Which one is faster?

• Asus X201E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acer Aspire V5-121

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aalaap

Recruit
I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

Asus X201E (Flipkart; Rs. 19,399)
vs.
Acer Aspire V5-121 (eBay; Rs. 18,990)

This isn't really about the price. Both cost a sliver under 20k and offer similar specs, except that the Asus has a Celeron Dual Core 1.8GHz, while the Acer has an AMD C60 at 1 GHz (1.33 Turbo Core). The Asus seems faster, but it's got Intel gfx, while the AMD has more promising Radeon gfx.

Has anyone actually used (and I mean properly used) either of these laptops?

The rest of the specs are more or less the same or don't matter. I'll max out the RAM (8GB, I guess) and swap out the HDD for an SSD. I'll be running Windows 8 on this, after I've made my peace with it (with help from Start8, 8gadgetpack and WinAeroGlass).

At home, I'm mostly going to be using a 22"+ monitor, keyboard and mouse, so I'll mostly be running it at 1920x1080. The native 720p res is fine for on-road or on-couch usage.

I mostly use development tools - editors, IDEs etc., but I do use Fireworks/Photoshop and similar graphics tools frequently. I don't do much multimedia production work.

Which one do you think will be faster?

The Asus will be way faster. The C60 chip is AMD's answer to Intel's Atom, so its not even meant to be competitive with an Ivy bridge based Celeron.

Edit: There's one big shortcoming with the Asus though, it looks like the RAM is soldered to the motherboard, and there are no expansion slots to increase the amount of RAM.

Last edited:
Back