Graphic Cards Best radeon 6850 brand

sandy8liv

Disciple
Looking to get a Radeon 6850, and was wondering about which brand (MSI, ASUS, Sapphire) would be the best overclocker and have the best stock cooling

I would say MSI.But you can figure out from the way the

1)heat sink being placed,if it's just covering the GPU or the memory too.For OCing look out for coverage of memory blocks too.

2)placement of fan and direction of airflow,if the air is being blown into or out.Dpends on your case too,if it's good enough to handle the type of airflow.

3)Size of the fan and design of heat sink,if you consider less dB sound.

4)look at the PCB closely for build quality,compare same model PCB with different brands.

5)And last but not least look out for reviews for that brand,cuz it's easy to get.

sandy8liv said:
Looking to get a Radeon 6850, and was wondering about which brand (MSI, ASUS, Sapphire) would be the best overclocker and have the best stock cooling
For different purposes different brands hold --

Sapphire makes the best stock AMD cards (the ones with the standard heat-sink-fan + shroud), with just their sticker on it, nifty over-clockers but best used @stock. http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&leg=&psn=000101&gid=3&sgid=1037

HIS is another renowned brand for AMD, pioneers of the IceQ heat-sink-fan package, they run cooler, thus over-clock better but again best used @stock. HIS IceQ Series Radeon HD 6970

Powercolor I've not used since my ATi X 700 got decommissioned 3 years back, but they make decent cards.

MSi Lightning / HAWK / Twin Frozr / Cyclone edition cards have beefy looking heat-sink-fan packages and are well known for being over-clocker friendly, on a side note some initial batch pieces had manufacturing defects, my HAWK HD 5770 got fried as a result of non contact between GPU and heat-sink. MSI Global ? Graphics Card - R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 Power Edition/OC

ASUS cards I've not used so no comments.

For me buying order would be like this --

HIS / Sapphire > MSi > Powercolor > any other brand...

Hope this helps.

Eyes closed get Sapphire 6850 stock or toxic.... Or get the MSI 6850 cyclone... ASUS 6850 DIRECT CU is also a nice card but will cost more...

My sapphire 6850 stock overclocks till 905mhz...after that artifacts are seen.... But sapphire has good cooling. Full Load temp goes max to 64 dc (AC at 24dc). The fan still spins at 40%.very aggressive fan profile. So the card is really VFM and gaming performance is also great. But at high resolution you will hardly notice the increased frames rates from a overclocked card. My friend has asus 6850 direct cu, which is also a very good card, cooling is same as sapphire stock,nicely built but is long as it is developed on 6870 pcb and the most sexy looking card... MSI 6850 stock is not that great, my friend has it, he is changing it now and taking 6870, MSI 6850 cyclone has very good reviews and awards, awesome overclocking potential and the cyclone cooler really handles the temp well, get it if available in india (dont miss it if its available). I dont have any comments regarding HIS 6850... Enjoy

rahul5 said:
I am using using Saphire Reference card and overclocked a it to 980/1175 with 1.250v using Saphire Trixx
Really?? I tried upping the vcore but still could reach 905...can you post your settings in trixx??

im not able to change the vcore of my powercolor 6850...tried Afterburner and Trixx,when i hit apply,it goes back to the default 1.150...can anyone explain this?

check whether you have unlocked the settings as shown

Doesnt it show up in asus sd or trixx??? Hope you are using the latest version on MSI AB because in SOME older versions the core voltage and fan profile werent tweakable

Attachments

• 94209325.jpg
    94209325.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 116
The difference between cards designed after the AMD's sample design and the one like the Asus Direct CU II and etc is that the sample AMD design dumps the hot air outside the case while keeping the card cool,while the other designs dump the hot air at the bottom of the case in the case itself and also some outside the case too but keep the GPU cooler compared to the sample design.

So if you have a good PSU which is placed at the bottom of the case and stays cool or you have a PSU which is at the top of the case or your case has a nice airflow then definitely go with the MSI or the Asus.

Otherwise go with a GPU designed after the sample AMD design ;)

Back