Apple Wonderlust 2023 (12th Sept'23)

What are you guys most excited for?

• Total voters
The pricing is becoming sadder by the year. I was looking forward to upgrade from my 11 pro max to 15 pro max, but 1,59,900Rs is straight up unaffordable, will move to android instead.
It sure is a lot of money for a phone that will run the same apps and offer largely the same features as its own siblings priced 1 lac cheaper.

At that price I think people are just paying for the feeling that they haven't compromised on anything at all. That they are getting the best camera best screen best battery best everything that the platform (android or iOS) has to offer.

At that price I think people are just paying for the feeling that they haven't compromised on anything at all. That they are getting the best camera best screen best battery best everything that the platform (android or iOS) has to offer.
Definitely not the best battery life. A budget/mid-ranger with a power efficient SoC combined with a low-res display, will blow the flagships out of the water.

For me, the primary reason why I would want to spend 1.5L on a smartphone would be longer upgrade cycle. Since these are highly depreciable assets, cost amortisation across the years makes it easier to justify the spend.

Apple iPhone 15 Pro deliveries slip to October in sign of demand

It appears to me that Apple is artificially jacking the delivery dates to give the feeling that Pro/Pro Max stock is sold out. Many of those who got delivery estimates as Oct(in US/Europe), are now seeing their phones being shipped.

I have been buying Plus(prior to X) / Pro Max for straight 7 years on the launch day. Ordered 15 Pro Max 256 GB on 15th Sept at launch minute.

But with every passing day since 15th, I am really struggling with the urge to cancel the order, I do not see any significant enhancement in any area, and even then apple had the audacity to jack up the prices.

Sure, I am an apple fanboy, I have everything apple, but getting fooled by Apple's marketing gimmick is something I can not bear. 15 PM might be a worthy upgrade from 12 PM or 13 PM, but not from 14 PM.

Hopefully reviews will kick off on Monday 18th, and if 15 Pro Max is indeed just marketing, Order's getting cancelled dear APPLE. Really disappointed.

Last edited:
Sure, I am an apple fanboy, I have everything apple, but getting fooled by Apple's marketing gimmick is something I can not bear. 15 PM might be a worthy upgrade from 12 PM or 13 PM, but not from 14 PM.
I don’t think these phones are meant to be upgraded every cycle.. Very few people do that and it is kinda pointless like you rightly said.
A lot of people I know (including myself) are planning to upgrade from the 11 or 12 series variants and that’s why the relatively high prices don’t hurt as much.

Even with an upgrade from 11 PM, i know it isn’t going to be a transformative experience other than 5g and a better camera - everything else will be more or less the same..
Compulsive upgraders will consider it a bad thing ; while for some it would mean that older models also continue to get feature parity - which helps with the overall longevity

Last edited:
I don’t think these phones are meant to be upgraded every cycle.. Very few people do that and it is kinda pointless like you rightly said.
A lot of people I know (including myself) are planning to upgrade from the 11 or 12 series variants and that’s why the relatively high prices don’t hurt as much.

Even with an upgrade from 11 PM, i know it isn’t going to be a transformative experience other than 5g and a better camera - everything else will be more or less the same..
Compulsive upgraders will consider it a bad thing ; while for some it would mean that older models also continue to get feature parity - which helps with the overall longevity
I think 1 thing which is being overlooked here is the RAM capacity.
Upto 12PM, we had 4GB and on 15PM we are getting 8GB, which is a major upgrade. I know iOS has a good ram management, but lately I cannot keep many apps in background (my iPhone has 4GB).

Definitely not the best battery life. A budget/mid-ranger with a power efficient SoC combined with a low-res display, will blow the flagships out of the water.

