Audio Audioengine A5 or Passive speakers with Amplifier?

rPOk said:
Well to give this thread a balance, I went ahead and ordered a pair of sexy white Audioengine A5s... I did audition the Cambridge 340se & mordaunts...but they were crossing 25k...and I don't have a big room with no plans of a home theatre right now...A5s make lot of sense for me-easy to setup, audiophile quality with lots of bass (millions of reviews can't be wrong), stunning looks, wireless functionality optional & they seem to have a similar speccd amp as 340se inside ...plus they are specially built to play mp3s better. Ordered from bajaao.com. Should get them within 10 days.

rPOk - I am eagerly looking forward to your take on the Audioengines! As in any other case, once you give up on a particular choice, that one starts to suddenly look all the more practical and wallet friendly:)

Folks - the hunt is on for a DVD Player which can play AVI files without conversion as well as read movies and music from a portable hard drive. Please note that it is not a flash drive but a proper portable hard drive.

Is there any such model available while still not costing an arm and a leg?:) Appreciate your inputs.

The PSB is better than the Wharf and the Mission. No doubt about that at all. However IMHO the monitor audio is a better speaker. Again... to my ears. May be different to someone else.

Got to hear the Usher S520 today and it kills all of these and some much more expensive speakers at 18.5k :p.

As for the DVD Player: Get the Philips 5965.

Thanks Chaos for the recommendation. Actually the Philips website shows only the 5980 model but I think the functionality is more or less the same. However, friends commented that the Philips does not have too much durabiilty and that it starts getting problems like 'skipping' etc. after a year or two.

Is that true? There is a Pioneer DVD Player which can do all the upscaling with USB compatibiilty for 6000. Which would be the better buy? Please advice.

Chaos said:
The PSB is better than the Wharf and the Mission. No doubt about that at all. However IMHO the monitor audio is a better speaker. Again... to my ears. May be different to someone else.

Got to hear the Usher S520 today and it kills all of these and some much more expensive speakers at 18.5k :p.

As for the DVD Player: Get the Philips 5965.

+1 for the Usher S520! :)
have a pair of these, driven by a Nuforce Icon tripath :hap2:

but of course, nothing beats that tiny dancer you're soon getting bro :eek:hyeah:

Back