Bosch Washing Machine Drum Replacement

Which brand machine was this. Bosch ?

The issue is the bearing seals failed. And that happens if there is too much foam generated in the wash. It surprises me it would happen in just 5 years.

This is the main reason to stick to detergents formulated for front loaders. They cost a little more than others but they end up protecting your machine in the long run.

Which powder or detergents were you using ? link to them if you can
Yeah, it is a Bosch. May be the build is different in different machines but in mine the drum is suspended from 4 dampers which do all the load bearing, so it was easy to replace. The issue mainly arises because the machine is not always level and frankly it is difficult to check this frequently.

Throughout its life, switched from using front load detergents, to liquid detergents and now I use the pods. It is always between Surf Excel / Ariel / Tide in terms of brands though I did try 3-4 other brands at some point of time including the liquid detergent from Bosch which was unnecessarily expensive.

The issue mainly arises because the machine is not always level and frankly it is difficult to check this frequently.
If its level to begin with it will not move. I've not made any changes to my machine since the machine was installed over 6 years ago. I used a 2 foot spirit level which i bought specifically for this purpose and that was a learning experience of its own. The machine came with a couple of non-slip pads to stick on the front two legs which i've not used. The machine is on a tiled floor. The nuts on the legs i realised later were not even tightened.

No checking is necessary after you level it.
Throughout its life, switched from using front load detergents, to liquid detergents and now I use the pods. It is always between Surf Excel / Ariel / Tide in terms of brands though I did try 3-4 other brands at some point of time including the liquid detergent from Bosch which was unnecessarily expensive.
I was asking the OP that question.

Can't understand how bearing seals can fail within 5 years unless lots of foaming occurred which will happen with cheaper detergents not formulated for a front loader. Even then its not so easy for foaming to occur because with clothes in the machine the foaming is reduced to a great extent.

Last edited:
I have same problem, drum damaged of my Bosch washing machine Just 2yrs and one week, they are telling 14k to repair and technicians telling that Bosch washing machine drum avarage life time 3 tor yrs..

I have same problem, drum damaged of my Bosch washing machine Just 2yrs and one week, they are telling 14k to repair and technicians telling that Bosch washing machine drum avarage life time 3 tor yrs..
Could you elaborate further on what you mean by drum damaged?

what parts do they give you for 14k

OP's problem was bearings after five years. So how is it your machine died in just two years??

Off topic side note for those using liquid detergents. Some brands can be quite allergic.
So, either use lower quantity or avoid if causing allergic reactions to you or family members.

Off topic side note for those using liquid detergents. Some brands can be quite allergic. So, either use lower quantity or avoid if causing allergic reactions to you or family members.
There should not be detergent left on the clothes after the cycle is over. Too much detergent may not wash out in the default two rinse cycles. So using less helps.

The thing that people forget about liquids is yes, they dissolve easier in lower temperature water but they can also be harder to rinse out in that same lower temperature water too. We don't yet have liquid detergent concentrates in India otherwise this problem would be worse.

One way to counter detergent residue is to use 20% citric acid with water as a fabric conditioner. Mix that up in a bottle. As it's a concentrate you only need 10ml in the fabric conditioner compartment. Try double that if it helps. That will help neutralise any detergent residue.

As for allergic reactions, maybe get a skin test done. The odds of the detergent itself causing it are very low. Or check if any other additives are added to the wash. Those can also be responsible. Some people find the fragrance makes them allergic.

Last edited:
All detergents are allergic to all. They cause rashes.
This happens if the detergent has more washing soda content. (sodium carbonate which has a high ph of 11). This soda also acts as a water softener.
If a default rinse cycle doesn't remove all detergent then add one more rinse cycle.
The question is why is the detergent residue there? if the clothes are stained you would need more detergent. Same if the water is hard.

Using less detergent in these situations isn't an option. Softening water if it's too hard will entail less use of detergent for the same result.

Another reason for detergent not washing out is the water isn't warm enough. If you have stains and hard water and no warm water then the problem gets aggravated further.

It will need more rinsing for sure. But warmer rinses if they are possible would remove more.

I see people opting for bio-free detergents. These are detergents without enzymes. For some reason this is a big thing in the UK but not really elsewhere in the world.