For me, the primary reason why I would want to spend 1.5L on a smartphone would be longer upgrade cycle. Since these are highly depreciable assets, cost amortisation across the years makes it easier to justify the spend.
cost amortisation doesn't really make sense to me, let me put it this way,

let's assume an average cycle of 5 years before someone will upgrade their iPhone, 1.5L spread out over this period will come out to just 30k per year and that's not even taking into account the costs for apple care and miscellaneous maintainence like changing phone batteries, glass back and such.

Is it really worth the cost of spending 30k+ every year on average for a phone where you can get a decent Android mid range for that price.

I think 1 thing which is being overlooked here is the RAM capacity.
Upto 12PM, we had 4GB and on 15PM we are getting 8GB, which is a major upgrade. I know iOS has a good ram management, but lately I cannot keep many apps in background (my iPhone has 4GB).
10K for 2 GB RAM in Pro Max is a costly affair.

10K for 2 GB RAM in Pro Max is a costly affair.
You mean justifying the price increase? Isn’t the price same? They have bumped up the storage. Anyway one would hardly buy 128 GB with PM if they are planning to keep it for a few years.

Also, if one is planning to play those AAA games on Pro models, they would definitely need that extra storage.

You mean justifying the price increase? Isn’t the price same? They have bumped up the storage. Anyway one would hardly buy 128 GB with PM if they are planning to keep it for a few years.

Also, if one is planning to play those AAA games on Pro models, they would definitely need that extra storage.
Correct ur maths. Last year 256GB iPhone 14 PM was 149900 and this year 256GB iPhone 15 PM is 159900.

Correct ur maths. Last year 256GB iPhone 14 PM was 149900 and this year 256GB iPhone 15 PM is 159900.
I eat my words. I thought since US price wasn’t increased, even Indian price was same. This is sad.

They have increased 15 pro price as well compared to 14 pro.

I eat my words. I thought since US price wasn’t increased, even Indian price was same. This is sad.

They have increased 15 pro price as well compared to 14 pro.
:) I am trying hard to get convinced that I should not cancel my pre-order for 256GB Black iPhone 15PM, but the more I think, the more challenging it gets.

Is it really worth the cost of spending 30k+ every year on average for a phone where you can get a decent Android mid range for that price.
That;s not a valid comparison really. If you must draw this comparison - it wil be against something like a s23 ultra.
or 75K on a base 15 against say a s23.

Is it worth spending that kind of money on phones (whether apple or android)? Proably not - but again, people spend way more than that on even bags and watches .. to each his/her own.. no?

That;s not a valid comparison really. If you must draw this comparison - it wil be against something like a s23 ultra.
or 75K on a base 15 against say a s23.

Is it worth spending that kind of money on phones (whether apple or android)? Proably not - but again, people spend way more than that on even bags and watches .. to each his/her own.. no?
fair point, but the OP was talking about cost amortization on the 15 PM, that's why I did that comparison.

Since these are highly depreciable assets, cost amortisation across the years makes it easier to justify the spend.
I really want to understand this, but couldn't. I googled and found 'amortisation' to be basically "paying off debt over a period of time". But that doesn't seem to make sense here.

Could someone put this in layman terms for me please?

I really want to understand this, but couldn't. I googled and found 'amortisation' to be basically "paying off debt over a period of time". But that doesn't seem to make sense here.

Could someone put this in layman terms for me please?
I think in the OP's context, he meant spreading the cost of the iPhone over a typical life cycle makes it easier to swallow the upfront high cost of the phone, since iPhones last longer, over there period of time you won't spend on a new phone this balancing out the cost of the phone.

fair point, but the OP was talking about cost amortization on the 15 PM, that's why I did that comparison.
yeah, but i think OPs point was the overall VFM being higher than what it appears upfront..
My current phone just completed 4 years and previous upgrade cycles have been similar.

even with the upcoming upgrade, there isn’t much of a need for me to do it - just that 4 years is a long time.. My 4 year old device continues to be super zippy for pretty much everything - the only thing compelling me is the lack of 5g

Most android flagship buyers OTOH tend to switch phones over much shorter durations so the overall TCO goes up I guess

Back