Apple Wonderlust 2023 (12th Sept'23)

What are you guys most excited for?

• Total voters
I guess it can be considered under operating temperature range.
Bro, now you're saying it's probably not bad? That is the surface temperature, to be clear.

It is possible that the temperature sensors in the iPhone have no idea of this (it's a common defect in macbooks), else it'd have already throttled to keep the temperature down.

It is possible that the temperature sensors in the iPhone have no idea of this

It's the opposite actually, the internal temperature will always be more than the external temperature. Inside is the heat source, and the sensor definitely knows about it.

The temperature reduces as we go from from internal layer to outer layer, this happens because of the thermal resistance of whatever material is in between.

One more thing if the external temperature, whatever it is, is stable, that means the phone is completely dissipating the heat that is generating inside, result of that is the internal temperature will also be stable. The sensor will be getting the internal temperature and it might be under the threshold value due to which the message is not popping up.

Faruk from iPhonedo has this interesting take on overheating of iPhone 15 and battery woes. He has been vocal that Instagram on iOS17 has been draining battery and it could be one of the reasons for 15 series

Last edited:
the sensor definitely knows about it
You misunderstood. I was talking about such sensor not working properly. [link]

Just to not get into this any further, let me just say I wouldn't want to be holding a device that is 47C to the touch, regardless of whether the device, or anyone for that matter, considers it "under operating temperature".
Dark from iPhone has this interesting take on overheating of iPhone 15 and battery woes. He has been vocal that Instagram on iOS17 has been draining battery and it could be one of the reasons for 15 series

I don't use instagram, but have heard from friends that it is brutal on battery and data as well.

Last edited:
Saw that feature where the iphone automatically shows you which gate you would be boarding, it's little touches like these that'll make it almost impossible to compete for android phones in the near future. Apple's ecosystem is so tempting.

What’s new here? Even Android makers advise against using cables from another brand.
The new here in my opinion is that as of right now with what I am seeing on Twitter, it maybe the cause of iPhone overheating and stop charging. In relation to that I said.
Let's see how this pans out.

The new here in my opinion is that as of right now with what I am seeing on Twitter, it maybe the cause of iPhone overheating and stop charging. In relation to that I said.
Let's see how this pans out.
This is not new.
USB Type C is a mess. It caused lot more issues in its early days making Google create certification.
This is from Samsung:

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpeg
    IMG_3444.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
This is not new.
USB Type C is a mess. It caused lot more issues in its early days making Google create certification.
This is from Samsung:
Thats pretty standard.
But is it true that apple type c has gap between pins as stated in the article above?
Doesnt that defeats the whole purpose of having a common type c port.

There appears to be a smaller gap in the 9-pin and 11-pin connectors. When connected to the iPhone 15, the connector side of the cable might overheat, causing problems for the device’s USB-C port.

Thats pretty standard.
But is it true that apple type c has gap between pins as stated in the article above?
Doesnt that defeats the whole purpose of having a common type c port.

Again, this pin arrangement differs from brand to brand which is why I never use other brands cables for charging. I always used Apple type c cable to charge my iPad. Oneplus cable and charger for oneplus 8 and Mi cable for Mi phone. Overheating and/or slower charging are most common issues if we use diffferent cables. Unless that different cable has same pin arrangement and voltage support.

USB Type C is a mess.
This goes for USB standard in general; not much of a standard. There's already a well known disparity on how Apple's Type C to 3.5mm adapter works on iPhones and Androids. Hopefully, as issues like these get more common, there'll be better regulations and they'll implement a proper standard.

Again, this pin arrangement differs from brand to brand which is why I never use other brands cables for charging.
The physical location of the pins should never change, I'd assume that would make it non compliant with the USB -Cstandard. At minimum, Vbus, Gnd, D+, D- and CC pins are required to be wired correctly in the type c connector, as well as the proper termination resistors. Bad things will happen if someone uses an out of spec cable (including burning down your devices in the early days of USB C).

What OnePlus (BBK family with their VOOC) do, is final power conversion on the power brick itself, and using existing pins. There is no hardware pin difference, just a protocol that checks for valid power train before enabling vooc, and there is no risk of either of the charger or device being damaged when the other is not vooc compatible (including the cable).

PD works similarly, there's a handshake that decides the final voltage and current supplied on the VBUS. PPS works similarly.

Apple is long known for not complying with standard specs, one of them that recently bit me in the ass is displayport MST. Mst is a non optional dp spec, but the macos driver does not implement mst, but same laptop running windows in bootcamp does.
There's already a well known disparity on how Apple's Type C to 3.5mm adapter works on iPhones and Androids
That's an apple dac + android driver issue, again not a problem with USB spec. The apple dac sets a <100% volume on startup, and the default android driver can not access hardware volume control, max volume is capped. I use the UAPP driver to change the apple dac hardware volume to 100%, close UAPP and use the dongle at max volume.

Look up something like "Apple's Type C to 3.5mm adapter low volume on Android".
The adapter model sold here are power limited to output max 0.5Vrms unlike the full 1V available in US models. It's already discussed in the dedicated thread for this product in TE.
Unfortunately the Android's default audio driver implementation is a mess and you also need to use something like the UAPP driver mentioned above to bypass it and get bit-perfect audio.

Last edited:
That is because the adapter model sold here are power limited to output max 0.5Vrms unlike the full 1V available in US models. It's already discussed in the dedicated thread for this product in TE.
Actually, even the US variant does not go to full power on android without the custom UAPP driver, i have a few of them us variants (A2049).

That's an apple dac + android driver issue, again not a problem with USB spec. The apple dac sets a <100% volume on startup, and the default android driver can not access hardware volume control, max volume is capped. I use the UAPP driver to change the apple dac hardware volume to 100%, close UAPP and use the dongle at max volume.
The adapter model sold here are power limited to output max 0.5Vrms unlike the full 1V available in US models. It's already discussed in the dedicated thread for this product in TE.
When I was looking to buy one years ago, people were talking about PCM being limited due to the hardware restriction iBose has mentioned (didn't know US models aren't restricted). My understanding was what we're able to do with UAPP is basically amplifying the source (i.e. in digital) to make up for the hardware limitation. So, my bad, I guess. Probably dated incorrect info. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The apple dac sets a <100% volume on startup
Is this the same with iOS as well?

Back