Android AT&T Pantech Burst - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it worth upgrading to ics or not?
well worth it for the improved battery life in 2G only and improved interface . Go for it if you dont use 3G . 3G is killing battery life in ICS . 2G and WIFI no issues . Yesterday whole night it was connected to WIFI and negligible battery loss

well worth it for the improved battery life in 2G only and improved interface . Go for it if you dont use 3G . 3G is killing battery life in ICS . 2G and WIFI no issues . Yesterday whole night it was connected to WIFI and negligible battery loss

Hmmmmm... Nothings perfect! :p

getting one soon, hows your experience with the phone so far?

@aquaticbullet @pratzgh1
I am very happy with the mobile , i have given it to my wife as i have S2 . Keeping the price in mind it is a very good deal
Screen - awesome
Audio - headphones okay , just listened for 5 minutes
Audio speaker - very low , sometimes you dont come to know call has come . requires a loud ringtone
Camera - Nothing great to write about but not bad at all . Takes normal 5M pics . I personally am not very happy with it . Lacks clarity i feel . As such i am used to S2 8M camera but still okayish camera
Voice clarity on call clear no compliants
Wifi - no issues , catches and connects first time , would have loved 5Ghz but cant have every thing for 7200 bucks
Pantech ICS GUI and interface - Its okay . Launcher is like Apex , Phone UI is okay with big caller id photo . Messages could have been better but not restricted in any way . I have used CM9/CM10/AOPK on my S2
Bluetooth not used till yet

Last edited by a moderator:
aquaticbullet pratzgh1
I am very happy with the mobile , i have given it to my wife as i have S2 . Keeping the price in mind it is a very good deal
Screen - awesome
Audio - headphones okay , just listened for 5 minutes
Audio speaker - very low , sometimes you dont come to know call has come . requires a loud ringtone
Camera - Nothing great to write about but not bad at all . Takes normal 5M pics . I personally am not very happy with it . Lacks clarity i feel . As such i am used to S2 8M camera but still okayish camera
Voice clarity on call clear no compliants
Wifi - no issues , catches and connects first time , would have loved 5Ghz but cant have every thing for 7200 bucks
Pantech ICS GUI and interface - Its okay . Launcher is like Apex , Phone UI is okay with big caller id photo . Messages could have been better but not restricted in any way . I have used CM9/CM10/AOPK on my S2
Bluetooth not used till yet

Appreciate your quick review mate. :)

aquaticbullet pratzgh1

Exact my thoughts and seems my post. I also gave it to my wife. (I am using S3) :)

Screen - awesome +1

Audio speaker - very low , sometimes you dont come to know call has come . requires a loud ringtone. +1. None of the pre-installed ringtones is loud enough. I used a loud MP3 "UB40 - Red Red Wine" as ringtone, works great.

Camera - Nothing great to write about but not bad at all . Takes normal 5M pics . I personally am not very happy with it . Lacks clarity i feel . As such i am used to S2 8M camera but still okayish camera. - To me, it is below average. Galaxy Nexus (5 MP), I used for few days, was much better. S2/S3 too much better. In fact when I used Blackberry 9700 (3.2MP), even that was better.

Voice clarity on call clear no compliants +1. It is perfect.

Wifi - no issues , catches and connects first time , would have loved 5Ghz but cant have every thing for 7200 bucks. +1

Headphone, Bluetooth not used. Mobile data (3G) used for 15 minutes the day I received it (with GB), found good. No complaints. After update to ICS, gave it to my wife and she is not much into internet, specially when she goes out, so no 2G/3G data plan on her sim, only Wifi used after update and found it to be perfect.

Hi,

Based on the tips in the xda thread, I installed the Battery Calibration software and competed the calibration on 100% charge, I was doing the step of running down the battery to complete discharge, when it reached under 5% I connected it to the charger, but its not charging, and now it has turned off.

I tried connecting to my pc, and also to a portable charger, but it is not charging.

Any tips to come out of this situation?

Update: Charging now

So, it seems a bit slow to respond to the charge, it did not start charging at under 5%, eventually switched off and showed a charging symbol only after about 15 minutes, I have now connected it to my portable battery which has an output of 1.0A.
The phone did show upgrading android message when it booted.

Here is what I had done before this happened.

Upgraded to ICS
Rooted using attn1's method.
Run Battery Calibration.

I do not currently have the CWM installed, any alternatives to taking backups without CWM or Pantech stock PC software.

today i got 1 day 14 hours in battery with 50% screen time . Very less WIFI and no data and lots of Gaming . I am loving the ICS upgrade on 2G . 4G/3G was killing the battery with fast drops . I didnt do any calibration

that is where the trouble is, my usage involves a lot of browsing, occasional YouTube, maybe I will give it a try with only 2g settings Tomorrow.
It could also be specific to my battery. Let's how the release of kernel brings in some good roms.

that is where the trouble is, my usage involves a lot of browsing, occasional YouTube, maybe I will give it a try with only 2g settings Tomorrow.
It could also be specific to my battery. Let's how the release of kernel brings in some good roms.

No android smartphone with 4 inch SAMOLED screen will give you more than 24 hours battery backup on heavy use (it will be 14-18 hours practically speaking).

