PC Peripherals Best Speakers under 10k

^^ I have an HTPC... with Windows MCE. My speakers would be right next to my TV and not my monitor. I rarely use my monitor as I use my controllers while gaming or racing and play the games on TV (LCD) as opposed to my monitor. Only when I am browsing internet and too tired to use my laptop, or have to setup a download that I use my PC monitor

errr......then you already have one set of wires going from PC till your TV (speakers). Whats the big deal in running another wire from STB to your PC?? :S

^^ No big deal, BUT the wiring is already done and is inside the wall. Now I will have to do this overground... so you see what I am saying. I dont want to get into this wirey mess, but this seems to be the only option right now. Well I guess I would have to live with this.

Now just waiting for 5500 price. Do you think Z5500 at 21k is worth it? Or should I just stick with Z5300 for 12k. 9k is a lot of money, its like 8 days work. 8 days of hard sweat driven job....

Finally decided to buy Logitech Z 5500 for 22.5k. Thats the cheapest price I could source them for in Delhi. Considering they come around $350 with shipping from newegg which translated to 17k... I guess 5.5k premium is not as bad. Hope these babies live up to my expectations!

^^ zhopudey & Chief-Techie Please answer the questions below to help me decide:

1) How much does Klipsch 5.1 speakers cost, their availability?

2) Have you heard the Logitech Z5500 and Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers? Or are you basing your responses from forum reading. Do you own any of the two speakers? Reason is, that just read some of the reviews of Logitech Z5500 you would be blown away.

Read over 762 reviews from Newegg of whome 91% are satisfied with these speakers.

Customer Reviews Of Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker - Retail

Read reviews about this product on websites done by people who have reviewed Klipsch as well:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/z5500/index1.php

Now if you have heard other Logitech speakers like Z5300 and are making your conclusions based on that, than you are not doing justice to these speakers. They are the best *value* multimedia 5.1 speakers that money can buy and not audiophile speakers (really no speaker in this budget can be, and most audiophiles prefer a stereo setup) that money can buy.

Their reviews are more favorable than this forums favorite MX5021.

So again, please let me know how you are judging these logies. Simply making a bland statement that they are good for mice and keyboards carries no merit.

Thanks in advance ..... :)

^^OK, did a lot of googling, Klipsch is definitely better than logies At least the Promedia Ultra 5.1 is. However they cost over 30k in India, so out of question. My lil bit of research on Klipsch:

Pros:

-Dedicated drivers for mids and high

-Bass is tighter than logitech

-Look kewl

Some of the Promedia Ultra 5.1 Cons:

- No digital inputs

- No wireless remotes

- Prone to dieing in a few years

- Lack of a distributor network as extensive as logitech in India

- Costly and way over priced in India

Finally I am going for Logies, simply caz this is the world I live in, its India. Everything is overpriced and buying Promedia Ultra is not even a choice in my budget. Thank you all for your responses.

Ok finally bought the Logitech Z5500 for 22.5k. Here are my initial impressions:

1) The Dolby and DTS decoder only work with Co-Axial or Optical connection. I dont have a high quality co-ax cable so currently using my Soundcards analog connection

2) The speakers are loud!!! I have just maxed the volume but havent used voice boost feature. Boost has 10 levels

3) The bass is quite boomy, literally earth shaking, like an earthquake coming, but it doesn't punch as much ( Not tight)

4) The movies sound better than most theaters I have been in, the sound effects are awesome. I think the speakers are meant for gaming and movies. Takes a lil high volume to get the best out of them. They are not shrill, and dont crack AT ALL at high volume.

I guess this is the breakin period, they can only get better. Now need some HQ co-ax cable and frigging DVDs. One question though, where do I tell Audigy 4 not to decode Dolby so that Logies can decode this....

Dont want to open a new thread for this but have been doing a lot of reading on how to enable the inbuild decoder for Dolby and DTS for Z5500. This is what I found so far:

1) Works with Co-Axial and optical cable with resistance of 75ohms (ok done)

2) I connect co-ax cable to my soundcard using a stereo to RCA adapter and select Spdif passthrough, so that the sound card doesnt do any decoding.

Everything works.... but my question is, if passthrough is all that soundcard does, than wont this mean that my Audigy 4 becomes meaningless entity? Is the onboard decoder of Audigy 4 better than the logies inbuilt decoder?

Back