Audio Audiophile and gears

How is the xDuoo MT-602 for a first dedicated amp (at Rs. 8.5k)? I plan to use it with my Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as a DAC and the HE400i v2020. What's attracting me to it is the 1300mW output at 32ohm and the hybrid tube design, and that it's supposed to be a bit warm, which I think would complement my Hifiman cans.
Also yes I also understand that the sound will not be 100% clean and uncolored, but I will mainly use this to listen to music and hence don't care particularly if it's not 100% accurate, but it should be enjoyable.

As a product this is a good one, Most xDuoo products are extreme VFM….but make sure you can get spare tube in India if those goes wrong…..For the power I will save up the rest and get iFi Zen CAN.

As a product this is a good one, Most xDuoo products are extreme VFM….but make sure you can get spare tube in India if those goes wrong…..For the power I will save up the rest and get iFi Zen CAN.
Thanks for replying!
The problem with the Zen Can is that it's double my budget, and frankly I can't spend over 10k on any equipment (for now). Currently I'm using just the Tempotec as a DAC/AMP, which while certainly a step up from the Apple dongle, isn't cutting it for me in terms of power since my parametric eq has a -15db pre-amp to eliminate clipping. So while I live how good the bass is, there simply isn't remotely enough power from the Tempotec to properly drive it.
Also the Zen Can is 16k, and damn that's a lot of money (though I must say that the design is sexy af) for me to spend on audio haha. I will keep the point about tubes in mind, and I've read up a bit on tube rolling although not sure where to get new ones if things go awry, especially since Aliexpress is no longer an option.
But I think I'll order it and see how things go. If I don't like it for whatever reason, or damage the tubes and can't find replacement, you will see an xDuoo listed in classifieds soon :p

How much do the Fiio desktop DAC amps cost now? I bought a K something years ago. It was pretty decent and possibly still works.
It's impossible to beat XDuoo in price performance ratio ( seems better than fiio nowadays) but since you want to play safe, consider fiio K series also.
The old one I had could drive K702, HD600 nicely ( the only 2 big cans I had back then plus the still awesome HD25 II)

How much do the Fiio desktop DAC amps cost now? I bought a K something years ago. It was pretty decent and possibly still works.
It's impossible to beat XDuoo in price performance ratio ( seems better than fiio nowadays) but since you want to play safe, consider fiio K series also.
The old one I had could drive K702, HD600 nicely ( the only 2 big cans I had back then plus the still awesome HD25 II)
I quite liked the Fiio K5 Pro but it's at 15k, and I don't think the Fiio E10K prices at 5.5k-6.5k would have been a major step up from my existing step up. Keeping in mind the 10k budget, and that I don't want to use balanced cables (wayyy too expensive than I expected them to be, which meant I couldn't get the BTR5), left xDuoo MT-602 the only one left. Ordered it some time ago from Hifinage, and quite excited to get a (hybrid) tube amp!

I'm also looking for a portable amp, no BT or balanced out. Just a plain portable moderately powerful amp to drive the HD560s/ 660s

iFi micro iDSD Signature for moderate budget and Cayin C9 for best of the best budget no issues. Both are portable amps, else there are 2-3 boutique tube amp manufactures in India who make custom bang for buck desktop amps in $1K range.

I'm also looking for a portable amp, no BT or balanced out. Just a plain portable moderately powerful amp to drive the HD560s/ 660s
xDuoo XD-05 series (available in single ended and balanced versions) are generally regarded as a quite excellent and powerful portable (dac)amp for the price. Another option is the the iFi Hip DAC which is also decently powerful. I think all of them are under 20k INR, not much idea about stuff higher than this range since I dare not tempt myself :p
Fiio Q3 also seems to be pretty good

Last edited:
Thanks for replying!
The problem with the Zen Can is that it's double my budget, and frankly I can't spend over 10k on any equipment (for now). Currently I'm using just the Tempotec as a DAC/AMP, which while certainly a step up from the Apple dongle, isn't cutting it for me in terms of power since my parametric eq has a -15db pre-amp to eliminate clipping. So while I live how good the bass is, there simply isn't remotely enough power from the Tempotec to properly drive it.
Also the Zen Can is 16k, and damn that's a lot of money (though I must say that the design is sexy af) for me to spend on audio haha. I will keep the point about tubes in mind, and I've read up a bit on tube rolling although not sure where to get new ones if things go awry, especially since Aliexpress is no longer an option.
But I think I'll order it and see how things go. If I don't like it for whatever reason, or damage the tubes and can't find replacement, you will see an xDuoo listed in classifieds soon :p

Xduoo Products are good VFM, although if you get into tube rolling you will spend more than what a Zen Can would cost in no time. Either ways both should be a good upgrade over Tempotec dongle.

Have a look at amplifiers from Vorzamp and Pico , both have ample of power reserve and give near desktop experience with their portable amplifers. Have tried PICO and they were just amazing

Any idea about Topping NX4S? Don't need an expensive one. Already have decent desktop setups.
Loving the Topping A90. So was thinking of their portable amps.

