Android AT&T Pantech Burst - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@veer_singh Add --if you downgrade to GB from ICS than mobile again becomes SIM locked but the same code used earlier for unlock works fine

Last edited by a moderator:
After upgrading to ICS my phone does not connect to 3G.I tried changing the network settings to WCDMA only but still it connects only to 2G.Is anyone facing problems with 3G after upgrading to ICS????

Could someone here please compile a list of pros and cons from the ICS update based on their experience with it? Also, I am curious about the question posted by tomemmanuel above, does it change the way network settings are controlled?

@veer_singh if you downgrade to GB from ICS than mobile again becomes SIM locked but the same code used earlier for unlock works fine

what if phone came unlocked.. like I've ordered for unlocked one from geb.. if I upgrade to ICS & then downgrade, what will happen..

Last edited by a moderator:
After upgrading to ICS my phone does not connect to 3G.I tried changing the network settings to WCDMA only but still it connects only to 2G.Is anyone facing problems with 3G after upgrading to ICS????
I have airtel SIM , And i confirm that phones stuck in 2g mode After tomemmanuel commented on it i checked and yes its stuck . tomemmanuel did you try the code xda guys gave because it doesnt work with that also . What I can understand is all are not having this issue . Was you mobile in 2G before ICS . I had manually changed to 2G in GB and its stuck in 2G after ICS . Now might have to go back to GB change network to LTE/WCDMA/GSM and than go to iCS
manu1991 Befor ICS what was you network . Did you change it or was it in default LTE/WCDMA/GSM ?

@ kuduku : please comment on ICS negatives .
Didnt see it as it didnt send a notification

ICS bug
Somebody from Panama has given all bugs and people in xda are stuck on not able to go to 2G from 3G , funny ?
hi i'm new here just updated the burst to ics but i notice as many of you that there is kind of a bug with the battery it's charged but after a reboot or if turn off/turn on again i notice that the battery shows that it lost a % weird even it is full charged, also i notice that the face unlock method is not working so there is any way to fix this? Also there's no way to change to edge cause here in Panama theres's no lte just hspa+ but the battery is worst than with gingerbread i don't use it too much but wtf it is driving me crazy all these bugs also the interface its bad aplications that i download are in the last part of the applications there's no way to change the wallpaper like the ics of the menu

reply in xda
Battery bug is gone after downgrading to Gingerbread, and then installing ICS update zip by davepmer.
Face unlock works, however you should make these changes: Change lock time (10 min default) and Check to lock after pressing power button.
For 2g only install Widgetsoid 2.x , choose "Signal strenght" , then choose "Mobile network settings" . There you will be able mark/unmark "Use only 2g networks"
Also, i have a problem with my external sd card.Phone says "Damaged SD card" . I have formatted it to FAT32 from win7,but problem still exist.

So the cons
Micros sd card not read correctly , scanner doesnt finish or Damaged card error .
Battery Meter not working correctly , especially after reboots give weird loss.
You are stuck in network mode selected before ICS . If in GB you were on LTE/WCDMA/GSM you are not able to go to 2G from ICS and vice versa if you were in 2G only in GB than you cannot go to 3G in ICS
I havent checked face unlock
Camera is slower than in GB

PRO
Pantech launcher is just like Apex and equally good
Screen quality
Seems snappier with ICS

I had changed it to WCDMA preferred on GB.
yes you were in 3G only in GB , now try going to 2G only by using *#*#4636#*#*

yes, its stuck on that mode.
So now instructions for going into GB
These are confirmed and people have done it in xda

Flash back to GB
- Install Pantech PC Suite (If not already installed)
- Download and extract this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkdoxq7q7cw8dmj/P9070.zip
- Install P9070_Download_Tool_v3.3.exe
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B78NxrFo-Rv8VlhFZzBFZ2dXWVU/edit
- Put your phone into SW Download mode (power off, then hold +,- and power simultaneously).
- Run the Download Tool, select pdl and flash
Dropbox users add this to your dropbox and than download , will save bandwidth of original poster for other users .
Use pdl tool to go back to GB. Root, install cwm, and factory reset plus cleaned dalvik cache. Install ics update zip and factory reset and clear cache again.

