Apple Wonderlust 2023 (12th Sept'23)

What are you guys most excited for?

• Total voters
lKUk8oC.jpg
atixx5V.jpg

Last edited:
When I was looking to buy one years ago, people were talking about PCM being limited due to the hardware restriction iBose has mentioned (didn't know US models aren't restricted). My understanding was what we're able to do with UAPP is basically amplifying the source (i.e. in digital) to make up for the hardware limitation. So, my bad, I guess. Probably dated incorrect info. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct, while UAPP probably can do source amplification, that would cause clipping and distortion in the analog stages if the amplifier is already driven at full capacity. In this case, UAPP loads a custom USB driver for the dongle (android provides the capability to apps to register a driver that would seek user permission to load on device enumeration), this driver is more feature rich and has hardware volume control support. You can crank the volume to 100% on UAPP, which actually sets the hardware volume of the dongle.

Is this the same with iOS as well?
Don't have an iOS device, but I'd guess apple has baked in driver that supports all the features of the dongle.

This is not new.
USB Type C is a mess. It caused lot more issues in its early days making Google create certification.
This is from Samsung:
That warning is only to warn people from using cheap unbranded cables, and only really there to cover their liability legally. You can use any android brand's cable and the worst thing that'll happen is it'll charge slowly, literally entire India is doing it. Apple users though should not attempt this and use everything Apple certified because you never know when something doesn't work and your warranty will be void.

In this case, UAPP loads a custom USB driver for the dongle (android provides the capability to apps to register a driver that would seek user permission to load on device enumeration), this driver is more feature rich and has hardware volume control support. You can crank the volume to 100% on UAPP, which actually sets the hardware volume of the dongle.
Oh, okay. So, how does it work with the power limitation? 0.5Vrms is enough for the DAC in the dongle to output whatever volume we set with UAPP?

Oh, okay. So, how does it work with the power limitation? 0.5Vrms is enough for the DAC in the dongle to output whatever volume we set with UAPP?
0.5v rms is the analog output 1khz sine wave rms voltage, not the dac input. Apple has 2 different dongles, A2049, the us variant, has 1vrms max output, while the eu and Indian variant, A2155 has a max 0.5vrms output. UAPP doesn't know (or care) about the analog stages, it sets the hardware volume control, 100% volume can either be 0.5vrms or 1vrms, depending on the dac variant.

0.5v rms is the analog output 1khz sine wave rms voltage, not the dac input. Apple has 2 different dongles, A2049, the us variant, has 1vrms max output, while the eu and Indian variant, A2155 has a max 0.5vrms output. UAPP doesn't know (or care) about the analog stages, it sets the hardware volume control, 100% volume can either be 0.5vrms or 1vrms, depending on the dac variant.
Ah, understood. Thanks for explaining!

This still sounds like a lack of regulation/specification issue to me. Imagine if there was no USB PD - iPhones & Androids may implement such features just for their own set of devices; this is not the case now simply because such a specification exists. (i.e) If you connect an iPhone and Android (both with USB PD compatibility), it is just as same as connecting iPhones to iPhones and such.

With the lack of headphone jack, it is only reasonable to treat USB audio as the basic necessity that it is. There can still be unique features that one can develop to make their product standout, as it is the case with BT audio now. Integrated app compatibility, fine; proprietary codec, fine; but to hinder something basic like volume shouldn't be legal. I don't know/understand the rationale behind Android not allowing direct volume control or Apple defaulting to a decreased volume.

Any real world feedback on how prone the titanium body is to scratches?
Natural titanium is very easy to maintain. Scratches can be removed. Other colors, when scratched will reveal natural titanium color beneath and it will look ugly. Not that easy to scratch if you use a case.

Finally, the natural titanium pro max is available at Sangeetha (in store pickup). But heck, I cannot buy one now as we have a trip next week and I dont want to make my wife angry and upset before the trip and ruin the trip. Have to wait till second week of next month.

Back