Car & Bike Bike Under 80K For A Newbie

Height not an issue with apache.. height problem i was relating with the fz and fazer... but apache engines were giving problems for most people thats why i dint wanna recommend it

oh! i thought you were talking about height issue with apache..

BTW i didn't have any issues till now...2 years,only 7000 km done
<
....not the right person to ask

Even i have the same dilemma as sukant. Am planning to buy my first bike in March or before.Will be getting my license in 2-3 weeks.But still not confident about geared two-wheelers. Planning to learn it by March.

Am inclined towards Apache 160 or 180 rtr coz it fits in the 80k budget and have read reviews of it being a good bike as far as mileage and comfort goes. I would also be a rough handler of the bike and am sure Apache's are meant for that.Correct me if am wrong.

I would prefer the self test-drive method of coming to conclusions.But i would like suggestions from my fellow TE guys about other options.

What is different for beginners if Unicorn is named as beginners bike??? IMO, its the same, even if he buys unicorn or apache rtr. Ideally beginner should start with a 100 to 125cc bike, but unicorn is 150cc and its not a beginners bike. It can well touch 110kph without hiccups.

In our country, middle class people cannot buy a bike after every two years. Taking a beginners bike now, and then switching to enthusiast bike is lame. Its my thinking. But if safety is considered then Yes, a 100cc or 125cc is must for a beginner.

@Arv90: If you are really interested in Apache rtr 180, then get it eyes closed. You will learn on either vehicle. Unicorn is also one of the best bikes out there, but looks wise I would prefer Apache, but its let down by service. In Metropolitan city, you wont have any such issues. Drive safe

Apache is indeed a good bike. Engine is quite strong too.

Next is tried and tested Pulsar 180. you can't go wrong with this one.

Unicorn is definitely an overall good bike, lacks the character. No fun at all.

Hero CBZ-X is bit better, due to different engine mapping.

FZ series is more of a poser, with all those fake curves ( ie plastic) and wide tyre.

low <acronym title='FunEnclave'>FE</acronym>, lower top speed than Apache 160 and a bit more expensive spares.

if you have the money, IMHO here's what you should do

buy used, but well maintained, HH splendor or passion for say 20000/-.

learn to ride it, get the confidence and sell it for 18000/- after 4 months.

then go for a proper bike , say A180 or P180, or even P220.

you will appreciate and respect the highr BHPs of these bikes.

What is different for beginners if Unicorn is named as beginners bike??? IMO, its the same, even if he buys unicorn or apache rtr. Ideally beginner should start with a 100 to 125cc bike, but unicorn is 150cc and its not a beginners bike. It can well touch 110kph without hiccups.
Its friggin nimble dude, a newbie will notice that for sure.

#chiragskthakur

Does 25 CC make that big a difference that it makes it unsafe to ride over a 125 cc for a begineer ?

^^ The top whack varies considerably (only in case of normal bikes)...Mostly according to tradition if you see, then 125cc bikes have lower HP than 150cc bikes. On the other hand tweaked/tunned bikes like R15 are designed to get more out of 150cc, same is done with a duke 125cc....

Anyways 17bhp is by no means much for a beginner, as such in India we can say bike till Pulsar 200 are also beginners bikes... But considering that its India, its unfair to call bikes like unicorn,pulsar,Fz,fazer,apache etc as beginners bikes, pulsar 135, twister,stunner, passion, splendor, slingshot etc can be termed as beginners bikes for India ... Its just my opinion, may differ.

Well I learnt driving bike on my brand new Fazer. Fazer/FZ are very balanced bike, fun to ride and easy to control. I went with Fazer as seating position was better than FZ as former has raised handle bar. Also maintenance cost is negligible for Fazer/FZ and build quality is solid. My flatmate purchased Pulsar 135 one month after me and now the performance of his bike has went down. Ride is not smooth, grunts a lot and rear breaks don't work. So I will suggest stay away from Pulsar. Go for any Honda or Yamaha bike.

I own a FZ16 - and I would recommend it to anyone (except those who's main concern is fuel efficiency).

And its the same thing many of friends said riding my bike (who own different bikes).

Next I like Apache. I rode Apache160 - my roomie got one. It got more power than FZ16. But if you are not doing 100+, its doesn't matter much - as FZ got superb pick up too.

I won't recomment any pulsar (I rode 150 extensively and 180 few times) - the handling is kinda not smooth. Specially the gear shifting.

Its really tough to bring it to neutral.
<
and the gear shaft/lever moves very little during gear change - I couldn't feel if its really changed or not.

(personal experience - based on two bikes. may vary with others.)

Hero bikes (Hunk, CBZ extreme) got smooth engines and so does Unicorn - but got 'looks' issue.
<

Finally i got my fazer today , midnight black color
<
, thanks to each and everyone who helped me out here to decide my bike.

Great, Lucky man you got the Midnight Edition, its really awesome & so is the Ride Quality, Enjoy, Drive Safe & make sure you dont poke the mirrors of the bike into others
<

Back