Car & Bike Ather scooters

That reviewer recently said the closest Ola servicing centre closed down and now the nearest is over a 100km away (!)

How is going to take it there?
S1 Pro has some 120km range. Hope there is a hyper charger on the way. In case of breakdown, have to pay a lot for towing.
Not working, trade it in for some price reduction and get the latest model. Much faster than waiting for service.
:D

How did people believe that they will get an electric bike with disc brakes, abs, 200kmph top speed, diamond cut alloy wheels and insane acceleration for 80k?

What does the author mean by “It gets an LCD console (the same thing that comes on the S1 scooter) rather than the much-advertised full-color TFT panel, which seems to be saved for the more expensive variants.”? Does he know that TFT is el cheapo grade LCD?

Yeah, I'm beginning to understand how this Ola buzz started

Dream product from dream factory

You know that Indian ICE bikes have displaced Chinese ones in Africa.

This is round 2

I see a lot of electric scooters on the roads here in Kerala. Not having an IC engine, they're pretty quiet. Too quiet. These dudes are zigzaging between traffic all the time, acting like they're on a KTM but even dumber because they have way less control and power in reserve. And more importantly, nowhere near as audible to other drivers. All it takes is a car/lorry/bus not checking their rear view mirrors and woops, they're dead. Hitting an oblivious pedestrian at night is a concern too.

Not saying other two wheelers aren't at a similar risk and that you can't mitigate by driving safely, but I just like knowing that my old Access 125 is always clearly audible on the road without me having to do anything.

True statement. But I don't think lorry drivers can hear in that din and ruckus that is seen in Indian roads. Also they are seated so high and can hear only their own vehicles vibrations and noise, but horns sounded by others. The way EV racers drive, zigzagging it puts a lot of people at risk.
Its not the mistake of Machines but the drivers that are at fault.

Another one.
GXQcHtXbsAA6hdE.jpeg

translates to 'dear kannadigas, Ola is one dabba gaadi. If you buy Ola, you life will become miserable.

^she was asked wheter she considered Ather but didn't reply. Most likely not. This experience with Ola seems to have put her off any kind of ev for at least a decade.

Ola's bad reviews will have a knock on effect on other brands as people conclude neither ev brand is any better and that the product just isn't ready for real life situations.

How many Ola sold and what are the failure rates?
How many Ather sold and what are the failure rates?
How many Okinawa and other brand sold and what are the failure rates?

Last edited:
Well one thing is for certain, all these companies have never been profitable and Okinawa is literally selling only a couple dozen per month.

In the meantime, Honda seems to be cooking something for a March 2025 launch, it'll probably decimate the competition if an eActiva shows up on the scene.

168978.jpg

EV is not going to be succeed in India without making Electricity Availability or EV Charing station at every nook & corner of City/Villages/Urban/Rural Areas.

Diesel/Petrol vehicles will keep playing in India because ease of carrying fuel from one point to other point, even you can carry a 10-25 liter fuel (Petrol/Diesel etc.) in fuel-can in emergency and use in your vehicle if there is no fuel station near by your city/area, but you can not use or carry power/electricity in any form if your vehicle is in rural/remote/jungle area, even swapping heavy battery in EV also not an viable option.

I think flex fuel vehicles technology is need of hour for India and should invest on FelxiFuel and less on Pure EVs.

EV is not going to be succeed in India without making Electricity Availability or EV Charing station at every nook & corner of City/Villages/Urban/Rural Areas.

Diesel/Petrol vehicles will keep playing in India because ease of carrying fuel from one point to other point, even you can carry a 10-25 liter fuel (Petrol/Diesel etc.) in fuel-can in emergency and use in your vehicle if there is no fuel station near by your city/area, but you can not use or carry power/electricity in any form if your vehicle is in rural/remote/jungle area, even swapping heavy battery in EV also not an viable option.

I think flex fuel vehicles technology is need of hour for India and should invest on FelxiFuel and less on Pure EVs.
So true, mainly for 4W. I wanted to switch from my 11 year old car to an EV. My main need is long drives 600kms+ and there is no way EV will work. Hoped Hydrogen fuel powered cars will be picked over EVs but industry has again sided to 'what is easy for them' approach.

I maintain that hybrid vehicles are the need of the day, and the government is taxing hybrids as if they are cigarettes or liquor, or petrol (read that as any product which the govt taxes to the maximum to deter sales).
EVs had some subsidy, but that is in the past now. Not all use cases can be satisfied with EVs, especially range and refillability.
There should be a standard battery for all EV 2wheelers, which is removable, rechargeable in battery banks. This is what the Etergo concept was, before it was taken over by Ola.
Archived Etergo website.

Its not entirely unfeasible. It's just a hassle to implement. However, this will make EVs mainstream, and solve the range anxiety as well as refillability issues.

I maintain that hybrid vehicles are the need of the day, and the government is taxing hybrids as if they are cigarettes or liquor, or petrol (read that as any product which the govt taxes to the maximum to deter sales).
EVs had some subsidy, but that is in the past now. Not all use cases can be satisfied with EVs, especially range and refillability.
There should be a standard battery for all EV 2wheelers, which is removable, rechargeable in battery banks. This is what the Etergo concept was, before it was taken over by Ola.
Archived Etergo website.

Its not entirely unfeasible. It's just a hassle to implement. However, this will make EVs mainstream, and solve the range anxiety as well as refillability issues.
Replaceable battery is a major fire hazard and are ticking time bombs. Exchangeable batteries are even worse. If I exchange with a battery that was having structural damage, if that causes fire in my scooter, who will take responsibility? Company will just put the blame on those used battery before. These battery swap stations too are major risk as our country is filled with idiots who just want to burn something or destroy something (eg: vande Bharat stone pelting).

Only way is to have petrol bunk like banks with proper security and are companies ready to invest that much across India? Those petrol bunk owners won’t agree to transition as battery swap stations won’t generate any profit for them.

Alcohol EV hybrid will be an enthusiastic combo.

Any idea as to why the government is doing that?

I've heard arguments in favour of hybrids offering the best of both worlds if you ignore the extra redundant load leading to less economy that must be borne by either tech.

Back