Asus (Zenfone) 8Z Launch on 28th Feb

Have they fixed the issues or are they just dumping unsold inventory here after a year ?

They had issues using the zenfone brand name in India.

They had issues using the zenfone brand name in India.

That is in 2019 so not sure that was the actual reason. Anyways, I was referring to this -

That is in 2019 so not sure that was the actual reason. Anyways, I was referring to this -

I was referring to the dumping part, Yes it was in 2019 but they still can't use the Zen trademark in India.
I'm aware about the issue but it seems as minor as problems facing any other device tbh.
Depends on the pricing for me, else it's the S20FE I'm going for.

It should have been launched at a bit lesser price like 36999 or 35999. The reviews are good though especially for the UI and the Camera.

Asking the right questions
I went on the flipkart page for 8z and didn't find anything like dedicated cooling. Maybe I missed something but why not change the chip to 870 which still is a powerful chip.
The phone does claim to have good DAC(3.5 mm jack is being shown as a plus, which given that it is more common to take jack out is a plus, sadly).

Does it have dedicated cooling for extracting more performance from sd 888?
Asking the right questions
From GSMArena's review:

"Now, let's talk about sustained performance.

First, Asus says it has to come up with a new solution for the board as it just couldn't fit everything into the Zenfone 8 shell. Instead of two stacked PCB boards connected with ribbons, the maker now uses interposer between the two boards and thus saves a lot of space, allowing for more components. The cooling is done via the usual heat pipe solution. And the aluminum frame helps with heat dissipation.

With all this said, the phone behaves very well for a jam-packed-with-hardware little fella. It scored 85% stability on the 3D Mark Wild Life Stress Test at 120Hz. The 15% drop happened halfway and it seems like an automatic throttling, but we couldn't really notice it. And this is a very stressful benchmark. So, as far as throttling is concerned - no one should have any worries about the Zenfone 8 - it's minor, and you really have to push the hardware's limits to activate the said 15% drop.

During the stress test or benchmarks like AnTuTu, the phone got hot, and we mean really hot, to the point that it was unpleasant (not dangerous, though) to hold its frame. In fact, it is one of the hottest phones (under peak performance) we've held in quite some time.

When playing games, like Fortnite, the phone's frame and back became warm, but not hot like on the benchmarks. So, the Zenfone 8 will be a bit warmer than what you might have used to handle, but that's the price you need to pay for flagship hardware and uncompromised feature set all crammed up in a small body. And we can't believe the throttling is so minor; remember the iPhone 12 mini?

So, the Zenfone 8 is a powerhouse, a bit hotter than expected, but it gets the job done in the best possible way - no matter if it's an app or game. And will continue to do so for a long time."

Its way overpriced though, as @DrkLord said, they should have used an 870 and priced it around 30k.

The phone does claim to have good DAC(3.5 mm jack is being shown as a plus, which given that it is more common to take jack out is a plus, sadly).
Well just the DAC without the 3.5mm jack would not make sense. That is actually a plus for a certain customer segment, given its pretty much disappeared with LG out.

Well just the DAC without the 3.5mm jack would not make sense. That is actually a plus for a certain customer segment, given its pretty much disappeared with LG out.
Lol, yes. I was talking more about the fact that 3.5 mm jack is being shown as a feature.
Do you know about the dac they are giving?
Will it be better than the quad dacs of LG?

They have made us wait for a long time. But still it is a compact one with flagship features. There are no compact android phones in market. Pixel 6a may launch soon. If it has better to offer, then will look towards pixel 6a. If pixel 6a comes with compact size and under 35k.

Lol, yes. I was talking more about the fact that 3.5 mm jack is being shown as a feature.
Do you know about the dac they are giving?
Will it be better than the quad dacs of LG?
Looks like I was mistaken on the DACs they are touting - its for the speakers.
The speakers are powered by a dual Cirrus Logic CS35L45 Mono AMP with Dirac HD optimization.
Its 3.5mm audio jack is supported by the built-in Qualcomm WCD9385 DAC.
So its not comparable to LG.

Back