Best TWS for calls?

roadrash99

Disciple
My current (old) bluetooth earbuds last just for an hour now, so I need new ones. I only use these to take them to the office so my only two requirements are:

1. Should be small enough to throw in my pockets, bonus if it can fit in a jeans coin pocket.
2. Should be good for calls. I never want to hear people complain about my audio.

I'm assuming #1 rules out all neckbands but if there are any that do satisfy it then I don't mind them. My current buds are https://www.amazon.in/Headphones-Tribit-Waterproof-Connection-Cancelling/dp/B075S9DVWJ

I'd like cheaper options because this is the sole purpose they will be used for, and TWS are pretty short life products with the non-replaceable battery. But can't compromise on #2.

Well how good is that tribit for calls?
On windows it seems to use that low quality codec that's horrible. On android the audio is fine but I often had to hold the mic thing right next to my lips because someone said it wasn't loud enough.
It was bought in 2017 for music, and I had to use it for calls only recently, so it served its purpose long enough. Unfortunately it's discontinued and that kind of form factor is also not liked now it seems.

I like the samsung buds live because they're very comfortable. They don't isolate though meaning you can hear surrounding noise.

That's for new. Cheaper refurbs are available. This model is almost three years old now. Hasn't had a refresh.

TWS work for people who have medium to large ears. If you generally use the smallest size silicone tips then TWS are best avoided

Check out this reviewer for other options. He does mic tests exclusively.

Last edited:
Having used half a dozen TWS buds, including those costing 10k+, none have a mic that can be used in a professional setting. You need a fully sealed room with noise isolation to get anywhere close to wired mic performance. Even 1-1.5k USB-C earphones have better sounding mics.

If it is for casual conversation, then TWS buds are still acceptable. Most online tests simply fail to reflect the ambient noise in Indian conditions.

Even 1-1.5k USB-C earphones have better sounding mics.
Any recommendations? I'm open to those as well as they can fit in a little pouch in my pocket.

Also I have Rs 2000 headphonezone coupon that is lying unused for 2 years now, so would be great if I can use it there.

Last edited:
1. Should be small enough to throw in my pockets, bonus if it can fit in a jeans coin pocket.

I'm assuming #1 rules out all neckbands but if there are any that do satisfy it then I don't mind them.
I don't understand. Why this requirement with neckbands? They are supposed to be conveniently hanging in your neck so you can use/not use whenever.

They're best for calling all day because of high battery backup than a TWS.

Any recommendations? I'm open to those as well as they can fit in a little pouch in my pocket.

Also I have Rs 2000 headphonezone coupon that is lying unused for 2 years now, so would be great if I can use it there.
From a mic perspective, I have seen EarFun Air Pro 3 being recommended because of the stem design. I think it uses the standard Qualcomm BT 5.3 chipset so does well in terms of mic, connectivity and ANC but the DAC itself is probably not that great.
I don't understand. Why this requirement with neckbands? They are supposed to be conveniently hanging in your neck so you can use/not use whenever.

I used to find neckbands inconvenient when travelling or walking around wearing T-shirts as they would bounce around and run against the skin. Otherwise they were fine within a room or when wearing formals.

From a mic perspective, I have seen EarFun Air Pro 3 being recommended because of the stem design. I think it uses the standard Qualcomm BT 5.3 chipset so does well in terms of mic, connectivity and ANC but the DAC itself is probably not that great.
sry I was asking about this part
Even 1-1.5k USB-C earphones have better sounding mics.

I don't want to wear them all the way to office. I just have to use them for 1-2 hours a day max. Rest of the time they will stay in my pocket.

Last edited:
sry I was asking about this part

I don't want to wear them all the way to office. I just have to use them for 1-2 hours a day max. Rest of the time they will stay in my pocket.
I use my Samsung AKG IC100 Type C for work calls without complaints. My Sony XM4 were unusable for the same.

Otherwise, full-fledged headphones with or without the boom mic work well, but that is of course not that portable.

I used to find neckbands inconvenient when travelling or walking around wearing T-shirts as they would bounce around and run against the skin. Otherwise they were fine within a room or when wearing formals.
I usually wear T-shirts with collar and pocket so neckband is kinda tucked-in.

@roadrash99 Okay 1-2 hrs then battery is not a concern for you so neckbands can be taken out of the choices just based on that.

Having used half a dozen TWS buds, including those costing 10k+, none have a mic that can be used in a professional setting. You need a fully sealed room with noise isolation to get anywhere close to wired mic performance. Even 1-1.5k USB-C earphones have better sounding mics.
Wireless can do a great job. I have a Jabra evolve 75 i got for $35 off us eBay and evolve 75e that i got for $32 off newegg as refurb that can take calls right in front of a speaker blasting a rajnikant movie intro sequence and still have you clearly audible (true story. I was in a sleeper bus and had to join a work call)

But yeah might be hard to get below 10k in India unless you stalk olx diligently

I would suggest QCY T13, been using them for meetings and calls, never had any issues being heard.

iirc it has 2 mics per ear bud, and good enc for a clearer voice

If it is purely for calls, I would recommend a mono-set such as:
* Jabra talk 65
* Plantronics Voyager 5200

I had Plantronics and I could attend all calls comfortably even when my neighbour drilled a borewell. The other side had a crystal clear audio and I am very impressed with that. However, it fell down from my hand recently and mic stopped working. There are no options to get it repaired in Bangalore.

What's the difference with the pro variant? Costs more than regular buds air 5

Mic sounds quite average and the pro isn't any better here going by some comparison videos. As he says the mic volume is low. Compare with the buds live above and his voice is definitely louder

Irritating when companies release similar specs products and the 'pro' comes out few months, after people bought the regular one.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments guys, I almost bought the Galaxy Buds FE but pulled out as I wasn't sure it was going to be any better than my existing earphones. Going to just wait for a while and see if a better form of product emerges.

Back