Best place to get Apple HomeKit lights and bulbs?

@MarioBros

raspberry pi is the recommendation for me. I am using the version three model and it’s good for experimenting with home bridge without breaking the bank.

I just installed a Homebridge camera using the pi v1.3 camera module. It’s a pretty shoddy camera but it was cheap it cost me Rs.250 only. reason I bought it is I wanted to see how HomeKit video worked so that in the future I can make a better decision when I buy a real security camera.

Edit : @superczar Any idea if the raspberry pi v1.3 camera module can be made to detect motion of people? Maybe via software? Or is it a hardware thing?

Any suggestions?
Motion can be detected in software.
However, what you are trying to do is CPU intensive in software (i.e. motion detection in real time ) and is in addition to the real time rtsp streaming that will happen when viewing feeds on the home app/ recording on a NVR (presumably later)

While the above isn’t very taxing for a desktop class CPU buti think the Rpi, esp the rpi3 will struggle with the load - and will probably end up resuling in dropped frames or worse, slow response on other homebridge calls.

worth a try anyway but I suspect adding a software camera on the same pi add will worsen the overall experience

@superczar any idea if it's possible to replicate the energy consumption monitoring of smart plug?

I can view that on a mobile app like tuya or smart life app.

Are there any homebridge plugins which have that functionality?

All my smart plugs are tuya kinds. I have configured them using tuya local homebridge plugin.

@superczar any idea if it's possible to replicate the energy consumption monitoring of smart plug?

I can view that on a mobile app like tuya or smart life app.

Are there any homebridge plugins which have that functionality?

All my smart plugs are tuya kinds. I have configured them using tuya local homebridge plugin.
There are several ways to track energy consumption
I use phase level monitoring with a board called PZEM-004T - which shows as up as something like this .

I have also in the past used tasmota devices to report power consumption directly to HA
AFAIK, many homebridge plugins do support this but you will need to look at the documentation of the plugin that you are using / search on their github page to see if it does

1628366831249.png

@superczar I'm going to try syska bulb firmware to tasmota. Since, it's tuya, I think it can be done using tuya-convert utility OTA without the need to solder stuff.

Any idea if this Saber bulb can also be flashed the same way to tasmota? It runs something called gridOS. Apparently it's an indian company. If that's true and not marketing, I guess I can't flash the firmware or can I?

Saber 9W LED Color and White Bulb (SBR-9W-RGBWW)

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08NZ9T17X

Edit : I was able to successfully flash the syska bulb to tasmota. I think. I will try to now configure it to work with homebridge.

Last edited:
@colors6 Which Indian blub or smart switch manufacturers work well with tasmota nd Homebridge integration?

Any idea if smarteefi (which is another Indian product ) works with tasmota?

Also please help me with the link of the tasmota firmware for Syska

Edit - Got the entire tasmota supported devices list - All Devices - Templates for Tasmota (blakadder.com)

I flashed the syska bulb to tasmota since it was having issues being detected in homebridge. So, I decided to flash from tuya to tasmota in hopes that will solve that issue.

follow instructions in this YouTube video to flash Syska To tasmota.

Yes, this will work…
However, The pl2303 chip on this will be a clone so you will likely run into initial issues with drivers (prolific blocks clones in their official drivers … )

CP2102 TTL converters may likely be a better option although pl2303 may also work after some googling for the right drivers

Yes, this will work…
However, The pl2303 chip on this will be a clone so you will likely run into initial issues with drivers (prolific blocks clones in their official drivers … )

CP2102 TTL converters may likely be a better option although pl2303 may also work after some googling for the right drivers
You were right, I did run into issues with the driver for the PL2303 device which I bought (I assume it is a clone)
took couple of hours to get the right drivers and finally found one and successfully for the very first time Tasmotised a smart device. (felt happy)

Back