Audio Audioengine A5 or Passive speakers with Amplifier?

balashome

Disciple
Hello folks,

Even though this is my first post here, I have been a passive member for a long time now. It is my duty to thank the community for their immensely useful suggestions in many cases. And it is my pleasure to mention that I have in my house many items that were procured directly based on suggestions and comments made by users here. A few examples are the Intel Core2Duo processor with 4 MB L2 cache, ATI X1800 GTO display card (althought that is getting a bit old now:)), Dell 2008 WFP S-IPS monitor 20" wide and the excellent MX 5021.

Now, I wish to take a decision in setting up my first Home Theatre system. Where else should I turn but to you experts and honest users?:)

Basically I have two options to go:

1) Get a Denon 1508 amplifier and a set of PSB Alpha B1 speakers. This combo costs me 37000 and also gives me room to expand this to a 7.1 system at my own pace. Alternative speakers that can be looked at are the Polk RTi A1, Mission M31i, Energy C1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and Wharfedale Diamond 8.3.

2) Go for an Audioengine A5 speaker set now and then maybe get the Audioengine sub and the A2s for a 4.1 surround system.

I know the first system is the more traditional one and finds merit with many in the forum. But reading the reviews for the Audioengine out there in the web leaves one breathless with anticipation. And they are far more economical too - meaning I can get a no-compromise DVD player with HDMI capability, DVDA, SACD as well as the ability to read from a portable hard drive.

Also, if I go for the Audioengines, can my current MX 5021 be used as a surround and sub system to augment the A5s?

What are your suggestions? Which setup should I go for?

A few details:

I am from Chennai and I would like to use this system as the main one for music as well as movies. My usage would be 60:40 - Music:Movies. I am not into hard rock and dont really crave big bass. But the midrange and the highs are extremely important. For movies, as long as the soundstage is good, I am OK. I can wait for a full surround system.

Looking forward to your suggestions. I would like to make the purchase this week or the next.

(And sorry for the extra long post):)

meaning I can get a no-compromise DVD player with HDMI capability, DVDA, SACD as well as the ability to read from a portable hard drive.

how about a cheap htpc instead? to go along with your AE's... if you can get them done that is. instead of spending a tonne on a dvd player, you could save+gain a lot more features by going in for a htpc.

btw, congrats! your first post in a year and a half!

Thanks Stalker, and yes, your nick reminds me of how I have been one here for some time now. Hoping to correct that at least now. Better late than never and all that...

About the HTPC - what I want to do is basically build a Home Theatre system to go with a 29" TV. The TV could be upgraded next year. And this would be the main movie/music machine.

On the DVD player, I can even do without the SACD and the DVD-A capabilities - because I understand those two are what drive up the cost. But what I do need is the ability to read from a portable hard drive. But the DVD is not the be all and end all of it right now. It can even wait.

My first problem is to choose the direction that I am going to take. Amp-passive speaker route or Audioengine speakers in pairs along with an Audioengine sub.

How much are you willing to spend? All depends on that. A passive speaker+amp setup will certainly be better than most actives, bar a few.

Chaos said:
How much are you willing to spend? All depends on that. A passive speaker+amp setup will certainly be better than most actives, bar a few.

Chaos - like I mentioned the passive speaker-amp setup I mentioned sets me back by 37000. That is about the maximum I want to spend as of now. And I dont mind starting small with just two bookshelves.

It is in this context that I am not able to make up my mind when I see how everybody is going gaga over the Audioengines:huh:

Get a demo before you decide. I know that people say that everywhere and it has almost become cliched but seriously try your best to get a demo before making any purchases rather than depending on other peoples ears

bottle said:
Get a demo before you decide. I know that people say that everywhere and it has almost become cliched but seriously try your best to get a demo before making any purchases rather than depending on other peoples ears

Thank you bottle. I have had a demo of all the amp+speaker sets I have mentioned except for the PSB Alpha B1. That is on order only. But if I were to go the amp+passive speaker route, I have a feeling I would go for them.

I am also yet to audition the Wharfedale 8.3 floorstanders but dont have great expectation out of them.

I dont see how I can audition the Audioengines in Chennai. And I dont know about their return policy here. So, I will have to rely on word of mouth and information on the internet I guess.

Out of the speakers I have auditioned, the Polk RTi A1 sounded best as an all round speaker. For a bookshelf it does an amazing job with music, movies as well as bass heavy sound tracks. If bass was the most important thing needed in bookshelves then I would close my eyes and go for the Mission M31i's. Its dia-drive bass driver does a splendid job in movies. However, it does not sound as great in music - wonder why!

Long story short - I am still where I started. Cant get a demo of the Audioengines. But I want to choose the best combination that I can build on.

Small question here: If I do go for the Audioengines, it is possible to pair them with an additional set of speakers - making it a 4.1 setup? Has anybody tried it? What do people here think about how this would perform? Audioengine A5s as the left and right speakers and the A2s are rear speakers with an Audioengine sub.

This setup versus the Denon-PSB combo, of course.

^ looks like you are on the right track then, I have an A2 that you can come and have a listen to if you are interested. the current placement is not ideal though so it might not give you the right picture.

if you order online from bajaao.com, they have a 14day money back policy too
Out of the speakers I have auditioned, the Polk RTi A1 sounded best as an all round speaker. For a bookshelf it does an amazing job with music, movies as well as bass heavy sound tracks. If bass was the most important thing needed in bookshelves then I would close my eyes and go for the Mission M31i's. Its dia-drive bass driver does a splendid job in movies. However, it does not sound as great in music - wonder why!

yeah for movies you need that extra bass and all to enjoy it but it probably spoils things for music tracks

Thank you for the responses, everybody.

