Audio Audioengine A5 or Passive speakers with Amplifier?

^ the nad amp by itself costs in excess of 20k afaik. audioengine a5 would be an easy way out unless you want to go used/grey. wait for anish again to ask how it handles trance :p

otherwise wharfedale 9.1 and norge amp might be a decent alternative but I havent heard it yet

rPOk said:
Very good thread going on here.

Chaos you should consider putting up a audio setup buying guide for different budgets.

My budget is 20k and i'm looking to get either an A5 or amp+bookshelves (sorry for hijacking the thread, but my queries are very similar only with less budget).

Music is 70%, rest movies and games. Mainly listen to trance (AvB ftw!!!) so yes bass is a good priority here.

So what systems (under amps+bookshelves option) to consider in this budget.

Amps - NADC320/325, Norge, Cambridge Audio, ?

Speakers - Wharfedale/?

I've x-fi extreme music as source. Is that 'clean' enough for the source because i dont think i can buy those l33t tube amps and dacs and the works

in this budget.

Plan to use this for pc right now and later to htpc for ht setup.

I really like A5s from the reviews....are they suited just for good highs and mids? What about lows (my top priority).

Cambridge 340A SE + MS 902i. Will come to around 21-22k. Else buy the norge bookshelf and amp if you are looking for cheaper stuff. Infact you can fit the norge floorstander in a 25k budget. Will give you more bass.

Thx a lot. These seem good choices. Cambridge Audio 340 SE is amongst best budget integ amps. How does it fare compare to NAD/denon/marantz and likes.

I'll contact the dealers in delhi to audition the stuff. Personally I wouldn't prefer Norge (because these have been developed in India) and i don't see too many reviews.

Budget is flexible upto a max of 25k. Will MS 904i floorstanders fit in? Also where to get the stands for bookshelves and how expensive these might be?

Ahh i just found out Mordaunt/Cambridge have same dealers in Delhi - so should be able to demo the complete system....

@ rPok - Don't bother with a passive setup for 20k. The A5's will handle your trance needs well enough, add the Audioengine Sub laterz when you have more dough.

rPOk said:
Thx a lot. These seem good choices. Cambridge Audio 340 SE is amongst best budget integ amps. How does it fare compare to NAD/denon/marantz and likes.
I'll contact the dealers in delhi to audition the stuff. Personally I wouldn't prefer Norge (because these have been developed in India) and i don't see too many reviews.
Budget is flexible upto a max of 25k. Will MS 904i floorstanders fit in? Also where to get the stands for bookshelves and how expensive these might be?

Ahh i just found out Mordaunt/Cambridge have same dealers in Delhi - so should be able to demo the complete system....

CA amps have a sound signature biased slightly towards the cold and lean. I'd not say they are uninvolving but some folks may prefer the warmer sound signature of say a marantz. NADs again have their own signature... they are quite dry sounding. It all depends on what speaker you wish to pair with the amp. Choose both wisely and you have a nice system.

Anish said:
@ rPok - Don't bother with a passive setup for 20k. The A5's will handle your trance needs well enough, add the Audioengine Sub laterz when you have more dough.

Errr! Now u and chaos have me confused :huh:

I think i'll audition the MS/CA stuff in fx entertainment shop in delhi before going for the A5 route (if the good passive stuff doesn't meet my budget).

thx for the info. Prices seem a little off - don't they? 902i was discussed in this thread at 9k. And 902i+340SE will cost 25k, 904i+340SE will cost 30k. I hope its possible to negotiate.

Boy.. Oh boy !! What an informative thread !! All the Audio gurus (Except our dear lazy Superczar :p) pouring in their knowledge.

Baatli, sticky this thread !! :p

@rPok, Chaos is at times as lazy as he is intelligent. Will be waiting for that guide :lol:

^OT^ Shit.. 12.30 already. Been reading this for almost 30 mins :p

OK Folks - I have been busy talking to the various dealers and with an audition from Promusicals.

We had an audition of the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 (floorstanders) as well as the Diamond 9.2s (bookshelves). The 8.3 did not shine through in the midrange or the high frequencies while it did a smashing good job in the bass portions.

A huge portion of the credit should go to Grease Monk and Greenhorn who helped me download the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disk. I must say it added a new dimension to my hearing. And it was very very useful in separating the good speakers from the also rans. For example, I was very proud of the MX 5021 till I played these tracks on them! The little Altec Lansing simply did not have it to do justice to the detail in these tracks.

The 9.2 was a very good allround speaker. It is quite large for a bookshelf speakers and has curved edges which look good. It is also biwirable and features gold binders at the back. The 8.3 does look and sound what it is - last generation. That said, it has to be acknowledge that the 8.3 is a wonderful buy if one is on the lookout for a budget floorstander. It does a great job on producing bass - accurately, tightly while still performing adequately on the treble and higher frequencies.

The 9.2 could be had for 14000 while the 8.3 could be had for 13500. Very good value for money - it has to be said. The listening room at Promusicals was not the most comfortable. There was no A/C and we stayed there for more than an hour and a half - not fun at all. For that matter, we faced the same problem at ProFX at Spencer Plaza. As far as facilities for listening is concerned, Decibel was by far the best. Although the room was not padded, it was a natural, large room. I would say it is more close to an actual room in a house than the other places. I am not audiophile enough to discern the differences between padded rooms and not so padded ones, but it was not a whole lot of difference - at least to my ears.

