Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

Hi Chaoseater

I am from Bangalore and I successfully did the Custom FW flashing and installation of Optware and Transmission.

I managed to complete all the above very recently (only yesterday).

I would be glad to help you out. Please PM me your contact number or email address.
Thanks for the help brother. I have PM'ed my contact details. Let me know.

prasanna3k -Thanks a lot Bro for the help, my router has been lying useless for 6 months. Now, the power of DD-WRT and transmission is unleashed on my router. I have left the downloads for the day and have come to office. Hope the downloads are successfully done by then I reach home.

I am currently using my 16gig pendrive for downloads. My downloads will be around 10-15Gb files. My PD is not enough for such files. I have 500GB external HDD. I have lots of data on it. Is it possible make three partittions like two partitions in EXT3 format for downloads from the router and remaining space as NTFS for storing data and use in Windows OS (EXT3 formatted drive do not work on Windows). Any inputs?

Dont use NTFS not on linux , use Pen Drive for install and HDD for transmission downloads.

For ext3 to work with windows you need ext2fs i posted that info on first page itself

prasanna3k -Thanks a lot Bro for the help, my router has been lying useless for 6 months. Now, the power of DD-WRT and transmission is unleashed on my router. I have left the downloads for the day and have come to office. Hope the downloads are successfully done by then I reach home.

I am currently using my 16gig pendrive for downloads. My downloads will be around 10-15Gb files. My PD is not enough for such files. I have 500GB external HDD. I have lots of data on it. Is it possible make three partittions like two partitions in EXT3 format for downloads from the router and remaining space as NTFS for storing data and use in Windows OS (EXT3 formatted drive do not work on Windows). Any inputs?

Prefer using pendrive. If HDD crashes due to lots of read & write, you will loose all your downloads :)

Prefer using pendrive. If HDD crashes due to lots of read & write, you will loose all your downloads :)
Pen drives are more prone to crashing..
I too have used pen drive more than 6 months and faced many problems like frequent crashing, high load avg,very slow transmission downloads, low transfer speeds, mounting issues..
Now using hdd from two weeks with no problems :)

^BTW, how do you manage your data storage on HDD. Have you exclusively kept the HDD for download? Because, I have only one external HDD, I want to dedicate 50GB for downloads on ASUS router and the remaining space for normal day to day use. Is this possible?

Pen drives are more prone to crashing..
I too have used pen drive more than 6 months and faced many problems like frequent crashing, high load avg,very slow transmission downloads, low transfer speeds, mounting issues..
Now using hdd from two weeks with no problems :)

Using Corsair from 2 years. NO issues at all. 25MB+ transfer speed. It depends which brand you use.
What happens when ur HDD crashes.. You loose say 50 GB + Data ?
for USB its just 4/6/8 GB :)

^BTW, how do you manage your data storage on HDD. Have you exclusively kept the HDD for download? Because, I have only one external HDD, I want to dedicate 50GB for downloads on ASUS router and the remaining space for normal day to day use. Is this possible?
Neh using my 160gb hdd only for downloading;-)
Using Corsair from 2 years. NO issues at all. 25MB+ transfer speed. It depends which brand you use.
What happens when ur HDD crashes.. You loose say 50 GB + Data ?
for USB its just 4/6/8 GB :)
My 1 download is more than 20gb
And after downloading more than 50gb I make a backup :)
Thats easy and can be done in 3-4 days:)
Btw low space hdd is much better option than low space high quality pen drive;):)

Neh using my 160gb hdd only for downloading;-)

My 1 download is more than 20gb
And after downloading more than 50gb I make a backup :)
Thats easy and can be done in 3-4 days:)
Btw low space hdd is much better option than low space high quality pen drive;):)
You seldomly find a low space HDD these days. In case you find one too, its price is equivalent to current generation ones. I am thinking on a 32Gig PD. That should suffice ATM I guess !
My 16gig PD is going on sale very soon !

You should be using HDD for storing your downloads i have being using HDD for last 3 years and a 8GB Pend Drive 3 years too no issues at all.You guys might be shutting down improperly refer previous pages on how to shutdown properly.

I'm unable to get the Airtel 3G stick, the huawei e1731, to work with this router running dd wrt v24sp2
The stick keeps blinking blue but doesn't connect. It works fine on my PC.

These are the settings I put in -

Dial string - *99#
Username - blank
Password - blank
APN - airtelgprs.com
PIN - blank
Connection type - Auto 3G/2G
Force Reconnect - Disable
MTU - 1480

You should be using HDD for storing your downloads i have being using HDD for last 3 years and a 8GB Pend Drive 3 years too no issues at all.You guys might be shutting down improperly refer previous pages on how to shutdown properly.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Will stick to Pendrive for downloads and HDD for storage. I guess, I ll move to a 32 gig pendrive. Because games generally are more than 10gigs to 20gigs.

I followed what Guru said :) Doing the same.. If download is more in size just use 32 or 64 GB Thumbdrive. HDD is for pure storage & play.

I want to thank @nick2012, @Chaoseater for their suggestions and tips but mainly I would like to thank @prasanna3k for configuring optware and transmission, there was a problem after configuring, but he was kind enough take more time out of his schedule to fix it.

I also want to thank @dinjo for writing this guide which is much more intuitive than the the official ddwrt guide :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back