Enzymes help to remove a certain class of stains. Doing without them means washing with warm water becomes necessary.

On the subject of detergent, I found an interesting one called Crux on Amazon. It was being offered by a seller that also sells washer & fridge spare parts. If this washer repair seller thinks this is worth looking at then maybe I will give it a try. Things to note...

- they offer separate variants for front and top loading. Separate formulations depending on the washer used is a good thing. They also offer variants for Whites & Baby clothes.

- to my surprise, they list the ingredients on the box. Looking at the list this is a bio-free detergent with no enzymes. It will need to compensate for that and looks like they have a good amount of ingredients in there to deal with it. This looks like a proper detergent and not some gimmick.

- this is a concentrated powder in that it contains no filler. Pure detergent or 'cream' as they call it. So you need less for the same result. The claim of 10-15gm instead of 90gm sounds like they are comparing with standard top loader dosing for heavy soil. Examining their dosing instructions for a top loader variant they say to use 40gms not 10-15gm. So two thirds the standard dose which is 60gm. And for front loader it is 20gm which is a third of regular dosing for a front loader is 60gm.

- No optical brightness so how clean should be apparent.

- lack of phosphates means this won't clean well in hard water. If you don't have hard water then fine. Also, the claim of phosphates in regular detergents isn't entirely true as over the years detergent manufacturers have moved away from phosphates in their formulations. More phosphates generally mean a better clean but environmental concerns have changed that.

- ph neutral makes me wonder how it cleans at all. As you need a higher ph to go after dirt which is acidic in nature. Whatever, the people who formulated this thing must know their stuff. If it's neutral ph, it won't harm the machine.

- I'd have preferred fragrance free as there is no better way to tell clothes are clean without any fragrance masking things.

- the price is slightly more than premium matic Surf from HUL. I suppose they don't sell enough to discount more. Rs.250 for half a kilo of their front/top load detergent compared to a kilo of front /top load surf matic for less than that if you buy the 4kg or 6kg packs. The same price applies with their top load detergent but they give you 700gms. Since the recommended dosing is twice as much for front load the top load detergent works out more expensive. You'd get 25 washes from their box of front load powder vs. 17 with their top load poweder.

- I can't find any reviews for this product online. This company has no budget for advertising preferring to go the word-of-mouth route. They might have been founded in 1999, but the Facebook posts for the top & front load detergent only show up a year ago.

Don't see too much advantage with a top loader but a front loader allows to half detergent used.

Attachments

• crux.png
    crux.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 96
  • good or bad.jpg
    good or bad.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 82
  • fluorescent.jpg
    fluorescent.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 77
  • catalog.jpg
    catalog.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 95
So the Crux detergent arrived and the first thing to come to terms with is its form. When they said cream they weren't kidding. It's like chappati dough :oops:

Going by the box I was expecting powder so this did take me aback for a few moments. There is no indication of this anywhere. You don't see any photos of it and there are zero videos. There is a WTH is this moment the first time

Put a spoon (they include one in the box) of it in the detergent drawer. It is sticky and does not flow so push it out of the spoon with my fingers into the drawer. It did not wash down. Had to pour some water in the drawer to get it to shift. It does dissolve eventually.

Seems to wash the clothes ok, with no enzymes so stains aren't lifted as well. Has a pleasant sandalwood scent.

I will try putting a dollop of it directly in the drum for the next wash instead of the detergent drawer.

Attachments

• Crux Packet.jpg
    Crux Packet.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Crux cream.jpg
    Crux cream.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
So the Crux detergent arrived and the first thing to come to terms with is its form. When they said cream they weren't kidding. It's like chappati dough :oops:

Going by the box I was expecting powder so this did take me aback for a few moments. There is no indication of this anywhere. You don't see any photos of it and there are zero videos. There is a WTH is this moment the first time

Put a spoon (they include one in the box) of it in the detergent drawer. It is sticky and does not flow so push it out of the spoon with my fingers into the drawer. It did not wash down. Had to pour some water in the drawer to get it to shift. It does dissolve eventually.

Seems to wash the clothes ok, with no enzymes so stains aren't lifted as well. Has a pleasant sandalwood scent.

