Best Inverter AC in India? Edit: Bought Sharp AH-XP18MV (AC discontinued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought in last Nov, installed in Dec 2012. First real use in April 2013. Electric bill arrived on last week of May and was unbelievable. Two 1.5 Ton acs, one 8 hours of operation and the other 12 hours on a daily basis along with refrigerator, washing machine, microwave, pc, audio systems, tvs and all. Total bill payable INR 1330. :)

Hence refrained to post until now. Waiting for May 2013 electric bill.

Hey Rishi, What were the actual units consumed? I also wonder what is the rate per kWh you pay in Kolkata.
The total bill is too good to be true considering overall household usage... Congrats !!

Bought in last Nov, installed in Dec 2012. First real use in April 2013. Electric bill arrived on last week of May and was unbelievable. Two 1.5 Ton acs, one 8 hours of operation and the other 12 hours on a daily basis along with refrigerator, washing machine, microwave, pc, audio systems, tvs and all. Total bill payable INR 1330. :)

Hence refrained to post until now. Waiting for May 2013 electric bill.

Your electric companies prices must be quite low. I get bill of 1100 rupees a month with just 145 units used in all for whole house. No AC. How much units do you average with AC on 8 hrs a day? I'm guessing around 450-500 a month. For so many units I'd be paying around 8 per unit. :(

Yes, it would be great if someone can post the actual unit consumption by AC mentioning the operation time. The unit prices do vary alot, with no AC operation, ~1500rs is our minimum monthly bill :(

Well the electric bill is too low considering your consumption pattern. Let me explain. You say you run 1 AC for 12 hours and one for 8 hours. Even if we consider lowest electric consumption .8 units per hour ie just 16 units for the AC. Then the refrigerator. Even a 4 star rated refrigerator consumes between 3-5 units per day. Then fans. So adding that would mean a minimum consumption of around 25 units per day. For 30 days thats 750 units. Now even if its 5 Rs / unit it would be 3750. This is the lowest I have considered. It should really be around this or more than this. I guess you need to see if your meter is working fine or get it replaced or one fine day the electric company may realize this and then send you a random bill. Do reconfirm and let us know.[DOUBLEPOST=1371011646][/DOUBLEPOST]@6pack @kanishk619 - yes the figures mentioned are impossible like I explained in my earlier post. For an 8 hour operation an inverer 1.5T ac would consume anywhere from 200-250 units a month. For a non inverter that would be close to 400-500 units a month. The calculation is simple. Usually per hour inverter AC would consume appx .8-1 unit and incase of non invert its around 1.3-1.6

Last edited by a moderator:
I take all his posts with a large pinch of salt

Half his technical posts are plagiarized from tech documents

I am from Kolkata and I pay 1000 bucks for winter months
Summers are around 5k a month

Either he stays in a rural area / village far away from urban providers or he has his figures wrong

Either he stays in a rural area / village far away from urban providers or he has his figures wrong
Electric companies charge same rate even in rural areas. They only charge less for BPL families which are quite less. I mean look at the bill. Their definition of BPL = less than 50 units a month.
I stay away from city and still pay huge bills for very low usage. :x

Well the electric bill is too low considering your consumption pattern.

I know. For sure the electric consumption meter is up and working but I do not know whether they have not done a reading and just quoted an average wrt to last year. Neither do I have the time to investigate this matter any further.

Well the electric bill is too low considering your consumption pattern…... I guess you need to see if your meter is working fine or get it replaced or one fine day the electric company may realize this and then send you a random bill. Do reconfirm and let us know.

So now I will provide units consumed and amount payable for the month of May. Usage of by two ACs are on the higher side of as described in my previous posts.

May, 2013 -> 312 Units -> INR 2,150
May, 2012 -> 209 Units [No AC’s]
Difference = 312 – 209 = 103 Units

Therefore approximate consumption of both ACs = 103
Consumption per AC = 103/2= 51.5 Units.

The Sharps Inverters seems to be on a diet. I love diet ACs!!!

His calculation should be taken with pinch of salt. Even a 150w frost free fridge takes 3-4 units a day. That's 90 units a month minimum. How can two AC's of 1.5kwh take less than a fridge and cool more?
Either he does not use AC's as long a time as he's mentioned, or his meter is spoilt completely and the bills are just average readings.

