Battlefield 3 - Discussion Thread

Yep, doubt it will happen.

From BF3 Blog -

Battlefield 3 singleplayer inspired by “Generation Kill” and “24"

In a new interview with VG24/7, Battlefield 3 lead designer David Goldfarb talked a lot about the singleplayer component of Battlefield 3, and where DICE drew inspiration from to craft the singleplayer campaign. Specifically, Goldfarb mentioned that DICE isn’t looking to emulate Modern Warfare nor are they looking to repeat Bad Company 2 — for Battlefield 3, they’re aiming for a more realistic experience.

"To use the example of Modern Warfare: they’re doing things their way and they’re awesome at that, but we wanted to do things our way, and we hope that we’re awesome at that. And that means we’re doing Generation Kill and 24; that’s closer to what we’re doing, I think."​

“Generation Kill” is a realistic, cinema vérité-styled TV series that follows a group of soldiers in Iraq. Goldfarb also mentioned that unlike the recent Call of Duty singleplayer campaigns that are constantly high-paced, Battlefield 3 aims for a variety of pacing styles throughout the story, as Goldfarb puts it:

“We are looking for a broad pacing, from 1-10 as opposed to 10-11. I think that’s a pretty big deal for shooters, to try to do that kind of pacing, to have it be slow for a little while and to make people wait. That’s much harder than we thought it was.”​

Finally, Goldfarb commented on the length of the singleplayer campaign, saying that it’s around 7 hours, depending on what difficulty you play on, and mentioned that they’re rather “have six hours of awesome than 12 hours of ‘meh’”. We couldn’t agree more.

hell, i'm feeling disappointed.

on one side, mind blowing graphics on PS3's 256MB per part ram, other side, 2xGTX580 SLis to power PC graphics(which isn't exactly 10 times better, maybe 2x at the most, but the hardware powering it is more than 10 times faster)...

Sad.

Aman27deep said:
yeah it's an awesome game, too bad no server pings below 350 for me (ingame) so playing that is no fun.
Yes asian servers are empty.For me pings are within 150 range sometimes goes beyond 200.

They aren't going to develop any game that can use the full power of two GTX 580s. Not everybody can afford that obviously, and they don't want such people to feel they have missed out on the "true" experience.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

From BF3 blog -

DICE: it takes 100 hours to complete a kit and unlock everything

One of the most popular aspects of Battlefield 2 was its deep persistence feature, where players earned unlocks and awards as they played, and which could keep them busy for years. This returned in Bad Company 2, however, you could unlock most of the weapons and gadgets in Bad Company 2 in a few dozen hours, something which took DICE by surprise.

For Battlefield 3, DICE always stated that they were going with a much deeper persistence feature, with many more unlocks and a revamped unlock structure for weapons and attachments. Now DICE’s Alan Kertz has unveiled just how long it takes to unlock all the weapons, attachments and gadgets for a class: 100 hours.

The reason it takes so long is because unlocks in Battlefield 3 are given per weapon basis, where each weapon attachment must be unlocked for a specific weapon, meaning that players will be unlocking the same attachments and gadgets over and over again, for each weapon. Most weapons will be given three slots: one for scope, one for barrel, and one under-barrel slot for grips, bipods, grenade launchers, etc.

On one hand, the more you use a weapon, the more and better accessories you get for it, on the other hand, it might get a bit too repetitive unlocking the same thing again and again. But we’ll have to wait and see how the system works when the game ships. Or in the upcoming beta.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think about it, an unlocked scope should work on ANY gun that supports it. Why should I have to unlock the exact same scope for a different gun? Its not like its welded onto a weapon. Really odd design decision.

So whats next? Unlock "ammo" for every gun even though they may share the same type? Maybe they want us to start the game with a knife? Or how about butt naked and unlock underwear, shoes, pants, vest, armor, helmet etc? They can extend the unlocks by another 50 hours this way.

Sounds really annoying not to mention stupid IMO....

Rickyk said:
The reason it takes so long is because unlocks in Battlefield 3 are given per weapon basis, where each weapon attachment must be unlocked for a specific weapon, meaning that players will be unlocking the same attachments and gadgets over and over again, for each weapon.

EPIC PHAIL !! First no in game server browsers, and then this. Someone in DICE should actually sit down and play the game till 100% completion, all unlocks. I doubt they are doing that right now. All these decisions look very nice on the drawing board but not so much when implemented.

Back