Audio Audiophile and gears

Has the 599 SE been discontinued?

Are there any other good open back over ear headphones in the same price range?
Philips shp 9500 is great but costs double, upwards of 10k.
As another member suggested hifiman he400se are also very good. They may require amp but I am not sure.

There had been postings of both hd598 and 400se here on techenclave for decent price so if you can be patient you might get a great deal.

Got lazy and didn't want to turn my speakers and amps on and so...

12.jpeg

My HD 599 SE + FiiO E10K giving me company tonight :)

bros I need yr help, I will be traveling for 10 days, starting Monday. I lost my IEMs that I used to use for on-the-go music and so I don't have any portable headphones at the moment. If someone can lend/sell me their headphones I will be very happy. I'm in Delhi/NCR area. Something like a Monndrop Aria/ DT770 Pro would be perfect but I'm not being picky
really hoping this works out, my only other option is to get some mediocre quality headphones from a local shop

Guys suggest me a audiophile grade closed back headphone within 10/15k budget. I just broke my dt 770 today. Looking for good build quality (which won't make a cracking sound with every time I stretch it to wear like the beyers), extreme comfort (the beyers were the most painful thing I've experienced in my whole life) and flat sound. Will be used with PC without any DAC/amp, so no high impedance ones. Are the Sony 7506 ones still available anywhere?

Guys suggest me a audiophile grade closed back headphone within 10/15k budget. I just broke my dt 770 today. Looking for good build quality (which won't make a cracking sound with every time I stretch it to wear like the beyers), extreme comfort (the beyers were the most painful thing I've experienced in my whole life) and flat sound. Will be used with PC without any DAC/amp, so no high impedance ones. Are the Sony 7506 ones still available anywhere?
M50x is a safe bet. Nothing ground breaking about them, clamping force is a bit on the higher side, can be driven easily by most modern mobos, neutral signature.
Good build quality.
Confort: not very comfortable as clamping force is high, stock cushions also aren't very comfy.

I can't think of any close back recommendations if you find the dt 770 uncomfortable. It's generally considered one of the more comfortable sets. Maybe the AKG361? [not the 371s] But their build quality is nothing to write home about and you might have some QC issues with creaking etc.. Are you sure you don't want open backed?

How did you manage to break a Beyer ?
Anyways -

M50x is a safe bet. Nothing ground breaking about them, clamping force is a bit on the higher side, can be driven easily by most modern mobos, neutral signature.
Good build quality.
Confort: not very comfortable as clamping force is high, stock cushions also aren't very comfy.
I had the M40s for a brief period before getting the Beyers, back in 2015/16, and I liked its comfort. The sound was also pretty neutral but back then I was looking for dynamism, and M40s were flat. Back then I wanted to go for the M50X but I read report almost everywhere that M50s have a tremendous amount of bloated bass, if that's still true for the M50X then I'd stay away from it. Just as ref., DT 770 boomy bass I enjoyed a lot in the beginning but I have grown extremely tired of it and I would prefer something which will output no boosted bass.

Another thing which looks very disconcerting to me is them hinges upon which the cups swivel. Doesn't look like those hinges gonna last long. I made the terrible mistake of overestimating the build quality of the Beyers, so this time around I'll stay sharp regarding build, it must be practical, so that things do not start to come apart or break after a while.

@ibose Well thank you. But how do I ensure its authenticity? An authentic pair of 7506 has always been a concern.

Last edited:
I had the M40s for a brief period before getting the Beyers, back in 2015/16, and I liked its comfort. The sound was also pretty neutral but back then I was looking for dynamism, and M40s were flat. Back then I wanted to go for the M50X but I read report almost everywhere that M50s have a tremendous amount of bloated bass, if that's still true for the M50X then I'd stay away from it. Just as ref., DT 770 boomy bass I enjoyed a lot in the beginning but I have grown extremely tired of it and I would prefer something which will output no boosted bass.

