Asus Xonar sound cards - DG,DX and STX

Dear PristineNote...I am all set to buy a Xonar DG...but 1 important thing is confusing me...I'm getting reports that the Xonar outputs only 2 audio channels over SPDIF optical out ...(even if the source ex- movies are encoded with 5.1 or more Multichannel DD & DTS audio) & are output as stereo (2.0) channels only,even in multichannel speaker setup.

Is this true?... are there no options of passthrough for these multichannel audio formats(by using media player like home cinema classic or vlc)....so that my Logitech Z5500D receiver can receive them ,recognize the respective digital formats(display the audio format logo) & output them as true multichannel (DD & DTS) as encoded in source & as they were meant to be heard!
*my 8 yr old mobo onboard realtek audio device through optical- spdif out could do this minimum.

I am actually searching for a decent cheap alternative to my mobo onboard realtek audio device which has gone kaput,....so as to play multichannel audio (movies) on my Logitech Z-5500D speakers,connected by optical Spdif.
...btw,..i'm mainly a movies guy!

So help to reply & clarify this issue ASAP!

The only surround formats SPDIF can carry are Dolby Digital and DTS. Aside from those formats, you are limited to stereo.

The DG lacks the software support necessary to convert a 5.1 PCM stream to Dolby/DTS, and is thus limited to 2.1 when using SPDIF, unless the audio is already in one of those formats (eg-dvd/bluray movies)

@Techie#1 In your case , the Xonar DX could work since it supports DTS-C and DDL encoders.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only surround formats SPDIF can carry are Dolby Digital and DTS. Aside from those formats, you are limited to stereo.

The DG lacks the software support necessary to convert a 5.1 PCM stream to Dolby/DTS, and is thus limited to 2.1 when using SPDIF, unless the audio is already in one of those formats (eg-dvd/bluray movies)

@Techie#1 In your case , the Xonar DX could work since it supports DTS-C and DDL encoders.
So what i basically understand from that is ....

1) like any other multichannel(6,7,8 channel) mobo onboard sound(with spdif),.....the xonar DG can do a raw DD & DTS passthrough (via media player classic or vlc,etc) through "optical spdif" directly to a DD & DTS capable receiver( like the Logitech Z-5500D),so that it can correctly detect the DD & DTS stream in it & display the correct multichannel audio format(DD or DTS) & hence play correctly those prencoded DD or DTS track !

2) since the Xonar DG lacks the adequate software/hardware ( for it is cheap-least costly) it cannot however do any "on-the-fly" (fake artificial) conversion of any 5.1 pcm stream(like games etc) to DD/DTS like DTS-C & DDL,since they are NOT prencoded as multichannel & hence output them as pcm-stereo only...

Is my understanding on this correct?

Now,as for me,...i know the Xonar DX could have have been better for me(since it has DTS-C & DDL support & also it is on future proof PCI-E ),...but what I'm actually looking here is really a cheap alternative to my mobo's onboard sound(realtek 850 that has gone bad) & that will sound equal to it if not better & also do a optical spdif passthrough of the multichannel DD & DTS tracks & output properly the DD & DTS tracks(as my realtek onboard sound device could also do). Also since the Logitech Z-5500D has a DAC (mayb Not so good or efficient as the Xonar Dx) of its own & can convert/upmix any two(2) channel audio steam to 5.1 (like Dobly Prologic 2Music & movies), & also since any upmix by DTS-C & DDL (however good & efficient) is essentially fake/artificial, i think i can still rely on my logitech z-5500d dac for the upmix to get all other artificial surround sound(through optical & analogue).I'm also budget strapped to buy the Xonar DG only,& simply i cannot afford to buy the XonarDX (if NOT for very strong valid reason of much sound quality difference) a.t.m ,since i have to put much money into my next pc upgradation(the xonar dg will Not be put/carried forward in my new system).

Now,do you think,what i make out of my situation & of the Xonar DG (optical spdif) issue is correct & i'm fine to go ahead with the purchase of it(as per the needs of mine)?

Please do reply most sincerely ,as you are the audio expert here & I honestly need a sound answer asap.

best regards :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ The Xonar DG will sound a lot better than your sound card even on low end Chinese make headphones worth rs 300. I say this out of experience.

^^ That i think i already know/enough feedback on net already! ,....btw,i am not someone who uses cans very much,nor game much...i'm more of a movie fan being a regular collector of HQ HD movie rips floating around in the net,playing them through my Logitech z-5500D digitally(optical spdif) .It is more about me understanding how xonar dg handles multichannel DD & DTS through optical spdif,if it can output proper multichannel prencoded DD & DTS out through direct passthrough(see my previous post) & getting the full effect.It is also about making the choice between Xonar DG & Xonar DX,appropriate for my minimum expectation & within my limited budget constraints ![DOUBLEPOST=1365668700][/DOUBLEPOST]bump for a answer..PN....i need to make a decision on purchase fast !

^^ That i think i already know/enough feedback on net already! ,....btw,i am not someone who uses cans very much,nor game much...i'm more of a movie fan being a regular collector of HQ HD movie rips floating around in the net,playing them through my Logitech z-5500D digitally(optical spdif) .It is more about me understanding how xonar dg handles multichannel DD & DTS through optical spdif,if it can output proper multichannel prencoded DD & DTS out through direct passthrough(see my previous post) & getting the full effect.It is also about making the choice between Xonar DG & Xonar DX,appropriate for my minimum expectation & within my limited budget constraints !

From what I understand if your movies audio stream have are encoded in RAW DTS / Dolby Digital Xonar DG will play it through the SPDIF but it wont play PCM files . So you will get 5.1 sound from most of your HD movies but not from games/windows sounds etc.

^^Thanks bro for the reply,..for 5.1 sound in games/windows sound,i think my Logitech z-5500d would do the upmix to 5.1 by Dolby Prologic2(onboard the receiver) ,though surely i would be missing the better "on the fly" DTS-C & DDL upmix encodes of the Xonar DX,...but for limited budget of mine,I think i can live with the Xonar DG if it can appropriately send/passthrough multichannel encoded DD & DTS tracks to the receiver over spdif!

I would be SURELY placing the order,even if a little late (as explained in p.m) :)

Original Thread updated with up to date pricing. Last few units left for DG,DX,STX and ST. Prices expected to go up we.f. 1st June 2013 once new stock arrives.

asus.JPG

Hi,
I need a Asus Xonar DG PCI Sound Card, is it available, if anyone's coming towards Kharghar today, can you please tell'em to get it.

Last edited:
Hi,
I need a Asus Xonar DG PCI Sound Card, is it available, if anyone's coming towards Kharghar today, can you please tell'em to get it.

Sorry , we don't have any one traveling towards Kharghar in coming few days . You will have to collect it from office / warehouse or order it online and get it shipped for next day delivery.

Back