I will try putting a dollop of it directly in the drum for the next wash instead of the detergent drawer.
Is it an April fool's joke?

I know. I am thinking that this product is an April fool's joke. This method is probably the worst medium of delivery for a detergent.
That's what they use in the garment industry apparently. I was looking for a similar product elsewhere and found one from S.Africa called Ohsobright.

Started by a chemist who retired from Unilver and started her own thing

• Another important yet highly unknown factor: The chemical called Phthalates.
    • It's found in most of the plastics, cosmetics, fertilizers etc. It's everywhere. It could even be food grade plastic, IDK. It's one of those bad plastic ingredient that no one yet talks about because no one knows. It's a hormone blocker. It's anti testosterone and estrogen. It makes your capital-D into small-d. Although adverse effects are temporary for adults, but if they reproduce, the next 2 generations may have adverse effects (I really don't mean to offend anyone). Plastic plumbing is everywhere these days. I did some research and PVC pipes have it while uPVC don't. Some people use cPVC for drinking water but I couldn't make sure if it carries phthalates or not. Somebody working in chemical industry please let us know. Edit: cPVC do contain phthalates. Just found out.
Since you brought it up might as well discuss it. People like their clothes to smell better and resort to fabric conditioners to perfume their laundry with attendant downsides.

SO, why not use scent beads?

they are put in the drum at the beginning and you run the wash as normal. And the clothes come out smelling more scented than from usual detergent.

If you have a dryer then the scent gets boosted 50% more. But if you line dry the effect is more muted.

For the purposes of scent, scent beads are safer (for the machine) than fabric softeners. Came out in the US over five years back but has only recently started to become available globally.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07QM9TD8Y/
managed to snag one for Rs.383 before it went OOS

https://www.amazon.in/Laundry-Fragrance-Booster-Scent-Beads/dp/B07WHDFZH7/
Local equivalents.

Scent beads work out more pricey per wash than fabric conditioner. I use around 20gm per load and not a full cap. Now and then.

How safe are they to use? No internal consumption here. Only skin contact. Some overuse and reviews on amazon US of people with allergic reactions.

I can hardly smell the scent when I wear the clothes but if you rub the dry fabric with itself it does give off the scent which is pleasant. For bedsheets or quilts put into storage.

Scent beads are by no means necessary but optional extras. A novelty I wanted to check out.

Last edited:
How safe are they to use? No internal consumption here. Only skin contact. Some overuse and reviews on amazon US of people with allergic reactions.

I can hardly smell the scent when I wear the clothes but if you rub the dry fabric with itself it does give off the scent which is pleasant. For bedsheets or quilts put into storage.
Phthalates can be absorbed through skin rather they are famous for it. Still, I don't think we can get them through dry clothes.

I didn't know such product even existed. Cool.

Last edited:
Phthalates can be absorbed through skin rather they are famous for it. Still, I don't think we can get them through dry clothes.
Right
I didn't know such product even existed. Cool.
Got the idea from here and wanted to check it out. He's got a dryer so the mere act of passing nearby gives off a scent.

I was in two minds about whether to mention it here because there is a potential to abuse it. Don't let kids play with knives and all that.

If your clothes smell then you should address the cause not treat the symptom

Yes indeed. Sun drying will kill most of the stinky bacterias.
My clothes don't get that half of the year.

The beads will also mask any smell in the machine. The fragrance lingers in the machine and takes like five washes to completely go away. So you can see how it can lead to issues with clothes and the machine if one isn't aware. The only saving grace here is the price, most won't consider it worth it.

After I ordered some of the beads the owner of Volt called me and offered me a sample of a new product they were launching.

An enzyme-based, fragrance free powder detergent. There are no fragrance free detergents on the market that I know of so was enthusiastic

He reasons the perfume of existing detergents and that of his beads won't clash. Fair.

I see fragrance free as clean equals no smell whether in the machine or clothes.

While discussing this I learnt that powders are likely to remain relevant for longer in Asia, unlike the west. As liquid detergents have a higher upfront manufacturing cost than powder. Also, the ambient temperature is much warmer here so dissolving is easier.

That is great news indeed :)

Back