Bottle,

I appreciate the offer. Are you also put up in Chennai? Do you know if it is possible to convert the Audioengines into 4.1 setups by connecting two additional speakers?

And do you think I am missing out on building a pucca HT system by going for powered speakers such as these?

i think bottle's from chennai. I think there are some other TE members with some great setups @ home, in fact , something along the lines of what you're thinking ;)

he should be able to help you out :)

greenhorn said:
i think bottle's from chennai. I think there are some other TE members with some great setups @ home, in fact , something along the lines of what you're thinking ;)

he should be able to help you out :)

Yup, pay a visit to gmano's, superczar's and baatli's home for a full fledged audition; :p

balashome said:
Thank you for the responses, everybody.

Bottle,

I appreciate the offer. Are you also put up in Chennai? Do you know if it is possible to convert the Audioengines into 4.1 setups by connecting two additional speakers?

And do you think I am missing out on building a pucca HT system by going for powered speakers such as these?

can be done but dont think its worth the effort. talk to superczar , hes in chennai and built together a home theatre using passive speakers and a receiver thats really good. he might be able to give you some insights

check his rig gallery for details

Thank you bottle for the insight and information. Appreciate it.

Does anybody know if the Wharfedale's 8.3 (floorstanders) would be better than the PSB Alpha B1? They cost about the same.

Also would greatly appreciate some feedback from Audioengine 5 owners as to how good they think their speaker set is when compared to some of these passive bookshelf speakers.

The biggest problem is I am not able to find even one comparitive review where these passive bookshelves are compared with the Audioengines.

bottle said:
can be done but dont think its worth the effort. talk to superczar , hes in chennai and built together a home theatre using passive speakers and a receiver thats really good. he might be able to give you some insights

check his rig gallery for details

Bottle - I just checked SuperCzar's rig gallery and was literally blown away. That is a monstrous rig which means monstrous amounts of moolah is involved. I am operating on a strict budget here - that is why there is no talk of 5.1 or 7.1 systems.

I simply want to go for a 2 speaker system to start with and slowly expand after that. It is with this that I need guidance as to whether I should go with the Audioengines or with the passive speaker+amp combination.

Any Audioengine 5 owners here who can help? Thank you.

If I am in your position, I will go with the traditional way of speakers + amp setup. you can get amp + floorstanders or bookshelfs within your budget now and later keep adding one by one... sub, rear speakers.......

I have auditioned wharfedale diamond 8.3 long back, they are good. You can go to Promusicals in Egmore and do audition.

Do audiotion as many you can and get the ones best suits your taste.

Setup a HTPC as your source :)

you can check my set up, its not highend, but i like it.
http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/for-my-eyes-and-ears-only-110525.html

Edit: Now I saw your last post, good that you have decided to go with 2 speaker set up now and expand it later. In this case go with a passive bookshelf/floor stander + amp setup.

If you can tell your budget, audio gurus like chaos will help you in deciding the combination .

gmano - thank you for your suggestions.

The amp+passive speaker combination that I have in mind is the Denon 1508 and the PSB Alpha B1 speaker set. They weigh in at 37000 Rs. That is about as far as I want to go for now. And within this budget I want to have a solid set of bookshelf or floorstanders (though I know this is not quite possible:)) paired with a capable and future ready amplifier.

And on the other hand, I want to make sure that I completely explore all other options such as the active speakers from Audioengine. If these are indeed expandable and can be bought in pairs, I do sort of dig this idea.

But I would like to hear from the gurus out here as to which would be the better way to go.

I am now digging deep into the question of 'Active vs Passive' and I am positively shocked at reading some of the information on this subject. It goes completely against the conventional grain of wisdom. I am copying a section of this article here for the members here to comment upon and help make sense out of:

Summary

I don't want to put the vibe out there that people really need an active loudspeaker system, or that passive loudspeakers are substandard, because there are so many truly terrific passive alternatives.

What I do want to emphasize is that if you don't at least seriously consider an active alternative when it comes your way, and follow the typical bias of conventional "wisdom," you might be doing yourself an incredible disservice. While it would be nice to win over the market and the industry to buy and produce more active loudspeaker products, as I do consider it the most sensible solution to high-performance design dilemmas, I must be realistic. Most truly great loudspeaker designers I've talked to know the benefits of active systems and refrain from supplying such products. Why? The bulk of the high-end consumer market isn't ready. But, when it gets ready, manufacturers will begin to supply more, and better options. I'm just asking consumers to be ready by the time they get their next itch, because it is likely to be very good stuff.

I just wanted to share. Thank you.
- Colin Miller -

Link - Feature Article - The Benefits of an Active Speaker Lifestyle

balashome said:
Bottle - I just checked SuperCzar's rig gallery and was literally blown away. That is a monstrous rig which means monstrous amounts of moolah is involved. I am operating on a strict budget here - that is why there is no talk of 5.1 or 7.1 systems.

actually superczar got some really good pricing for what he got :lol:

balashome said:
I simply want to go for a 2 speaker system to start with and slowly expand after that. It is with this that I need guidance as to whether I should go with the Audioengines or with the passive speaker+amp combination.

Any Audioengine 5 owners here who can help? Thank you.

both options will work, what matters is whether you will like it or not. audioengines are good and if you get it you probably wont complain but with passives I guess you have more options.

send anish a pm.. so far hes the only one i know (on the forums) who has the A5

Thank you again, bottle.

Yes I read through the pricing that SuperCzar got. 16500 for Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s at Audio People means that he is a first rate haggler. Better than first rate actually!:)

And I will send Anish a PM as you suggested.

By the way, what is your take on the article I posted earlier - where it is claimed that the active speakers are actually better than passive speakers (all other things being equal)? I am very very curious on this take - precisely because it is completely against conventional thoughts in this area.

Back