Audio Audioengine A5 or Passive speakers with Amplifier?

The Cambridge audio range might be good but I haven't heard it. You can look at the 540R. 340R is too low end and the price you are being quoted is too high. The DAC chip itself is irrelevant and so is the power output. The only thing that matters is how good does it sound. Whatever you do, do not buy blind and deaf... i.e. buy stuff without an audition.

Chaos said:
The Cambridge audio range might be good but I haven't heard it. You can look at the 540R. 340R is too low end and the price you are being quoted is too high. The DAC chip itself is irrelevant and so is the power output. The only thing that matters is how good does it sound. Whatever you do, do not buy blind and deaf... i.e. buy stuff without an audition.

The 540R, I am afraid would go beyond my budget. But I will check with the dealer.

What do you think of the Marantz amplifiers? Are they good for 60-40 : Music-Movies combo? The SR3001 is what comes for the budget I am looking for.

One thing I have heard is that even if you set up a 5.1 system, if you have got a 7 channel amplifier you can do some biamping or biwiring to your front speakers for some extra output. How relevant is this and how significant is the difference?

I must tell you that I am mostly looking for a 5.1 and not a 7.1 system, ultimately.

greenhorn said:
as always , dont forget the guy who sells old hi fi stuff @ ritche. but I'm curious if they are just second hand or refurb units

I must confess I never did look at that option seriously. How much would you recommend that sort of a route for this sort of expense?

Wouldnt things like Warranty, support, parts etc. be critical in these cases?

to be honest , i didnt find his pricing THAT great, given the condition in which the stuff he had was. i think gmano might be able to give more info on the place

balashome said:
Anish - I had this question in the middle of a post to Sangram. So I am putting this out here for better visibility:

Still I have got a simple question for Anish here - would you rate the Audioengines above the comparably priced passive speakers - such as the Wharfedale Diamonds, Mordaunt Shorts, PSB Alphas or the Missions?
It would depend upon the amplification balashome.

Besides, A5s = 18k
Passive speakers = ~ 15k + Amplification (~20k) = 35k

If you can fit the BR2 into your budget, grab them! Certainly worth it!

Also if your looking for a AVR, do give Onkyo a look. Great features with HDMI 1.3 switching and a bucketful of decoding options, TechHead's got one I think, shoot him a PM!

Chaos said:
Err I think its too much... That speaker costs 9k. I'm mostly sure you can get far better receivers for 24000.

I forgot to mention that this would include a subwoofer as well, Chaos. An MS subwoofer, that is.

Does that sweeten the deal? Or is this still a no-go?:)

Anish said:
It would depend upon the amplification balashome.

Besides, A5s = 18k
Passive speakers = ~ 15k + Amplification (~20k) = 35k

If you can fit the BR2 into your budget, grab them! Certainly worth it!

Also if your looking for a AVR, do give Onkyo a look. Great features with HDMI 1.3 switching and a bucketful of decoding options, TechHead's got one I think, shoot him a PM!

Yes, but I am not sure I would get one at the sort of price point I am looking at.

Thank you Anish for the information. Going by the consensus I am going the passive speaker+amp route.

I have been looking at the Onkyo site and it is amazing how I completely missed out on them. I had a demo of the SR800 HTIB system and it was OK. Nothing earth shaking but it was OK. Also I would much rather mix and match rather than go with a box system.

Would the Onkyo receivers be amenable to mix and match with say a Mordaunt Avant or PSB or Wharfedale speaker set?

And does anybody know the price of the Onkyo TX SR505 receiver? Or is there any other Onkyo that you would recommend?

Chaos said:
Ah thats a great deal.

How good a deal is that Chaos? Close eyes - go get it. Or is there still room to explore the Denons and the Onkyos and the Wharfedales?

Sorry if I am too querulous. But I do want to get this right as this is not something I would buy every other day or even every other year. And thank you guys for these splendid responses.

^ If your in the market for an AVR, it would be criminal to give Onkyo a pass.

Denon, TBH, I never really liked them, too lean for my taste. But again I haven't heard the Onkyo, though going by the reviews, its looks like a cracker of a choice!

I'm never really impressed by the music making capabilities of an onkyo. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. They have absolutely no bass control.

Two very diverse opinions, hmm! This is getting complex:)

Let me talk to the Cambridge Audio guy tomorrow and see what he is offering exactly and then decide accordingly.

go for a demo first rather than choosing just because it fits in your budget :lol: also face to face negotiations might work better

balashome said:
Two very diverse opinions, hmm! This is getting complex:)

Let me talk to the Cambridge Audio guy tomorrow and see what he is offering exactly and then decide accordingly.

And Chaos have extremely sensitive ear-drums [1Hz<Freq Response<100KHz] after listening to his E855s and the HD650, so dont take his words for reality; :lol:

Chaos said:
I'm never really impressed by the music making capabilities of an onkyo. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. They have absolutely no bass control.
Hmm.. as I said haven't heard any of their AVRs so can't really comment.

Anyways, when buying an AVR I'd certainly give features some marks in my final list too so its upto you how much of HD your gonna be playing on the system.

Besides, for real music, I'd buy one of those custom Lyrita tubes, no?

For a real music only setup, a pre-power or even monoblocks are the only way to go. Typically most folks use a solid state power amp and a tube preamp.

Very good thread going on here.

Chaos you should consider putting up a audio setup buying guide for different budgets.

My budget is 20k and i'm looking to get either an A5 or amp+bookshelves (sorry for hijacking the thread, but my queries are very similar only with less budget).

Music is 70%, rest movies and games. Mainly listen to trance (AvB ftw!!!) so yes bass is a good priority here.

So what systems (under amps+bookshelves option) to consider in this budget.

Amps - NADC320/325, Norge, Cambridge Audio, ?

Speakers - Wharfedale/?

I've x-fi extreme music as source. Is that 'clean' enough for the source because i dont think i can buy those l33t tube amps and dacs and the works

in this budget.

Plan to use this for pc right now and later to htpc for ht setup.

I really like A5s from the reviews....are they suited just for good highs and mids? What about lows (my top priority).

Back