ICS update
just use CWM recovery and flash the zip
http://www.4shared.com/zip/BaEpgE_a/JUUS09032012.html
mirror http://level99.thestuffoflegends.net/Stuff/JUUS09032012.zip
mirror https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Lqk5rmmhOBNHE5UlNjYm9MN1U/edit
it is a Clock Work Mod zip RROM file of the Pantech Burst ICS update. It does not change the bootloader or remove CWM recovery and it is rooted

ICS wipe flash
Anyone who is having weird bugs could try doing a super-clean ICS flash:

Note: Requires Root and CWM be installed, running ICS, and you have an external microsd card with at least 500mb free. Take a full nandroid backup and backup your apps/files/messages/anything you care about and dump it on your computer/external sd card.
1. Download davepmer's rooted stock ICS zip: http://www.4shared.com/zip/BaEpgE_a/JUUS09032012.html(Alternate Mirror) & Make sure to save it to your EXTERNAL sd card.
2. Power off, remove your external sd card.
3. Power on, after booted go to Settings -> Storage -> Erase Internal Media Storage
4. Power off. Reinsert external sd card.
5. Hold Vol down + Power until the Pantech logo comes up. Release Power, continue holding Vol down until CWM appears.
6. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe Cache, Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik.
7. Install Zip from sd card -> Choose Zip from sd card -> JUUS09032012.zip
8. After done, reboot.
If you encounter the phone constantly rebooting into CWM, wipe data, cache, and dalvik again, then reboot.

Anyone whose interested go and read xda thread
[Q] Pantech Burst Love, Anyone? Anyone? - Page 93 - xda-developers
especially after post 1850 , the fun starts from here

I HAVE USED THIS TO FLASH BACK TO GB THAN ICS . IT WOKS
@veer_singh add in first post
None of the zips/instructions have been made by me .This is hard work of xda

I upgraded to last night, was a smooth operation, did not really take more than 15 minutes. About that 2g/3g bugs, I reverted the changes in the *#*#4636#*#* menu before I performed the upgrade, and the first thing I did after upgrade was check for network speed, turns out my phone is getting the 3G connection. so it certainly is the case of phone getting stuck in the network mode it was on while in GB. Here are my other observations:

1. Battery consumption is certainly higher side, a full charge phone has lost 90% charge in about 12 hours, off which 5 hours it was not being used, since morning I have used it to play with settings, install multiple apps etc.
2. It feels faster ans smoother than GB, and somehow I like the stock Pantech launcher better than Go/Nova or Apex.
3. Have not noticed greying out of apps reported on desidime or elsewhere, but have not tried with an external micro sd card either.

Will come back to update any more findings I have.

I upgraded to last night, was a smooth operation, did not really take more than 15 minutes. About that 2g/3g bugs, I reverted the changes in the *#*#4636#*#* menu before I performed the upgrade, and the first thing I did after upgrade was check for network speed, turns out my phone is getting the 3G connection. so it certainly is the case of phone getting stuck in the network mode it was on while in GB. Here are my other observations:

1. Battery consumption is certainly higher side, a full charge phone has lost 90% charge in about 12 hours, off which 5 hours it was not being used, since morning I have used it to play with settings, install multiple apps etc.
2. It feels faster ans smoother than GB, and somehow I like the stock Pantech launcher better than Go/Nova or Apex.
3. Have not noticed greying out of apps reported on desidime or elsewhere, but have not tried with an external micro sd card either.

Will come back to update any more findings I have.
I am very happy with my battery , its 1% loss every hour

this ICS as i expected is the worst update ever to a phone(see: optimus 2x Gb update).. Thank god i did not choose to update it...

after all the fighting and abusing , and delaying there was no doubt Pantech was gonna launch the shittiest ICS ever. let us see if the developers can get hold a stable custom rom.

SO not worth shifting to ICS with this update..
i mean how can the camera be slower with ICS :X it was probably the slowest autofocus camera in the history of phones but now its slower..lolz really.

Are you on the pantech ICS? Or switched back to GB and used the ICS from xda dev?
I was on ICS , went to GB using the instructions posted . Came back to ICS xda

STILL CANNOT CHANGE NETWORK . Installed using XDA ICS zip . Everything fine but still cannot change network . Now I am stuck on 4G HSPA and i want 2G . I generally use WIFI and 4G HSPA is killing the battery .

Going back again to get 2G to GB . I dont want 3G as I have WIFI , but good battery life
back to 2G locked ICS

Guys just saw the reviews on Youtube and i kinda like this phone. Looks like something which is excellent VFM.

What is the current price for the phone?

I was using nokia 5800 before this phone and on first day of ownership went mad over burst's capacitive buttons hardly working as expected. Thought even 5800 resistive screen behaves better :). But on more usage found out that if more surface of the finger touches the button, it works fine. So with thumb it works better than a fore finger. When i was pressing buttons using top area of the finger/ near nails it gave too much trouble. So other guys can try this and confirm.

I am on Pantech ICS and in notification bar, buttons have small sized focus area when touch gets registered so its difficult to press these buttons. Anyone else observed this? Why not give focus to complete rectangle with text?

Also i was on 2G as not 3G or 4G icon was shown on screen while using GB but in ICS it shows 4G. Cant speedtest as docomo is giving problems activating 3G plan.

Both are my observations from usage and may be wrong technically. More inputs from others may clear things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back