Beam cable Hyd 2mbps@999

^^ plus its a pain to get connected to the customer care in the first place.. They don't work at night and in day time, 70% of the time nobody picks up the phone, 20% of the time it gets picked up after staying on hold for 10-20 minutes, rest 10% it gets picked up within 2 minutes but you have to be very lucky..

I am getting horrible speeds from the last couple of days particularly servers based in the US and international sites, how is your speed guys for example video sites will buffer like crazy, but when you use a torrent its okay so again confused.

^^ Same here.. infact even speed tests within India are lower than 1 mbps all the time on my 2mbps connection. And it seems like they are even throttling/blocking traffic. Http downloads were horrible, so i tried a torrent download of ubuntu cd and that was super fast

Edit: It could be due to ganesh utsav though. I've been getting SMS's from them since a week that cables have to be removed from many places because of this and there could be disruption of services..I thought that it was a 1 or 0 thing (i.e. ur connection might not work but not that connection wud be there but just slow) but maybe this is the cause..

No shantanugoel it's not the ganesh festival I have been experiencing shitty speeds from last week, raise the complaint 2 times but they auto close the same with a SMS message that you ticket has been resovled, what no one even called me to ask if the problem is solved.

I have also noticed that the speed is okay in early morning but as the day progress it deteriorates very badly I am on the 4 Mbps plan and it looks like I am on 512 - 1 Mbps plan and watching videos on youtube is horrible with crazy buffering, the other bad thing is that I told them that I wanted to downgrade my connection as they are not able to provide the speeds and their rep told me the speed can will happen only with the next billing cycle so I will have to pay even though they cannot provide the speeds according to my plans.

I have also noticed that servers based in the US are badly effected, most of them cant even provide consistent speeds of around 512 kbps, I hope its a temp issue and they fix the same rather than ignoring it like nothing is happening.

BTW have you guys noticed that the upload speeds have also gone really bad, I am just getting around .5 - .6 Mbps upload speeds to server in India and just around .2 - .3 mbps to international servers previously I used to get around 3.1 - 3.5 Mbps, also to get a true speedtest try this airtel speed test http://speed.airtelbroadband.in/ its a Java based speed test and is more accurate.

I noticed another thing just now.. since the time i took connection, i always used to get an ip in the range 124.123.xxx.xxx but since this problem has started, I have an ip in the range of 183.83.xxx.xxx so there is definitely something going on at the back end..

Nice observation Shautanu but I had taken the connection only last month around 15 Aug and I have noticed that I have always been assigned in the IP range of 183.83.xx.xxx range but I never had any speed problems last month and I was raving about the connection, its just that from the last 7-9 days the speed problems has appeared from nowhere and is getting bad every day specially during peak hours.

Just a thought did they over sell and now they are just not adding bandwidth capacity :( Coz I have known a couple of people who have migrated to Beam after their new attractive packages and due to Airtel crazy FUP broadband plans.

funtoon said:
Nice observation Shautanu but I had taken the connection only last month around 15 Aug and I have noticed that I have always been assigned in the IP range of 183.83.xx.xxx range but I never had any speed problems last month and I was raving about the connection, its just that from the last 7-9 days the speed problems has appeared from nowhere and is getting bad every day specially during peak hours.
Update : Just spoke to them. They say that their server is down and the problem will be rectified by Monday. This has affected the whole Hyd and Sec area.

^^ I registered a complaint too but they didn't tell me anything. but what you says looks ok because I was doing some tests today and seems there are issues with their backend. I am not able to reach a lot of sites (infact, even my vpn not working :( ). I ran trace route to a lot of these unreachable IP addresses from my PC as well as through online services (which do the same from various other countries) and all the time these are failing/timing out/destination not reachable on few particular VSNL IPs in hyderabad (they may be leasing their bandwidth from VSNL)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Update: I got a call from beam. The guy said the same thing that there is some problem at their backend and would be rectified by monday evening.

Well my beam connection is down for the last couple of hrs........... I am in the Himayatnagar area anyone else whose connection is down one of my friend who is in Banjara Hills for him its working, suck man trying to call 66272727 but its always engaged is their support down on Sundays?

Update: After a couple of hrs the connection came back automatically, I guess it was down for about 4 hrs or so, but during this time I tried to call beam several times and I always got the engaged tone :(

^^same here.. my connection went down in the afternoon and is still down :( ..getting line busy always on calling customer care..I hope this is happening to take care of their backend issues otherwise I'd be so pissed..

I had maybe about two sessions of 4-6 hour downtime this month but I'm at the 150GB mark and my bandwidth is still 4mbps. I had some downtime earlier today in addition to the earlier said but connectivity resumed after about an hour.

Update: My connection resumed and speeds also seem to be back to normal..lets hope it stays this way...it's too much of a pain browsing over edge network..everything is too slow..

@damn: Which area bro?

Sorry to break the joy guys, the connection was just up for about 2 hrs and its down again from that time........ I don't think so it would resume today........... luckily I did not yet surrender my airtel connection.

BTW shatanugoel did you try watching some youtube videos was having lot of buffering issues with 480p and even 360p earlier today so the connection was erratic when it resumed.

I finally got the beam 2mbps plan around a week ago.

Downloaded ~13GB in the first 24 hours of getting it activated. But have been facing low speeds during the daytime since day before yesterday. even youtube at 360p buffers when all other downloads are turned off. Is that normal for beam ?

Their server problems still haven't been rectified, so speeds are inconsistent and there are lot's of disconnections. They say, it would take at least 2 days to rectify everything. Once ip address changes from 183.x.x.x to 124.x.x.x we could assume things have been corrected.

Yes the speed have improved a lot during the last 2-3 days, it was very bad for a week during the last week of september I had lot of down times during 31 Sep, 1 and 2 Oct but today it was stable and the speeds are good also ping time to lot of international sites have decreased hope it stays like this :)

I too noticed that we are getting a IP in a new range 183.xxx.xx.xxx don't know what is with that.

Shatanugoel on which plan are you with beam? If above 2 Mbps plans could you please post your speedtest.net results for some of the cites based in USA.

Back