Better Prices than JJmehta

friedclyde said:
the nikon D50 does not have a mirror lock up.....which affects image stabilization

Image stabilization would come into picture only when you are using the tele end of the zoom. Believe me, unless you are really into bird photography, you would end up shooting more wide angled shots than tele. Also, there are IS tele lenses available if you are that serious about tele photography, but of course they would be costly.

friedclyde said:
i think the DSLR's are not too good when its value for money as the freaking lens are are unaffordable
Theres a reason for that, its because DSLRs is the way to go when you do serious photography. The sensors is what defines the picture quality and you would be very happy with even the basic kit lens (if price is an issue) to begin with.
friedclyde said:
the sony h2 has a 400mm lens getting that for a dslr will be approx 20k just for the lens

As i said earlier, you wouldnt shoot a lot of scenes with a tele. I personally too have a Canon S2IS, but within 2 months of using it, I am craving desperately for a DSLR. Do not be under the impression that you are going to shoot most of the pics at 400 mm ...most probably they will be at less than 100 mm !!

^Curious, why are you craving a DSLR? More lenses? Better performance at >ISO 400? Less red-eye?

*Shrug*. Me happy with the S2IS, learning a lot with it. WIll probably spring for a DSLR in 2008..

@ Kalpesh I shoot a lot of nature and have taken a lot of pictures @ 300 - 400 mm thats the reson y i chose to buy this camera

the reson y i want this is because im not really going to be doing high end photography its more of a hobby with this camera will serve my purposes i feel many people say go in for a DSLR but it will definetly be an expensive issue cause i need a good tele lens

i mostly will be using it to practice my photography, i do not know if you have seen any of it....

i would love to get a dslr but not at this point in my life.....when i have the money and need to rework on my skills i will go ahead and purchase one...........as for me i think if you have a good eye, you can get fantastic results from decent cameras.

so thats what i strive to do! cheers!

like I said the price in grey is 18K, do your math... for the S3IS

hey apollyon - do you know if the fz7 is available in grey, i was looking for it, but they say its not in stock & dont know when it'll come... looks like the popular brand canon is shadowing the better cam...

^^naa dunno abt grey market availbility here, my frnd got it from us for $300 odd..
jjmehta has it for 25k with 1gig card n 3yrs panasonic warranty, worth the price imho

appo the fz7 @80 iso hase noise in images and at 200 its seems to have unacceptable noise, pushing the iso futher means really bad image quality

"Unfortunately, no matter how good the camera we can't let the noise issue pass; like the LX1 reviewed late last year the FZ7 exhibits an unacceptable level of noise at all ISO settings, most especially at ISO 200+. For this reason - and this reason alone - the FZ7 misses out on a Highly Recommended; let's hope Panasonic has a better sensor up its sleeve for the next generation of this otherwise superb camera. As for you - have a look at the samples gallery and decide for yourself if the noise in real-world shots is acceptable; I'd happily buy the FZ7 myself, but I wouldn't use it at over ISO 100."

this is taken from here Panasonic DMC-FZ7 Review: 14. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

I use dp review to compare cameras side by side........this review is old....have they made any changes in the new cameras in the same model if so apo do u have a link to a new review?

ahh many sites many reviews, but search for photos on the net by both the d.cams... fz7 definately has the better lens of the 2...imho...

take a sd card - go to a shop click few snaps on both & then decide...

TechHead said:
^Curious, why are you craving a DSLR? More lenses? Better performance at >ISO 400? Less red-eye?

*Shrug*. Me happy with the S2IS, learning a lot with it. WIll probably spring for a DSLR in 2008..

More dynamic range, better performance in low light, higher DOF, manual focusing (try doing that with the S2), more manual controls, the list goes on. I too have a S2 and am loving it, but DSLR is something i would love more :)

friedclyde said:
@ Kalpesh I shoot a lot of nature and have taken a lot of pictures @ 300 - 400 mm thats the reason y i chose to buy this camera

the reson y i want this is because im not really going to be doing high end photography its more of a hobby with this camera will serve my purposes i feel many people say go in for a DSLR but it will definetly be an expensive issue cause i need a good tele lens

i mostly will be using it to practice my photography, i do not know if you have seen any of it....

i would love to get a dslr but not at this point in my life.....when i have the money and need to rework on my skills i will go ahead and purchase one...........as for me i think if you have a good eye, you can get fantastic results from decent cameras.

so thats what i strive to do! cheers!

Absolutely agree with you. i have a camera for similar reasons as yours. I too shoot at 300-400 but for the time being i use a s/w to remove the noise if its noticeable. All the best for whichever camera you opt for.

BTW: the canon has a swivel display screen which is definitely useful in a lot of situations. Also, if you want to upgrade your cam, there are pretty good options at lensmateonline.com for the S3.

Maybe I just like Canon better than Sony when it comes to optics.

Happy clicking :)

Even me lookin for an EOS 350D with a 17-85mm EF-S IS and a 50mm low light lens... however it seems to be available nowhere at a decent price :(. 400D in its current firmware has borked autofocus with some better lenses so beware :p. Nikon D80 is already out btw and the kit lens in it for arnd 250$ is awesome. The body itself is more expensive than the canons though.

Edit: If anyone else is planning to get the 350D, avoid the 18-55 kit lens. Its complete bull.... load of crap.

Hi Anish since my plan is delayed i called up and found out.........the EOS 350 D with the basic lens kit is 33K (this does not include a memory card)

my camera is little delayed im sending my cousin in canda some money as hes coming down to get me some shit......i will be posting a thread on that to ask you for suggestions.

I just confirmed with Mafsee Camera's, 33k for EOS 350 D with default lens ... said he'll confirm the price without the default lens later, and 18k for the S2 IS and 20.5k for S3, ofcourse these are just over the phone prices.

Back