CPU/Mobo Best SLI mobo for 9800GT 1GB sli config & E5700 proc

vajm1234 said:
say 9k as ur budget

take this seriously m8 sell those 9800gt for ~3.5kodd here u will get additional 7k

now get urself a powerful gpu like 5770 as of now

+ corsair 450vx - this baby can guarantee handle dual 4850 so no worries its lot more powerful than its labelled wattage (personally tested it for more than a year)

at last waise no need to change the mobo now unless u wanna overclock very less diff u notice with the change in chipset from g31 to p45 etc @ stock speed... u can anyday bsel ur E7300 to run @ 333FSB and make it a 3.3ghz proccy fully stable with the stock cooler

u'll end up getting n saving a lot more than u expected

Do you know what a 9800GT is. It is a rebadged version of the 8800GT. And that card is still powerful. And in SLI it will RIP most games. The HD5770 is not a powerful GPU at all. It is a middle level product. It does not have enough power to run Dx11 games at full potential. No ways will the tessellation show 100% render with a HD5770.

Man seriously, if you ran XfireX on a VX450 -- I must give you a hearty salute. For living on the edge, and not getting burnt. You really want to give the same advice here. Yea, it is free advice with no liability..but is it right. Again you managed to (some how) run a E7300 on stock HSF at 3300 speed with stability -- but quoting that here makes no sense. No two chips are ever alike, and never should one quote the number. By the way you were stable as you have quoted, what temperatures were you running at. I can be stable at 95C, though I would never run my chip constant on that...????

neojjjk said:
9800gt sli huh...... bad choice...gts 250 sli is a good choice/...but 9800gt is not..

He just asked for a motherboard choice to run cards he has ACQUIRED. Who are we to question that. Could you show some data supporting what you just said.

desiibond said:
nvidia DX11: Release date is set in March and yes, there will be a definite price cut from AMD then.

Yes, there sure will be. We all been waiting for that, since Q3 2009..!

Sudarshan_SMD said:
n you haven't yet answered : what resolution you game at?

why did you purchased 2*9800GT's, though you knew you will need better PSU and a new mobo?:S

Again, who are we to question his acquisition of hardware. He wants to run SLI on 9800GT, and wants some recommendation. Let him. Please it is not that bad. He will get punch in the game play. Those are formidable cards -- still. How many real Dx11 games have come out. And post 5850 and 5870, the true power of Dx11 is not harnessed. Do not get carried away by the marketing hog wash -- Dx11 = any card with a 'HD5' in the prefix.

Sudarshan_SMD said:
n you haven't yet answered : what resolution you game at?

why did you purchased 2*9800GT's, though you knew you will need better PSU and a new mobo?:S

Nothing specific... but since i have a 2233 HD moniter.. ill be playing at 1080p :Comp5:

im giving it(2x9800gt) back tomorow... will go for a new 450vx and 5770 as mentioned here by most the ppl.

tempted to wait till march and get a 5850 instead..

:new:

ajinkyapatil said:
Nothing specific... but since i have a 2233 HD moniter.. ill be playing at 1080p :Comp5:

im giving it(2x9800gt) back tomorow... will go for a new 450vx and 5770 as mentioned here by most the ppl.

tempted to wait till march and get a 5850 instead..

:new:

I will suggest to get a PSU now and use one of the 9800GT, then upgrade to 5850(or any other) when you will have enough moolah.
9800GT will be enough(for playing at high resolution w/o AF).

9800GT SLI will be be great for high resolution, but then again you will need better PSU, new motherboard. again bottleneck due to proccy.

asingh said:
Do you know what a 9800GT is. It is a rebadged version of the 8800GT. And that card is still powerful. And in SLI it will RIP most games. The HD5770 is not a powerful GPU at all. It is a middle level product. It does not have enough power to run Dx11 games at full potential. No ways will the tessellation show 100% render with a HD5770.

Man seriously, if you ran XfireX on a VX450 -- I must give you a hearty salute. For living on the edge, and not getting burnt. You really want to give the same advice here. Yea, it is free advice with no liability..but is it right. Again you managed to (some how) run a E7300 on stock HSF at 3300 speed with stability -- but quoting that here makes no sense. No two chips are ever alike, and never should one quote the number. By the way you were stable as you have quoted, what temperatures were you running at. I can be stable at 95C, though I would never run my chip constant on that...????

He just asked for a motherboard choice to run cards he has ACQUIRED. Who are we to question that. Could you show some data supporting what you just said.

Yes, there sure will be. We all been waiting for that, since Q3 2009..!

Again, who are we to question his acquisition of hardware. He wants to run SLI on 9800GT, and wants some recommendation. Let him. Please it is not that bad. He will get punch in the game play. Those are formidable cards -- still. How many real Dx11 games have come out. And post 5850 and 5870, the true power of Dx11 is not harnessed. Do not get carried away by the marketing hog wash -- Dx11 = any card with a 'HD5' in the prefix.

