Best entry level DSLR.

In terms of lenses, 4/3rds (Olympus-Panasonic) is probably the best out there or let me say the most consistent across the range. Right from the cheapest to the most expensive lenses - there's no lemon in the range unlike canikon where there are quite a few.

However olympus bodies have one seriously fatal flaw - horribly noisy sensors. If the fix the sensor problems, they'd be really good.

^^ Its decent, about as good as the Sony. But it has a smaller sensor size and lacks the shallow depth of field that the Sony's , Canons and Nikons have. It is too expensive in India to consider it. Abroad it is much better priced and an option for those just moving from P&S cameras.

@Chaos - The A200 uses its own propriety RAW format - ARW. However Adobe camera RAW supports it. And I use a very good freeware RAW convertor - Raw Therapee.

verma said:
Sangram recently bought a D40

For the record, my shutter count is still under 500 (I've had the cam for two months now) and 90% of the shots have been pics I've taken for forum sales :p

I just didn't want a P&S which would turn to junk a year later, wanted to spend a little more and get one that I could get good results with and I could learn a little on, and if it suited me, buy some good glass and upgrade the body later.

I'm totally satisfied - the lack of AF doesn't deter me - in fact I've started taking a lot more shots in manual mode now, as the camera tends to very slightly underexpose. And manual focus is a snap to adjust to, even though I have precisely zero photography experience.

As for Ken, that's a pretty old site. The camera takes very good pictures no doubt and the price sweetens the deal, but if it's a second camera for someone moving on in the hobby, there may be better choices.

MF ? I thought you had the kit 18-55mm VR lens. That autofocuses with the D40.

@TechHead - No dont suggest Pentax as well ! Pentax cameras are built like a tank and have good IQ as well. But the availability in India is a big question mark and so I say dont go it and stick with either Sony, Nikon or Canon (if you are comfortable with the grip. Also it is on the wrong side of heavy. It can get a little bit awkward unless you are a big beefy guy.

@OP - I personally say go for the A200 IF your friend will never buy another lens for a few years at least.

I do, but the autofocus doesn't always work well in close quarters+low light, specially when I need detail pics. You can see some issues with some of my pics, both with the D40 and 400D (the latter is not mine). Ergo, manual mode.

Chaos said:
NEFs are kind of a pain to process

What?? I've been using Nikon all my digital camera life (I had canon in film days), and I never had problem using NEFs. Picasa supports it (I don't use it other than uploading pics on picasaweb), PS supports it (primary software). I don't know any other software I would use other than these so I'm not sure. But I was never stuck while using NEFs. Although one thing I would agree, the software that comes with Nikon cams, Nikon picture suit or editor something is absolutely POS!

Thanx guys for the suggestions.. But iam now more confused.. I think i should be adding a poll..

Is there any way to add a poll to this thread or do i have to start a new thread with the poll??

vinycm said:
But iam now more confused

LOL... sorry about the whole chaos of opinions (not our dear member Chaos :p).

Anyway, to sum it all up.

You can't go wrong with either Nikon D40 and Sony A700, but the most important thing would be let your friend know some key specs (pros and cons BF1983 pointed out) so he knows what's important for him.

As for Canon 1000D, and even others for that matter if your friend check the cameras in physical so he knows what he would be comfortable with, in terms of handling, access to key functions. So instead of taking blind advice on either of the one device. Simply go to nearest camera show-room and check all these three devices and make a decision.

I have this simple belief, if you're comfortable with certain camera you will be able to take better pictures than other better camera. Although a better camera will let you stretch your creative limits, you don't need high-end camera always to take better pictures. :)

iGo said:
What?? I've been using Nikon all my digital camera life (I had canon in film days), and I never had problem using NEFs. Picasa supports it (I don't use it other than uploading pics on picasaweb), PS supports it (primary software). I don't know any other software I would use other than these so I'm not sure. But I was never stuck while using NEFs. Although one thing I would agree, the software that comes with Nikon cams, Nikon picture suit or editor something is absolutely POS!

I've never used NEFs personally to be honest. This was the opinion of a friend who switched from a D70s to a 40D. He was like the Nikon workflow software and processing are completely messed up and that was the primary reason why he sold all his nikon stuff and switched. He's a semi pro - has done quite a few portfolios.

BF1983 said:
In fact neither Nikon nor Sony have a really good normal to telephoto lens (the Nikon has the 55-200mm which is short on the long end and the Sony has the 75-300mm lens which is very soft at the long end and and the IS is not too effective at that length.)

The Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is supposed to be quite good right?

BTW not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the one thing the Nikon D40 has in its favour is the body feel. Inspite of recommending Canon options to someone I know, they still went ahead and got a Nikon simply because it felt 'better' in their hands. However I still agree its a bit limited in certain areas :p

vinaycm said:
Is there any way to add a poll to this thread or do i have to start a new thread with the poll??

Start a new thread and report it, we'll merge the thread to this one.

Chaos said:
He was like the Nikon workflow software and processing are completely messed up and that was the primary reason why he sold all his nikon stuff and switched.

That I'd say is rather correct. If you're using Nikon's own software, you're as good as screwed. Besides, it's not like that they give you full software suit free with camera. Just a limited functionality version. So if you're going spend on Nikon's software, I'd say spend a bit more on better software like Lightroom or Aperture (if you're on mac) and get rid of managing/workflow headache. :)

@Crazy_Eddy - The Nikon 18-200m VR is a good lens considering its range. However, for 30k, its not exactly cheap and at 200mm its a bit too short at the long end. In addition it suffers from distortions throughout its range, pictures are soft at the corner region (only the center is sharp) and its macro (close up performance) is not too good.

I personally would prefer the 18-55mm VR with a 70-300mm VR for a lesser price, but better optical performance. Of course the 18-200 range is really convenient and the short range of the 18-55mm lens does mean you have to switch lenses a bit too much.

But I agree 100% with what you say. Be comfortable with your camera. I have a Nikon L11 camera which is nice and compact, but I am never comfortable with the lack of control on that cam and I have yet to take any nice picture with it.

Since my last thread on the topic recived a lot of different opinion regarding the best product, iam starting this thread with a poll for the same..

Plz vote for the cam which you think it is the best in the category.

Options:
Nikon D40
Nikon D60
Canon EOS 1000D
Sony Alpha A200

(Iam dropping out the other candiates in this category as only these ones are available in local stores in Trivandrum)

@ Mods : Plz merge with my old thread.

Sorry Vinay, for hijacking the thread for moment.

I'm planning to buy Canon EOS 450D, Dear BF1983,

Can you please list the pros and cons of EOS 450D too,

just like you've done for DSLRs?

Back