So, finally, after considering all options, I have decided to go with the PSB Alpha B1 monitors. It costs me 15000. The remaining question is about the amplifier and a DVD player. The amplifiers present in the running are the Marantz SR3001 and the Denon AVR1507. The Cambridge Audio Azur 340R too is an option but the guy does not have demonstration capabilities as yet. So, not sure if the option is safe. He does say that he is currently building a place at Vadapalani. But I am not sure I can wait for it to get completed.

Both are entry level amplifiers from the respective companies. Even the Cambridge Audio is an entry level amplifier only. But these seem to offer a good bunch of features - minus HDMI. Which is fine with me. We will cross the HD bridge when we get there.

Marantz and Denon are 7.1 channel while the Cambridge Audio is 5.1 channel. Also the Marantz has a Pure Direct Mode while the Denon does not have that. The Cambridge Audio is an audiophile oriented package so it does boast of the Pure Direct mode. However it also costs 22000 as opposed to the 19000 price band for the other two.

What was interesting that while I have the Marantz quoted at 19000 from two places, I still got a quote of 33000 for the same amplifier model at Promusicals! Odd, isnt it?:)

Could I have your valuable suggestions on the choice of amplifier please considering that the speakers are the PSB Alpha B1?

Also I am on the lookout for a good DVD player which is not too costly. The only feature that I am really looking out for is the ability to read portable hard drives directly and play .AVI, DIVX and XVID files. Your suggestions on this too are greatly appreciated.

On the PSB's folks two pieces of information that I found out which you might find interesting. The Alpha B1s were the Stereophile Budget Product of the Year - beating all other contenders including but not limited to Mordaunt Avant, Wharfedale and Monitor Audio. But this is the bigger news. They also won the runnerup prize in the Best Loudspeaker of the Year category - which was a price-no-category section. Meaning it successfully competed with speakers costing more than 300 times its cost! I will not even begin to imagine how that could be.

But I am impressed. Question for the audiophiles here - are you impressed? Or is this just a marketing tactic?

Last thing (I know this is a very long post:)) - I have not heard the PSBs. I know I can hear the 'tut tuts' at the background. But I have a standing arrangement with the vendor that if I dont like the PSBs I can have the Mission M31is as replacement. I do believe that it would not come to that though.

Thank you very much for the help and direction provided thus far.

congrats on the 1st stage of your purchase, bala. ive got a few noob questions though.

1)You had a lot of good things to say about the diamonds, but u ended up going for the PSBs instead...and you havent even heard them yet. how come?

2)how does one hook up a 9.2 or an 8.3 system to a 5.1 or a 7.1 receiver?

3)where did u read up the reviews (where they mentioned the alpha's as speaker of the year, etc)?

Well to give this thread a balance, I went ahead and ordered a pair of sexy white Audioengine A5s... I did audition the Cambridge 340se & mordaunts...but they were crossing 25k...and I don't have a big room with no plans of a home theatre right now...A5s make lot of sense for me-easy to setup, audiophile quality with lots of bass (millions of reviews can't be wrong), stunning looks, wireless functionality optional & they seem to have a similar speccd amp as 340se inside ...plus they are specially built to play mp3s better. Ordered from bajaao.com. Should get them within 10 days.

Grease Monk said:
congrats on the 1st stage of your purchase, bala. ive got a few noob questions though.

1)You had a lot of good things to say about the diamonds, but u ended up going for the PSBs instead...and you havent even heard them yet. how come?

2)how does one hook up a 9.2 or an 8.3 system to a 5.1 or a 7.1 ?

oh man....all of these are 2 channel speakers :p that's just a model no

Grease Monk said:

2)how does one hook up a 9.2 or an 8.3 system to a 5.1 or a 7.1 receiver?

3)where did u read up the reviews (where they mentioned the alpha's as speaker of the year, etc)?

Grease Monk,

1) I did like the Wharfedale Diamonds and thought they were very good value for money. The reason I rejected the 8.3 was that a 'budget' floorstander sort of defeats the purpose of a floorstander.:) Apart from that, it could not be denied that the Diamond 8 series is old and it looked and sounded its age too. So that leaves us with the Diamond 9 series. The 9.1 is the model that has received the widest attention and positive reviews. But since the 9.1 was not available with the distribution we listened to the 9.2. The difference between the two was an inch or so of difference in the size of the drivers. The 9.2 sounded good - a touch excitable in delivery of treble and the higher frequencies. The mid range also sounded artificially sweetened - to an extent. I am not sure that it would perform well for extended sessions - of movies or music. But for people who like that extra bit from their speaker, I think it would be a good fit.

However this was the clincher for me. As I mentioned, I wanted to build a 5.1 system ultimately. With the PSB Alpha series all I had to do was match two pairs of the Alpha B1s with the wonderful Alpha C1 Center and a capable Sub.

With the Wharfedale too you can do the same thing but that most important cog when it comes to movies - the Center channel - I like it better on the PSB. But when I say I like it, I like what I have seen and read till now. I have not yet listened to it. It is against conventional wisdom yes. But here I go - cross fingers and toes:)

Ultimately, you can say I did get swayed by what I have read about the PSB speakers. But I hope the speakers do perform as good as they have been vouched for.

2) I am sorry I should have been clear(er):). When I said 9.2, I meant the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 speaker and when I said 8.3 I referred to the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 speaker.

3) Here are some links on the PSB and its awards:

PSB Speakers - Stereophile Product of the Year

Stereophile: Stereophile's Products of 2007

On the second link, you can see PSB's Alpha B1 in two separate categories. One is the budget speaker category. And you should also see it as a runner up in the Best Loudspeaker category (which is price no bar).

Back