20 hours (8 hours + 12 hours) x 30 days = 600 hours. 103 units / 600 = ~172W per hour. Now IIRC, below 300W the AH-XP18MV's compressor is off, so basically your AC isn't working?

Strange isn't it? I mean I did this calculation too and scratched my head.:confused:

Mind you both ACs run a 29 ~ 28 degree centigrade since they are somewhat bigger for the rooms. Air circulation is pretty high, so at daytime and in night with AC set to 29 degrees one will be very comfortable. Maybe be coz the set temperature is high so the compressor is running next to nothing thus consuming very less. Also this year in Kolkata the summers are much cooler than last year.

I believe some others who are owing the same AC in different parts of our country can provide a complete picture.

@RishiGuru - Definitely looks like your meter has gone bad. It might be running but not showing the correct info. At times it happens. Like you consume X units but it does not work correctly. I think you should get it tested because what will happen is if you do not register a complaint and later on the electric company finds out, it might charge you a random amount based on equipments you have. I know this because our meter had stopped working once and in the entire day it would register only 5 units. When we registered the complaint, the person who came said good you complained so the meter not working is counted from this month only and if the electric company thinks your meter is bad and does a check then it can estimate any random amount of time from which it can take the average.

Now coming to your part of electric consumption > the consumption pattern does not match your electric bills. Say you run your AC for 1 hour and it works only 50% of the time, even then it will consume appx -0.6-0.8 units per hour. Now if you run your AC for 20 hours (both acs counted 12+8) even then it would be around 12-16 units. Now your consumption per day is just 3.5 units and hence this does not look right. Lowest per day consumption I would expect around 8 units or more.

Do let us know what you find out regarding the above

Ah I get it now. At nights the ambient temperature is less than 29C, so your AC does not need to turn on. You could save even more power just using a ceiling fan.

Yes ceiling fan will save more energy but it will not do dehumidification. One way is to reach the desired temp and then close the AC and run the ceiling fan. Any way at those temperatures mentioned above the indoor atmosphere is very pleasant for the summers since the AC is directly blowing the air onto our bed. Same for the other room.

Dehumidification doesn't work with the compressor off.

Yep. But with the AC on, the compressor may kick every half hour or so and chime for 5 mins. Then I believe it is the coolant pump and the fan that does the rest of the job.

Anyway I do not want to delve any deeper as I am very happy with my Sharp Acs and they seem to be wonderfully light on the energy bills!!! Thanks all for being so co-operative and being helpful when it mattered the most. :)

EDIT: Oh my God!!! I just forgot to mention there was a Crompton Greaves "Windstar Farrata" pedestal fan of 500mm sweep that was running almost all the time last year and is packed up this year due to the installation of new ACs. This fan used to consume 160 watts. Also the ceiling fans of both rooms remains nonoperational while the AC's is on. So the difference between last year and this year is not 103 units as mentioned before, it is actually much higher.

I dont know how ppl from coastal region use 28C in AC without using ceiling fan. Airflow from A/C will not be sufficient to feel comfort at 28C. Body mechanism of feeling cold is different from temperature probes measurement. Human body use latent heat of vapourization to feel the cold. If there is no air circulation even at 10C we dont feel cold. 28C one must use ceiling fan + AC for comfort sleep. I will take mini fan when we go to Ooty or kodaikanal as I never get sleep due to lack of air circulation even outside temp is as low as 8C.
Our 1T carrier Estrella consumes 5.5 unit per nite at 25C

^ like he mentioned, air directly blows on him..

Though i can never dream of running A/C anything over 26 in Mumbai, no matter what time of day or season it is. Never checked with Interter Models though but i doubt if the experience will be much different.

Ok I did a test by keeping the AC on 26-27 and was surprised that it uses only around 200W! When the compressor peaks again when temperatures rise it goes to around .6-.8 but most of the times its at around .2-.3. Yes so I guess if the Inverter AC is kept at a higher temperature the consumption would be ridiculously low almost close to running a ceiling fan! And as the inverter AC basically the compressor never shuts down, it tries to adjust the ambient temperature and so there is no start / stop like the regular ACs. Hence in 1 hour it might just be consuming around 300-400 odd watts. Now if you run the AC for 20 hours like @RishiGuru then it works out to 6 units a day or 180 units-200 / month

Given this I guess that @RishiGuru 's power bill might after all be correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back