Apple Unveils iPhone 5 ,4" Display , 7.6mm thick , 2x faster Processor & More

How? If iPhone sales slump in only the month preceding the launch of a new one and then pick up again, does that show that people's perceptions are changing?

You say that very few people buy without contract abroad. And you say that Apple is successful only because of the contract subsidized system. Don't those two statements together imply that the iPhone 5 would be successful as well.

While I don't agree with @Sei that Apple is only successful because of the contract system in the US*, I do think think there is a small change in perception with regards to the infallibility of the iPhone. There were similar months before the release of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S where the iPhone was still leading the charts. This is the first time in 5 years that a phone other than the iPhone has headed the US charts. That could either be because of consumers becoming more familiar with Apple's release cycle or the emergence of a single large competitor.

* I can see a case being made that the subsidized system did help the move from dumbphone to smartphone quicker than in other countries. It also has the side effect that moving from one eco-system to another has a larger barrier and a longer cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope Nokia prices Lumia correctly, they have got an awesome opportunity now. Android is shit anyways, but if coupled with awesome hardware + most of the apps of iOS, Windows Mobile will rule.

(history might repeat like earlier, Mac, Windows & Linux)

Coming back to Apple, they are still supporting the 2 and a half year old iPhone 4 with the latest iOS 6. The Lumia 900, which came out this year, will not get Windows Phone 8. If I was a Lumia 900 owner, I'd be pretty pissed. it will get the stripped down 7.8 like the 3GS is getting iOS 6.

Will you be satisfied if Microsoft had gone the Apple way i.e., naming WP7.8 to WP8 and putting a small Asterisk mark above to depict that some of the features will not be available due to Hardware limitations just like Apple does it with their older devices. Siri was released with iPhone 4s and was not provided to less than an year old iPhone 4.

At least Microsoft is transparent in its dealing with the consumers.

+1 to @Sub. Very mighty valid points there.

I think the basic functionalities of a smartphone are similar across all mobile platforms. You get your phone, SMS and lots of apps across all the platforms. Most developers release their apps for all of them. So on the apps front (which is really the meat of the smartphone) all mobile platforms are equal.

So actual differences in such functionality between platforms is very little. It is only the very small minority of us that experiment with the "open-ness" of Android versus the "closedness" of iOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Android is shit anyways.

262.png

While I don't agree with Sei that Apple is only successful because of the contract system in the US*, I do think think there is a small change in perception with regards to the infallibility of the iPhone. There were similar months before the release of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S where the iPhone was still leading the charts. This is the first time in 5 years that a phone other than the iPhone has headed the US charts. That could either be because of consumers becoming more familiar with Apple's release cycle or the emergence of a single large competitor.

* I can see a case being made that the subsidized system did help the move from dumbphone to smartphone quicker than in other countries. It also has the side effect that moving from one eco-system to another has a larger barrier and a longer cycle.

The point I wanted to make here is that because there is a contract system, even a guy who works in McDonalds can get an iPhone. Whereas in India and other countries, that is not even an option. Here, paying the full amount upfront makes us look at other models and this is where Android and WP come in. The lowest WP right now in India is the Lumia 610 for 12k. Android starts from 5k I think.

That is the only thing I was trying to say.

The point I wanted to make here is that because there is a contract system, even a guy who works in McDonalds can get an iPhone. Whereas in India and other countries, that is not even an option. Here, paying the full amount upfront makes us look at other models and this is where Android and WP come in. The lowest WP right now in India is the Lumia 610 for 12k. Android starts from 5k I think.

That is the only thing I was trying to say.
How much do you pay every month for your phone bill? Compare that with what the McD employee would be paying.

Yeah, especially in Canada, an average phone bill would be around $50/month. Its ridiculously expense here, I have to pay $7/month just for Caller ID!

Yeah, especially in Canada, an average phone bill would be around $50/month. Its ridiculously expense here, I have to pay $7/month just for Caller ID!

The cheapest plan I could find on AT&T here in the US is $65 per month. The system in US+Canada is atrocious.

400 minutes of calls per month 9 AM - 5 PM Monday to Friday (incoming+outgoing)
5000 minutes of calls per month evenings and weekends (incoming+outgoing)
200 MB (I repeat 200 MB! of data.) If I go over, I get charged $15 for 200 MB instead of being bumped up into the next tier for the month.
0 Text messages. I get charged 20 cents for an incoming message.

Fortunately, I am moving to a new plan.

Unlimited text and web.
100 minutes of phone calls a month.
$30 per month.

I am on Wi-Fi at home and work, so I will use some free VOIP services for outgoing minutes.

Family calling plans/prepaid is the way to go. (in the US/Canada)

I pay $30 a month for unlimited data and around 1000minutes of calling :)

This year's design isn't a radical departure frm last year's but if you never owned an iphone 4 or 4S it doesn't really matter does it ? Although this year apple didn't radically alter their design or bring any new hardware feature they did fix one of the major complaints people had with their iphones---a 3.5 inch screen.
Frankly i am more concerned abt the lack of voice guided navigation in india.That's one thing i badly wanted and might just force me to get a lumia.Might go for a lumia 800 or 900 since i hate the glossy back of the new 920 and other than the camera other features don't really interest me much. Another disappointment is SIRI.Apple has failed to take it to the next level.Could have done much more with it. I don't care abt lack of NFC, wireless changing,etc,etc or for that matter inclusion of LTE.Just don't see myself using any of these "features".

Price of unlocked I phone 5 has been decided by Apple 680 euros (~ 903$) for Germany. So its close to 51000 INR.

This is not US pricing. It will be different in US and yes India it will be obscenely expensive as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

This year's design isn't a radical departure frm last year's but if you never owned an iphone 4 or 4S it doesn't really matter does it ? Although this year apple didn't radically alter their design or bring any new hardware feature they did fix one of the major complaints people had with their iphones---a 3.5 inch screen.
Frankly i am more concerned abt the lack of voice guided navigation in india.That's one thing i badly wanted and might just force me to get a lumia.Might go for a lumia 800 or 900 since i hate the glossy back of the new 920 and other than the camera other features don't really interest me much. Another disappointment is SIRI.Apple has failed to take it to the next level.Could have done much more with it. I don't care abt lack of NFC, wireless changing,etc,etc or for that matter inclusion of LTE.Just don't see myself using any of these "features".

Voice guided navigation is available on iPhone for India through 3rd party apps. I know google provides that but it started just now and it requires data connection. Offline GPS solutions are available.

Back