Asus Xonar sound cards - DG,DX and STX

^We will be stocking the same very soon . Have been in talks with Asus about the Essence One since it's launch in India . Trying to get the best price for it . MRP has been fixed at Rs.21,000 . ~20k or so might be the expected street pricing . There has not been much feedback or reviews about the product but its looks very promising on paper . We will probably be able to test it out once we receive a sample.

What are your views on the product about its possible market in India ?

Well, At that price this DAC is directly pitted against some well known stand alone DACs like the CA DACmagic, VDAC, rDAC.

The part selection & design does look promising & this initial review is quite positive.

The Xonar ST/STX have developed a reasonable following among audiophiles owning HTPC users & those looking to upgrade from those sound cards would seriously consider this. The usual PC gamer crowd shouldn't have much interest in such a product though.

We probably need a review from a fellow member who has some experience of DACs of this price range/class.

^ Wow :O Had totally forgot about this one . Just checked ,its already launched here. I might be able to source a review loaner as well but I am not sure if I am experienced enough to review something of this caliber .The best DACs Ive tried have always been under 15k mark . Currently using the HUD-MX1.

Titana , you would be the one of best contender on TE to review it I believe.

Review is looking positive but it totally depends on the listener/buyer that what kinda sound signature he needs and whether it will be good or bad with his present set-up. Now the question is how gud it is against V-DAC, DACMagic. Arcam rDAC is not that good before V-DAC and DACMagic but it is highly priced than the two.

FaH33m said:
Titana , you would be the one of best contender on TE to review it I believe.

I am not sure that's correct.

The best source I currently own is my DC coupled & opamp upgraded Xonar STX.

I 'll be receiving couple of nice DACs next month - a modded Assemblage 2.0 DAC & the Adcom GDA-600. These are both older DACs based on Burr-brown ladder R2R PCM170X chips & have a stellar reputation among audiophile as mid-range DACs. However, I am not sure if other members would be interested in/benefit from a comparison to these vintage DACs.

^ I would be :p. Having read about the 'superiority' of R2R PCM170X on Audio-GD threads, it's time to put that theory to the test.

Why would two reviews be 'bad'?

Faheem can compare to Audinst MX-1, one of the best among sub-10K DAC/Amps and also MSII (or MSII+ ?) from Brendon can be loaned to make it a three way contest.

You can pit it against STX and the vintage DACs. Plus, you already have lot of opamps, so trying out opamp rolling in at least some of those 11 spots should be easier :). If any of the interested members can loan either of you DacMagic / V-DAC, it would make it doubly interesting, though that would mean lot more A-B.

abhi_jollyguy said:
Review is looking positive but it totally depends on the listener/buyer that what kinda sound signature he needs and whether it will be good or bad with his present set-up. Now the question is how gud it is against V-DAC, DACMagic. Arcam rDAC is not that good before V-DAC and DACMagic but it is highly priced than the two.

^ With 11 op-amps to tune the sound signature , I don't think one will have to worry much about matching sound signature . I just recently bought the MX1 but my hearts already onto this , especially after reading about its sweet spot for bass :D

Anyways we have completely turned this dealer thread into OT/ tech discussion . Maybe someone should start a dedicated thread for Essence One.

Back