Another thing which looks very disconcerting to me is them hinges upon which the cups swivel. Doesn't look like those hinges gonna last long. I made the terrible mistake of overestimating the build quality of the Beyers, so this time around I'll stay sharp regarding build, it must be practical, so that things do not start to come apart or break after a while.
My M50x are holding up fine for nearly 3 years. I feel the clamping force to be high. When I had gotten them I found the bass to be lacking. They can get shouty at higher volumes but deliver good sound for songs with good mixing.
You can also try out some open backs. I think they might be less shouty, punchy, although I might be wrong.

Indian audiophile forum on FB
This is managed by that Headphonezone guy, Raghav Somani, and probably for elite class? I sent request three days ago and still pending.
Any other place which sells used audio gears in India?

@RuwinX Thanks for the AKG recommendations. K371 is being said as the best headphone under 200 dollar category but then again like you said, the concerns regarding its build quality is absurd. Headband snapping in half, really? K361 is cheap and probably I could just try it out but it doesn't seem to have any better build quality. In fact it's said that even top tier AKGs have shoddy build! So this is a company I would like to avoid.

All others, thanks for your opinions. M50X unfortunately has too much bass for my taste, I was checking my old amazon order and saw that I had returned it and I recalled the reason. Its build also is very doubtful. In fact, I have been reading and reading for past three days and every article simply leads to mentioning DT 770s as being the best (in respect to soundstage especially, and also build and comfort, and overall sound quality as well) headphones under 300-350 dollar, which is ridiculous. I know how painful that headphone is, so I am not even sure whether majority of people can endure pain or simply have smaller sized ears! Anyhow, shouldn't have smashed it beyond repair. Now I am looking for a used one Lol.

Other alternatives in the same price bracket I found recommended was the Yamaha MT8s, which said to have better tonal quality but as usual, soundstage cannot match. In fact, I am seriously considering it. The real upgrades from a DT 770 are said to be the DT 1770s or SRH1540, which are like three times over my budget. Wish I could find a OPPO PM3 somewhere.

Not considering the open backs due to sound leakage obviously. My main system is still in my old room where my parent comes and goes oftentimes, and I hate the idea of using a headphone and disturbing others. Otherwise it would have been so easy, there are so many options among the open back segment.

This is managed by that Headphonezone guy, Raghav Somani, and probably for elite class? I sent request three days ago and still pending.
Any other place which sells used audio gears in India?

@RuwinX Thanks for the AKG recommendations. K371 is being said as the best headphone under 200 dollar category but then again like you said, the concerns regarding its build quality is absurd. Headband snapping in half, really? K361 is cheap and probably I could just try it out but it doesn't seem to have any better build quality. In fact it's said that even top tier AKGs have shoddy build! So this is a company I would like to avoid.

All others, thanks for your opinions. M50X unfortunately has too much bass for my taste, I was checking my old amazon order and saw that I had returned it and I recalled the reason. Its build also is very doubtful. In fact, I have been reading and reading for past three days and every article simply leads to mentioning DT 770s as being the best (in respect to soundstage especially, and also build and comfort, and overall sound quality as well) headphones under 300-350 dollar, which is ridiculous. I know how painful that headphone is, so I am not even sure whether majority of people can endure pain or simply have smaller sized ears! Anyhow, shouldn't have smashed it beyond repair. Now I am looking for a used one Lol.

Other alternatives in the same price bracket I found recommended was the Yamaha MT8s, which said to have better tonal quality but as usual, soundstage cannot match. In fact, I am seriously considering it. The real upgrades from a DT 770 are said to be the DT 1770s or SRH1540, which are like three times over my budget. Wish I could find a OPPO PM3 somewhere.

Not considering the open backs due to sound leakage obviously. My main system is still in my old room where my parent comes and goes oftentimes, and I hate the idea of using a headphone and disturbing others. Otherwise it would have been so easy, there are so many options among the open back segment.
you have theaudiostore , goldfinchacoustics , conceptkart ... these are some i could think right off the bat and have purchased from them

Back