Battlefield 3 - Discussion Thread

Anyone facing issues with launching BF3? Am crashing constantly/game freezes while running. I have reinstalled latest gfx drivers/Punkbuster but no use :(

System Specs:

E8500 | Corsair XMS3 4GB | Radeon HD 5770

Disable AA... Keep the video settings on low or medium. You can change it by entering SP. Which OS are you using?? Follow this for 32bit Vista/Windows 7

Requirements

Only real requirements is that you have atleast 2GB RAM. You don't need beyond that even though we are allowing addressing up to 2.5 GB. Also following instructions and being somewhat familiar with working with files in windows is required. Make sure you are using Vista SP1. If not then you need this hotfix that fixes a major blunder with Vista address space - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 [support.microsoft.com]

That's all, follow the 3 steps.

1) Prepare the operating system to be able to use beyone 2GB address space with a userva of 2.5GB (only 32 bit OS's need to do this): I am purposely using only 2500 for userva for specific reasons and any more will likely not be needed, as a result the kernel will have plenty of space to play in.

Windows 7/Windows Vista

* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.

* In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.

* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.

* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.

* Changes take effect on reboot but don't reboot yet.

SUMMARY

We extended the user virtual address space in XP, Vista and 7 to 2500MB, so now applications can utilize up to that much if they are set to be Large Address Aware. While some 32 bit games/applications are set, Battlefield 3 is not.

2) Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES

For Vista 32 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.

Reboot and you are back to normal.

Roxtin said:
Anyone facing issues with launching BF3? Am crashing constantly/game freezes while running. I have reinstalled latest gfx drivers/Punkbuster but no use :(

System Specs:

E8500 | Corsair XMS3 4GB | Radeon HD 5770

Its as on 31st October. One month has passed by and I think atleast 1m more have purchased it
samurai ranger said:

Can you please check and tell me whats mine :) Also KD too...
krugur said:
Total time : 76:10:49. Soon to be 100. :)

chiragsthakur said:
Disable AA... Keep the video settings on low or medium. You can change it by entering SP. Which OS are you using?? Follow this for 32bit Vista/Windows 7

Requirements

Only real requirements is that you have atleast 2GB RAM. You don't need beyond that even though we are allowing addressing up to 2.5 GB. Also following instructions and being somewhat familiar with working with files in windows is required. Make sure you are using Vista SP1. If not then you need this hotfix that fixes a major blunder with Vista address space - Virtual address space usage in Windows Vista game development [support.microsoft.com]

That's all, follow the 3 steps.

1) Prepare the operating system to be able to use beyone 2GB address space with a userva of 2.5GB (only 32 bit OS's need to do this): I am purposely using only 2500 for userva for specific reasons and any more will likely not be needed, as a result the kernel will have plenty of space to play in.

Windows 7/Windows Vista

* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.

* In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.

* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.

* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.

* Changes take effect on reboot but don't reboot yet.

SUMMARY

We extended the user virtual address space in XP, Vista and 7 to 2500MB, so now applications can utilize up to that much if they are set to be Large Address Aware. While some 32 bit games/applications are set, Battlefield 3 is not.

2) Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES

For Vista 32 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.

Reboot and you are back to normal.

I'll try this but it has started happening only after the Patch. Earlier I have played another account to Rank 10 with 0 crash/Freeze and I am using Win 7 32bit on the config which I have listed.

Even we faced such issues after patch. We never had those issues. So above fix should work for you
Roxtin said:
I'll try this but it has started happening only after the Patch. Earlier I have played another account to Rank 10 with 0 crash/Freeze and I am using Win 7 32bit on the config which I have listed.

I find myself a little unlucky, I work night shifts. so i am up during the night uptill early morning around 9 - 10 ...even on the weekends
thats why I see most of the indian servers empty

once or twice when I have managed to stay up during the day on weekends
then it was amazing
almost all indian servers completely full
oh and i like the new queue method really helps in the all severs full situation..
any of you guys in the same situation as me?

Only 15-25?? Which card?? Coz even my friend with 9600GSO runs it on low at full hd with 30 to 35 frames in 64 player map.
ubergeek said:
as much i like to play BF3 the frame rates really put me off in a 64 player match i only get like 15-25 fPS at best :(

ohh... But IMO 8800gt is equal to 9600gso in performance, may be even equal to 9600gt... Anyways you have to upgrade then... ;) I will be selling my 6850 in January or February
ubergeek said:
8800gt :p at 1440X900 everything set to low

WAT!!!

From Shack -

"Back to Karkand, the first expansion pack for Battlefield 3, has been dated. It will be available on December 6th on PS3. As part of Sony's exclusivity deal with EA, PC and Xbox 360 players will have to wait one week before they can jump in.

The DLC pack, included free with "Limited Edition" copies of the game, includes four classic Battlefield maps re-imagined in Battlefield 3's Frostbite 2 engine. There are three new vehicles: the VSTOL figher jet, desert buggy, and an APC, ten new weapons, and new assignments.

The expansion pack will cost $15 for anyone that doesn't have a voucher. In addition to the new content, the add-on will introduce five new trophies/achievements:

Complete Warrior (Silver)
Get a kill with the following weapons in a single life: Rifle, Jet, Tank

Third Tour (Bronze)
Get a kill with the new APC, Desert Buggy, and STOVL fighter jet

Gunslinger (Bronze)
Get 10 kills with all B2K weapons

Like a Boss! (Silver)
Get a kill with the skid loader

Jaws (Bronze)
Take a swim in the pool at the Oman hotel!

Of course, Karkand is just the first expansion pack, with more coming in the future. "There's even more great content planned for the future, so stay tuned!"

@chirag

please consider me first in line :D

also

LE users dont need to enter any sperate key rite?

cause when i got my copy it was soaked wet thanks to the rain and all the manuals that came with it was soaked as hell i bearely managed to make out the cd key from it :(

I didnt find any seperate key for DLC with our LE copy....
ubergeek said:
@chirag

please consider me first in line :D

also

cause when i got my copy it was soaked wet thanks to the rain and all the manuals that came with it was soaked as hell i bearely managed to make out the cd key from it :(

ubergeek said:
[...]

cause when i got my copy it was soaked wet thanks to the rain and all the manuals that came with it was soaked as hell i bearely managed to make out the cd key from it

chiragsthakur said:
I didnt find any seperate key for DLC with our LE copy....

EA will send the key to your email id.

_

Back