If you need a portable dac/amp at a fairly priced module then I believe IFI HIPDAC, Fiio Q5/Q5S (lot of used ones are floating around) , Xduoo XD-05+ are some of the options. The Toppping NX4 was well received , but I dont see anyone purchasing them anymore and I believe HIPDAC is the reason. If you are looking only for a portable amp without DAC checkout the Aune B1s , pure class A but battery backup has plenty of power on offering but battery backup is average. I have tried below portable DAC/AMPs

i) Aune B1 - Drove HD6XX & Hifiman HE560 to good level of details & dynamics. Had a warm signature and got equally hot too so keeping in pocket was a no go. Also battery backup was average. If purely for SQ this is a good buy , if for travelling you need to keep it in your hand as it can warm a lot of things inside :p

ii) Apex Glacier - This was a 5 year old model but one hell of a portable DAC/Amp. Probably the best I have owned till date , DAC was slightly on the brighter side but the amp was as good as it gets at sub-15k. Power reserve was never a problem and had a very good battery backup , super slim. Difficult to get hold of one , if you can get hold of one for 12-13k or below then can be a blind buy

iii) Fiio Q5S - Was a handy level device with tonnes of features. Not the most powerful dac/amp but is easily one of the sleekest and feature loaded dac/amp. Sounds really good with an AKM DAC and amp also is decent enough to power cans on high gain.

Post lockdown have hardly found use for the portable gears and I have completely emptied the shelves. Have a Tempotec Sonata HD dongle and a Nicehck HK7 IEM & Koss Porta Pro as my companions if travel need arises anytime shortly.

Ordered Apple USB-C dongle today straight from Apple India, should receive it tomorrow according to Blue Dart tracking.

Hoping it to be a good upgrade over the crappy on board jack of my M1 Air. It's only a stop gap solution until fall this year when I will hopefully upgrade to some mid-tier or maybe flagship DAP. Decided against going for any dongle solution like L&P W2 since I don't like hanging things and they also drain a lot of battery from phones making them cumbersome.

True man, the M1 Air's onboard sound is really bad through the 3.5mm out.
I also bought the dongle and attached it with one of the USB C port permanently.
Do you guys know what exactly Apple used in the M1 computers?
The 16 inch MBP has a pretty clean onboard card, I often use full sized headphones straight out of it. HD25, HD598 works great. Other cans do struggle ( specially the HD560s sounds very thin and lifeless)
@Nalin , mate do you really want to spend more than 500EUR or more on a DAP? Are the batteries replaceable?
Some old people @ headfi advised me against it ( for battery issues after 2 years) however can't we use them as a portable DAC AMP with laptop when the battery goes bad?
What are the DAPs are you considering?
My experience with portable audio is very limited ( almost laughable..ipod touch, Clip plus, Fiio X3/X5 and now a M3 Pro) The M3 Pro isn't bad at all for wired use, but needs a little more power to run inefficient planars ( but the newer planars are much easier to drive, and it can drive can like Diva easily, but struggles with LCD X, Sennheiser's HD5/6 series except the old 598)

My previous MBP 2015 had a Cirrus Logic which was comparable with many Hi-Fi phones of that time. So I believe MBP 16 is also using the same as it's a common staple of Apple and I doubt they are also using it in their USB-C dongle.

On DAP I haven't decided yet but it should not hiss with sensitive IEMs like Andro and in that criteria alone more then half of DAPs fail. So that makes it a difficult decision.

I have shortlisted some like AK SR25, Dethonray Honey H1 (not a DAP) and Shanling M6 Pro.

I am also considering a mid tier open back for home maybe Focal Clear or the Arya, haven't decided yet. These will need a good amp so something like iDSD Signature alone is also a good option and then I may not even need a DAP.

Got the Apple dongle today, damm this thing is dead silent with absolutely no noise or waterfall hiss that I can notice on my Andromeda 2020.

IMG_0406.jpeg

Last edited:
These people are responsible for the decline of this beautiful hobby.
I've auditioned Diana V1 and it was a fantastic headphone. But have audiotined Utopia and HE 1 also, they were equally amazing.
But both Focal and Sennheiser make normal headphones also for normal people
But Abyss is weird, none of their headphones look remotely normal. Even if you use them exclusively at home, people will think you are an alien!!
Brands like Abys make audiophiles look either crazy/ insanely rich.
I loved the Diana and planned to buy one in future, but won't. More than happy with the German and Chinese manufacturers. Don't need another company ( worse than Audeze) in my life.

Anyone looking for the absolute best over ear open back headphones under 200 USD..
Did a lot of testing, A/B, opinion of non audiophiles ( but trained/ self taught musicians), young and old people ( non musicians)..total of 12 people aged between 28 and 68 plus one kid (5 year)
Headphones used :
AKG K712, Sennheiser HD600, 560S Beyerdynamics DT770/990 ( didn't include 880 as the one I have is no longer available for purchase) Hifiman Sundara ( it's above 200 USD though) , Deva ( wired only)
Source:
Topping A90/ D90 stack, only the A90 with 16 inch MacBook Pro. Didn't try tubes ( as nobody should spend on WooAudio tube amps, sounds fantastic, but costs very high, and would make the tests irrelevant mostly)
Portable: Don't have anything beside M3 Pro.
Music:
Mostly Redbook CD rips in flac, few HDtracks purchases ( nothing downloaded)
From genres ranging from Jazz to metal ( no black metal, nothing from Spotify's present top 20 etc.)
Results:
1. Sennheiser HD560s, EVERYONE liked it over HD600,but me!!
2. Deva, the musicians ( who don't care for brands, model etc) specifically told, the Sundara sounds more "expensive" but they prefer the larger soundstage of Deva
3. K712: Everyone loved it from the amp, but not from the portable.
4. No love for the Beyers!!
5. The kid still loves the white earbuds came with some old iphone ( the phone is long gone).."everything else is so big..papa, you should use these too"

Last edited:
So there won't be any intel 16 inch MBP? Hope mine lasts for 3/4 years... really can't use M1 Macs for work.
Anyone here using Xduoo XD 05 plus/ basic? I need something powerful and transportable. Balanced out not required for this set up. Will be used to drive HD560S/600/ Deva/ Sundara.
The other amps/ DACs I got are difficult to move around from one room to another...mostly will be used with a laptop and a tiny DAP.

Last edited:
Back