that Maple DTI has my device. Tomorrow, it will be 2 weeks. And they want an additional 2 weeks after they finally accept Apple's approval to cover this under warranty.

I purchased the phone on 9th May, 2016. So, since purchase till date, it has been with me for 52 days and with Maple DTI for 14 days (tomorrow) and they want to keep it for an additional 14 days starting from the day they accept that Apple wants this to be covered under warranty!

I request you to please step in and help me in this frustrating situation as nothing I say to Maple DTI seems to be making sense to them.

Thanks

Neo-N

Back