Best entry level DSLR.

vinaycm said:
AFAIK the EOS 450D dosent have much cons.. The main one being the disappointing kit lens i think..

From what i have heard from a lot of my Planespotting Friends, its actually much better than many other kit lenses out there.

Using my D40 for a little more then a month and 5000 shutter clicks already, it just gets more exciting day by day, the metering the accurate, AF is precise (though a bit slow in dim light, but I don't find it a problem really). Its light, maybe the lightest DSLR in the market, the VF is big and bright and VR does a great job. The flash is also plenty powerful for a stock, what else you need for a start ?. This camera gives me vibrant colors. All this in a sweet price package.

I have a small group of people in my city who are into serious photography and wild life, some of them work for WWF, BBC, NatGeo and Discovery. I have used their Canon 40D, 5D MK I & II, Nikon D700/300, D90, D80 and D60/D40, with a huge range of lens from fisheye to 600mm, but always went back to my D40 cause it can create equally great pics (PS: if you have proper skills of using available light source and angle) in good light, even dim light and also cause its very easy to carry around, stop chasing Megapixels.

The features that separates D40 from its competitors are least used by these people, i have noted it quite well. Also the fact that most of these people recommended the D40 for me as my first step into DSLR photography, other people who had the D60 said they got the D60 instead cause D40 was out of stock everywhere and was no where to be found. They said 6MP is enough for prints upto 22 x 16inch. D40 also had quite good high ISO performance, maybe cause of its low MP count, but you can use upto ISO1600 and not worry about noise that much.

when I was buying my DSLR, 1000D and A200 was on my list, but went for the D40 in the end, i tried the 1000D at the mall in Ahmedabad, and i found the AF on quicker then the D40, but the grip was pathetic, VF was small and hard to see, the XS was also slow at shooting continous RAW + JPEG, i was getting like 1fps after 5 shots.

Get a D40 + 18 - 55mm VR + SB400 and your all set.

Just my little suggestion :).

*Edited* added the bold part.

Vinay is quite right actually. The 450D has no major shortcomings. And yes the kit lens is the best kit lens (sharpness wise) running neck to neck with the Nikon 18-55mm VR.

If it has a shortcoming, it is that it is a bit big compared to the D40 and 1000D. Also its live view is pathetic and the Sony A300 has a far more usuable live view compared to the 450D.

But my main contention is that one should spend more on the lenses. A Nikon D40 with a 16-80mm VR lens will give better pictures than a 450D with a 18-55mm(while costing a vee bit more) lens. And IMHO if you plan on getting lots of lenses get a sony a200 as all its lenses attached will be image stabulized.

BF1983 said:
If it has a shortcoming, it is that it is a bit big compared to the D40 and 1000D. Also its live view is pathetic and the Sony A300 has a far more usuable live view compared to the 450D.

SLR also, but Live view also?? How many things u want to be Perfect in an SLR?

My Friend, SLR = HQ. For that u require IS. Cam already has one. Why would one want to spoil that by using Live View & streched Arms? I mean, unless u want to spoil ur Pics deliberately :bleh: .

BF1983 said:
But my main contention is that one should spend more on the lenses. A Nikon D40 with a 16-80mm VR lens will give better pictures than a 450D with a 18-55mm(while costing a vee bit more) lens. And IMHO if you plan on getting lots of lenses get a sony a200 as all its lenses attached will be image stabulized.

Also, where did a 450D come into picture in a 'Best entry level DSLR' Thread. As BF1983 said, buy a true enrty level & invest the rest on ur Money in a Good lens. Get a 400D/1000D and a Nice Lens instead.

Regds
Rutvij.

rutvijt said:
Also, where did a 450D come into picture in a 'Best entry level DSLR' Thread. As BF1983 said, buy a true enrty level & invest the rest on ur Money in a Good lens. Get a 400D/1000D and a Nice Lens instead.

I think he was answering to this..
coolmint said:
Sorry Vinay, for hijacking the thread for moment.

I'm planning to buy Canon EOS 450D, Dear BF1983,

Can you please list the pros and cons of EOS 450D too,

just like you've done for DSLRs?

Also, i think that the biggest advantage of using a viewfinder is the ease of composition and the slow contrast based focusing when using the lcd(though it focusing with live view is faster with the alpha series).
sometimes live view is useful when it is not possible to compose the image unless you hold it away from you.

for the OP, i think one advantage that nikon has over canon is that their lenses use high quality optical elements throughout their range, budget or pro.

i mean, the L series glasses of Canon are a class apart, but their budget lens are not upto the quality of most nikon budget ones.

so unless you want to invest in expensive lenses, nikon probably will give you better glass if you want to move up.

maybe some expert will elaborate on these points.

@tirthankar - yes you are right. Dont know how correct your statement about the nikon and canon lenses, but i cant remember any real lemons from nikon. But the 18-55mm non IS kit lens and the 75-300mm USM lens from Canon are two lemons i know off from Canon.

I am using the Sony a lot here in Goa, and the more i use it, the more I love it. The metering is really reliable. The AF on my 14 year old Minolta lens is fast and accurate.

Basically when you are spending 25k on a DSLR, you will not find major differences in IQ. Best to get the one which feels most comfortable in your hands and concentrate more on clicking snaps.

Guys , i am interested in buying one too .

Budget is <25k , are there any new models out other than the one's discussed in the thread ?

Also where can i get the best price for the same ? , Ebay or Locally?

PS : Never bought a camera before .

Because this will be your first camera, my opinon is that you should start with a cheaper, simpler P&S first and then get a D-SLR once you're comfortable and know for sure that you are truly interested in it as a hobby. Most of todays point and shoots can give pretty good quality.

^^ Agree wholeheartedly with Cyberjunkie. DSLRs are meant for people who find P&S cameras lacking. DSLRs are big and clunky and only people who can use them properly will not mind too much the extra weight. For someone just starting into photography a P&S with manual controls is a good way to learn the basics.

Hey guys!

I have a pretty good experience with P&S and now I think its time to upgrade to a D-SLR. I enjoy photography as a hobby but now I'm a little confused too about which D-SLR to pick.

Recently a friend has picked Nikon D3000 for 26k with bill, UV Filter, bag and lens kit which came with it. A friend of mine is selling one year old Canon 450D (billed) with 2GB SD Card, UV filter etc for 24k.

Pls. recommend something within 25-26k.

and sorry for bumping this thread :)

Back