1st thanks for the salute man yes u just ignoring the real power of a particular product n going by the numbers where 450w looks like a child (like 99 looks way lesser than the 100) "once a guy said to me for connecting 8 hdd u need a 1000 watt PSU aaccording to the calculator lol i was like wat to say haha... well well... repeat it just like all theory vs practical tests

now as u raised.... i tested 8800Gt and all similar gpu for more than 1 and half yrs too so i know wat it is earlier i used to rate a lil higher to nvidia for application support and SLI scalability but not now as crossfire is quite matured ... more over @ my time of 8800GT, nvidia known for AA AF performance (forgot abt the bad image quality vs performance drivers issue of that time ) but not anymore after the 4th series launched from ATI they have corrected a hell outta here from overclocking to AA AF performance to application support idle power load power etc if u have ever used anything over 4850 to properly tweak anything u will realise wat raw power it has its just the drivers that hold them back always u forgot the 5 series DTS encoding etc additional benefits too

u know what power consumption of an overage graphic card like? if u plug a tri sli or xfire u will realise the 3rd card sometime behaves like a waste dead garbage no use in some cases. and 2nd uses half of its potential like in over 75% cases

moreover understand what price he will get for this 9800gt later? after new intro from both sides... bet u a 9800gt cant even touch 70-75% performance of 5770's stock settings forget wat happen after overclocking.

coming to ur 2nd part every batch is different i agree but in over 95% cases the intel 45nm can handle the 3.3 after BSEL ... if it has 10 multipliers lol even 3.6 @ ~65c on an avg and (never bet on intels own HSF it looks crap piece of aluminium but still works for 45nm dc till certain levels perfectly)

@ajinkyapatil m8 if u can afford the 5850 then just go for it i know its a lil expensive to be honest but if u want to then just go for it dont even think abt the 5770 still later on u can go for quad with the 450vx but ur system will little bottleneck this babys actual power but who cares :p as dual core game better than the quad u can overclock anyday.

regards

vajm1234 said:
1st thanks for the salute man yes u just ignoring the real power of a particular product n going by the numbers where 450w looks like a child (like 99 looks way lesser than the 100) "once a guy said to me for connecting 8 hdd u need a 1000 watt PSU aaccording to the calculator lol i was like wat to say haha... well well... repeat it just like all theory vs practical tests

Well, as per me the VX450 is a child. I know renowned sites have done reviews and successfully mapped ~530W load on it. But then why has the manufacturer recommended it as a 450W. Now, please do not tell me that you are better regarding PSU load testing then the 80+ certification labs and OEM Corsair. Yes, I remember there was thread here about someone asking 8HDD mapping to a PSU. People recommended things from 400W till 1000W. I am sure, I did not quote such an insane number. People go gung-ho -- when giving free advice.

vajm1234 said:
now as u raised.... i tested 8800Gt and all similar gpu for more than 1 and half yrs too so i know wat it is earlier i used to rate a lil higher to nvidia for application support and SLI scalability but not now as crossfire is quite matured ... more over @ my time of 8800GT, nvidia known for AA AF performance (forgot abt the bad image quality vs performance drivers issue of that time ) but not anymore after the 4th series launched from ATI they have corrected a hell outta here from overclocking to AA AF performance to application support idle power load power etc if u have ever used anything over 4850 to properly tweak anything u will realise wat raw power it has its just the drivers that hold them back always u forgot the 5 series DTS encoding etc additional benefits too

u know what power consumption of an overage graphic card like? if u plug a tri sli or xfire u will realise the 3rd card sometime behaves like a waste dead garbage no use in some cases. and 2nd uses half of its potential like in over 75% cases

moreover understand what price he will get for this 9800gt later? after new intro from both sides... bet u a 9800gt cant even touch 70-75% performance of 5770's stock settings forget wat happen after overclocking.

It is not about green vs. red here. The situation was the OP has 2x9800GT, he had wanted to know what to do with them -- to game. We all convinced him to sell them and wait. How nice. And I was giving him assurance, that this set up was nice to play at. Not sure, what rig you are using, but regarding GPU power I have ever harnessed the power of GPUs, CPUs. Please have a look at my signature. I perfectly well know what Xfire is. I know how power is consumed, and how systems are balanced. And coming to 4xxx series, not sure where that came up from. Maximum we had reached was 9800GT vs the new Dx11 HD5xxx series. Also you have said, that in Xfire the daughter card is used 75% to its potential. You have any data for that. I have checked my cards intensively for stress, and load, and saw the 2nd card being stressed just fine.

vajm1234 said:
coming to ur 2nd part every batch is different i agree but in over 95% cases the intel 45nm can handle the 3.3 after BSEL ... if it has 10 multipliers lol even 3.6 @ ~65c on an avg and (never bet on intels own HSF it looks crap piece of aluminium but still works for 45nm dc till certain levels perfectly)

I know the E7300 has 10x multiplier which makes it a good OC chip. But betting my chip on stock HSF..err..no.

vajm1234 said:
@ajinkyapatil m8 if u can afford the 5850 then just go for it i know its a lil expensive to be honest but if u want to then just go for it dont even think abt the 5770 still later on u can go for quad with the 450vx but ur system will little bottleneck this babys actual power but who cares :p as dual core game better than the quad u can overclock anyday.

regards

Yes, he has decided to wait it out for the Fermi or HD5850 price reduction. Happy weather watching. :)

@ OP... sell both ur 9800GT while it still gives value.

Then buy a HD5830 when released IMO price <15k....

Then, if u OC ur CPU to around 3.2GHz, u can happily game with this baby(procc) for 1-2 more years..

Dude,
Sell those 9800GT's for 3.5-4K then buy a HD5770 and OC your processor to 3.2-3.4GHz and get a good cooler(Zalaman or something)(or if interested sell this C2D and buy Core i3 or i5 they have 3.2-3.6GHz core clocks).......
Then if u have more moolah, then go for a PSU(Assuming your present PSU can handle the above said Config)....
Enjoy....

If not
My advice
Sell this system totally
configure a Dell System online at Dell.co.in and order XPS8100(With a GTX260) and add another GTX260
Else Assemble a good PC yourself.....

hey mate,
if u r interseted in a cheap sli solution.
check out my post in the 'member market' forum.
i have an asus p5n-e-sli for sale.
it is a rock solid asus board with nvidia 650i chipset.
the board is still under warranty and i have the original box and all accessories.
u can have it for just 2500 and shipping.
pm me if u r interseted. we can negotioate as well.

Back