No android smartphone with 4 inch SAMOLED screen will give you more than 24 hours battery backup on heavy use (it will be 14-18 hours practically speaking).
Hey, well, I did not even expect that, but about 14-18 hours would be good. Infact your comment and kuduku's observation are in contrast, he mentions a day and 14 hours.
As people have reported there maybe some issues with this ICS build, and mine might just be that case. My battery drops about 10-15% every hour while only browsing.

I am pretty sure about my battery and note the screen time as my daughter is playing one of her apps all the time . 50% screen time is due to her only . I had said the same thing when i had installed ICS from Pantech ICS update . I was getting really good battery that time also . Then I went back to GB to get 3G and then it was mayhem in battery . I immediately understood what everyone was complaining of i lost 10% in 2 hours without any major usage so went back to GB to get my 2G lock back and ICS again . From then on I am really enjoying my ICS locked to 2G battery life . Try doing it then you will know what i am saying . BAttery has also not got calibrated as its just 2 charges . I am sure it will improve with charge cycle . I also say that this phone is like a show-piece only for calls , messages and my kiddo games . So in real life with many calls and messages and some WIFI with GSM data it should give 24 hours +/- @tech.addict @wordsmith

I plan on buying this phone to replace my Motorola Defy. I would be grateful if someone answers the following questions about the Pantech Burst:-
[1] What is the battery life I can expect for the following usage scenario? If I plan on using the phone for 3-4 hours of voice calls and about 10-20 smses each day with 30 minutes of checking office emails and 1 hour of gaming and 2 hours of music. I will be on 2g and will very very rarely use 3g.
[2] How many hours of non stop xvid/divx/mkv video playback can I get ?
[3] How does rooting help this phone?
[4] Are there any improvements in battery life and performance after rooting the phone?
[5] Is there any scope for CM9/10/any other custom rom for this phone in the near future?
[6] What would be better for battery life - GB or the new ICS update from pantech?

@sunny27 - To answer your querry in short - Do not buy this now as the price have been increased to 180$$ . I am sure you dont want to invest that much in a mobile that has no warranty . RIP pantech

I am pretty sure about my battery and note the screen time as my daughter is playing one of her apps all the time . 50% screen time is due to her only . I had said the same thing when i had installed ICS from Pantech ICS update . I was getting really good battery that time also . Then I went back to GB to get 3G and then it was mayhem in battery . I immediately understood what everyone was complaining of i lost 10% in 2 hours without any major usage so went back to GB to get my 2G lock back and ICS again . From then on I am really enjoying my ICS locked to 2G battery life . Try doing it then you will know what i am saying . BAttery has also not got calibrated as its just 2 charges . I am sure it will improve with charge cycle . I also say that this phone is like a show-piece only for calls , messages and my kiddo games . So in real life with many calls and messages and some WIFI with GSM data it should give 24 hours +/- tech.addict wordsmith

Hey , the last time you changed back to ICS ... did you use official pantech installer or CWM zip file ?
Also ... whats the exact process ? wipe data , wipe cache , wipe system ... then flash rom .. then wipe dalvik , wipe cache , wipe data .

Hey , the last time you changed back to ICS ... did you use official pantech installer or CWM zip file ?
Also ... whats the exact process ? wipe data , wipe cache , wipe system ... then flash rom .. then wipe dalvik , wipe cache , wipe data .
factory reset , wipe data and cache then wipe dalvik , did this complete routine 2 times .and flashed xda zip . exact procedure i have written also in Pantech thread that is back to GB and flashing xda ICS zip and root and CWM

Any thoughts on this::-

I plan on buying this phone to replace my Motorola Defy. I would be grateful if someone answers the following questions about the Pantech Burst:-

[1] What is the battery life I can expect for the following usage scenario? If I plan on using the phone for 3-4 hours of voice calls and about 10-20 smses each day with 30 minutes of checking office emails and 1 hour of gaming and 2 hours of music. I will be on 2g and will very very rarely use 3g.
[2] How many hours of non stop xvid/divx/mkv video playback can I get ?
[3] How does rooting help this phone?
[4] Are there any improvements in battery life and performance after rooting the phone?
[5] Is there any scope for CM9/10/any other custom rom for this phone in the near future?
[6] What would be better for battery life - GB or the new ICS update from pantech?

I am pretty sure about my battery and note the screen time as my daughter is playing one of her apps all the time . 50% screen time is due to her only . I had said the same thing when i had installed ICS from Pantech ICS update . I was getting really good battery that time also . Then I went back to GB to get 3G and then it was mayhem in battery . I immediately understood what everyone was complaining of i lost 10% in 2 hours without any major usage so went back to GB to get my 2G lock back and ICS again . From then on I am really enjoying my ICS locked to 2G battery life . Try doing it then you will know what i am saying . BAttery has also not got calibrated as its just 2 charges . I am sure it will improve with charge cycle . I also say that this phone is like a show-piece only for calls , messages and my kiddo games . So in real life with many calls and messages and some WIFI with GSM data it should give 24 hours +/- tech.addict wordsmith
battery has done 2 days now
Calling , very less messaging , No GSM data , 1/2 hour WIFI for updating apps . Little gaming and yes less usage overall but 2 days is 2 days
Screen time 40%
Want me to upload the screen shot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back