Best Disk Defragmenter?

As title say's Best Disk Defragmenter?

1.What do you use?
2.What do you recomend?
3.How often do you defragment?
1)I use Norton disk defragmenter.
2)None that i know of.
3)Once every 2 weeks.

Lets face the fact.With Windows Xp and NTFS Fragmentation isnt a big headache nor does it give a big performance Boost.So actually Windows defrag should suffice.
But the best one is without doubt PERFECT DISK

My reasons
1.Only and only one to be certified by Microsoft.You can trust this one not to screw up
2.Can defrag each and every file.That includes Locked Files,boot files,Page File,Mft.
Defragmenting those Locked system files,page files and boot files can give some performance boost and faster boot.
Also

Patented File Placement Strategy - PerfectDisk has a patented file placement strategy called SMART Placementâ„¢ that is designed to slow down the rate of refragmentation and to speed up future defragmentation passes. PerfectDisk accomplishes this via consolidation of free space and by identifying both rarely modified and frequently modified files, and grouping them together. SMART Placement of files results in your drive maintaining its peak performance longer and reduces the need to frequently run defragmentation passes.

I use windows ME defrag.exe on my windows 98 se installation. I use it about once in 3 months.

Yeah, with linux filesystems or NTFS, defragmentation isn't essential, the FAT filesystems needed it as they were really built for floppy disks, and not to store large volumes of data.

Only and only one to be certified by Microsoft.You can trust this one not to screw up
:eek:hyeah:
thats hardly any assurance :p reckon thats a negative :rofl:

Can defrag each and every file.That includes Locked Files,boot files,Page File,Mft.
Defragmenting those Locked system files,page files and boot files can give some performance boost and faster boot.
Norton and diskeeper claim to do this too i think. I kinda like the save and forget setting of diskeeper though

I have been using Diskeeper for the past 1 year or so on my office computer. I leave the setting at "Set it and Forget it". Although I haven't noticed any boost in performance so far, I do feel my system is responsive and doesn't feel loaded as some of my colleague's.

SuperNova PD is comparetively a small soft you can always give it a try.

Here is the official list of features

Product Features
PerfectDisk is designed to make the defragmentation process easy.

Safety - Microsoft provides disk defragmenters with a safe way to defragment most files online, while Windows is running. Microsoft’s defragmentation Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) allows safe defragmenting of files on NTFS, FAT16 and FAT32 file systems. These defragmentation APIs are a part of the native Windows file systems and have been coded, tested and certified by Microsoft to ensure that no data loss or corruption occurs when a file is moved. The defragmentation APIs are fully synchronized with all file I/O and memory management functions of Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Microsoft’s defragmentation APIs even allow defragmenting files that are open and currently being modified. For safety reasons, PerfectDisk uses Microsoft’s defragmentation APIs. This ensures that peak system performance is maintained in a safe manner.
Windows Certification - As the only defragmenter certified by Microsoft for Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003, PerfectDisk has been tested and found to meet Microsoft’s highest standards for safety and reliability. PerfectDisk also carries the Designed for XP - Optimized logo from Microsoft.
Large Drive Support - Large drives are common in today’s operating environments - even for home users. Drives that range in size from 100 gigabytes to several terabytes can now be found. PerfectDisk was designed with the goal of being able to quickly and completely defragment large drives. PerfectDisk is able to completely defragment large drives 2 to 3 times faster than other defragmenters can - all while using minimal system resources.
Available Free Space - While a certain amount of usable free space is required for any disk defragmenter to work, PerfectDisk performs well with as little as 5% usable free space. Other disk defragmentation products may suggest that you have at least 20% usable free space in order to effectively defragment a disk. PerfectDisk can defragment disks with little free space and lots of fragmentation - disks where other disk defragmenters will simply give up.
Single Pass Consolidation of Free Space - Defragmenting files is just one part of maintaining peak disk performance. Another important part is free space consolidation. Consolidating free space ensures that new files will be created quickly and contiguously - ensuring that peak performance is realized from the beginning. Free space consolidation also results in a faster performing drive - much faster than simply defragmenting files. PerfectDisk’s advanced defragmentation technology ensures that free space is as consolidated as possible. With less advanced disk defragmenters, either there is no effort made to consolidate free space or free space consolidation occurs slowly over a long period of time. Either way, the disk will quickly refragment - immediately reducing performance and requiring more frequent defragmentation passes - each consuming a significant amount of system resources.
Single Pass Defragmentation of Files - The purpose of running a disk defragmenter is so that when it completes, the majority of the files on the disk - including system files - are defragmented and the free space is consolidated. Only a technologically advanced defragmenter like PerfectDisk can defragment a disk in a single pass. Other less advanced disk defragmenters may require or recommend multiple defragmentation runs - with each pass slowly reducing the number of fragmented files. With other disk defragmenters, after a defragmentation pass has completed, you may have not solved your fragmentation issues. With PerfectDisk, your disk fragmentation issues are solved after the 1st pass.
Completeness of Defragmentation - Each drive contains different types of files - depending on the file system used and what the drive is used for. It may include directories, system files and data files. The expectation when you run a defragmentation utility is that it will defragment all of the files on the drive. PerfectDisk can defragment all file types, including all system files. Less advanced disk defragmenters can not defragment all file types and not all system files, leaving your disk still fragmented and free space scattered all over the place.
Patented File Placement Strategy - PerfectDisk has a patented file placement strategy called SMART Placementâ„¢ that is designed to slow down the rate of refragmentation and to speed up future defragmentation passes. PerfectDisk accomplishes this via consolidation of free space and by identifying both rarely modified and frequently modified files, and grouping them together. SMART Placement of files results in your drive maintaining its peak performance longer and reduces the need to frequently run defragmentation passes.
Enterprise Scheduling and Management including full integration with Active Directory - With Perfect Management technology, PerfectDisk can easily be scheduled and managed throughout your entire network. With PerfectDisk's Network Configuration Wizard, you can quickly and easily make changes to PerfectDisk's configuration information on a large number of computers across your enterprise. PerfectDisk’s Network Schedule Wizard makes it easy to quickly and easily query your network to find out when PerfectDisk is scheduled to run on computers and when it last ran. Integration with Active Directory Group Policy allows for quick and easy deployment of PerfectDisk and any PerfectDisk software updates. PerfectDisk’s Active Directory Administrative Template provides for quick and easy configuration of PerfectDisk, allowing you to customize access to PerfectDisk features according to Active Directory Organizational Units. With 5 pre-defined Group Policy schedules per Active Directory Organization Unit, enterprise scheduling has never been easier.
Single Server Product - With some defragmenters, you may have to use a "special" version of the software if you have a large number of drives, a large number of files or have drives over a 100GB in size. You may also get charged a premium for the ability to defragment a large number of drives or drives over a certain size. The server version of PerfectDisk will install on ANY server version of Windows - regardless of number or size of drives or number of files.
Master File Table (MFT) Placement - PerfectDisk is unique in its ability to optimally place the MFT on the drive where Microsoft recommends to gain an additional 5-10% improvement in drive performance.

Disk-keeper is prolly the second best.
I used to use O&O b4 i found PD.O&O isnt just thorough enough.It showws locked files etc and doesnt defragment them.No feature for offline defragment either.While PD doesnt leave even a single file.

I use the inbuilt defragmenter of System Mechanic..... good one....
None that i can recommend of...........
Defrag my drives one in every 3 weeks............
:thumb:

Back