BSNL Fiber router query

BSNL have all FTTH work outsourced(like installation, maintenance). But customer support is through regular BSNL channel. Sorry, I don't recollect exact amount, but its about 2K INR, which I paid as security deposit.
Deposit payment was made to installation guys or it came in the bsnl bill?

Got the BSNL FTTH activated at home today. As someone mentioned, I had to fork out Rs.5000 for installation and first month advance (2500 for netlink ONT + 1500 for installation + 999 for first month plan advance). The ONT provided was a netlink one (Netlink HG323RGW) which comes with two lan ports and wifi.
Had opted for Rs.999 plan, which is supposed to provide 200mbps speeds up to 3.3TB data limit.
Over LAN connection, I was getting around 98 Mbps speeds. However, the same dropped to around 20Mbps when connected over Wifi.
Are these speeds a limitation of the ONT device? Is there any way I can improve these speeds, especially over Wifi?

Got the BSNL FTTH activated at home today. As someone mentioned, I had to fork out Rs.5000 for installation and first month advance (2500 for netlink ONT + 1500 for installation + 999 for first month plan advance). The ONT provided was a netlink one (Netlink HG323RGW) which comes with two lan ports and wifi.
Had opted for Rs.999 plan, which is supposed to provide 200mbps speeds up to 3.3TB data limit.
Over LAN connection, I was getting around 98 Mbps speeds. However, the same dropped to around 20Mbps when connected over Wifi.
Are these speeds a limitation of the ONT device? Is there any way I can improve these speeds, especially over Wifi?
you are limited by the wifi router device plus on which band you have your wifi 2.4ghz or 5 ghz ?

you are limited by the wifi router device plus on which band you have your wifi 2.4ghz or 5 ghz ?
The ONT device supports only 2.4ghz. Would it make sense to buy a router like Archer C6 and use it for wifi, instead of the wifi on the ONT device? I guess the Wifi can be disabled in it.

yes deifnitely . IDk you could even check whether AX series wifi 6E routers are available in india ,6e would be difficult but tplink ax1500 could do the trick , i would recommend AX3000 model but that would on higer side

Last edited:
Wifi6 might be overkill as many of the existing devices might not support wifi6.
Also wifi6 routers are on the high end.

Wifi6 might be overkill as many of the existing devices might not support wifi6.
Also wifi6 routers are on the high end.
industry is very keen/eager to jump onto wifi 6 /6e it is truly breath taking ,the next phone which we might buy would have AX & 5 g standard i mean next gen QUALCOMM chips might start to support Ax from maybe midrange chips ,as intel has flooded mother board market with intel AX 201 and even AX210 chips readily available on aliexpress.

True, my statement was based on the assumption that people are not planning to upgrade existing hardware after getting wifi6 :)

True, my statement was based on the assumption that people are not planning to upgrade existing hardware after getting wifi6 :)
most of the devices might include cellphone, laptops etc ,which might get replaced every 2 or may be 3 years ,so it would be wiser to get a better router as the router only gets replaced when woh kharab hota hai :p

Last edited:
BTW, is getting only around 100Mbps on a 200Mbps plan normal with BSNL FTTH? If I downgrade to a 100Mbps plan, would I still get the same speed? I was expecting at least 75% of the advertised speed limits.

No, that's a 50% drop in the speeds you paid for. 80% in lan would be acceptable as this is what Jio claims, so your speeds should be somewhere near 150-160 Mbps. What are the optical parameters? Can you post it here so that others can also help you out? If the parameters are good then best is to
Try bridging with Archer A6/C6 using WDS or lan cable.
I have bridged my Nokia with C6 V3. I get around 125-128mbps on my 100 Mbps Airtel connection.

you could directly replace netlink maybe with Tp link gpon router ,but please check your gpon configs whther tplink would support it.

Archer XR500v

@Tejas01 @burntwingzZz

Connection StatusRegistered, not authenticated.
MAC
FEC CapYes
FEC Upstream StatusDisabled
FEC Downstream StatusDisabled
Triple ChurningDisabled

Laser Device Info
Tx Power2.827583 dBm
Rx Power-19.136070 dBm
Temperature40.042969 C
Voltage3.386200 V
Bias Current15.600000 mA

This is what I see in the modem status page. Please interpret this for me.

Your parameters seems good to me. While speeds on wifi has lot of variables in it(you are on 2.4 ghz, that itselft is a bottleneck), you should be getting near to promised speeds atleast on lan.
So after going through the specs here, it seems the gpon has a gigabit port and one fast ethernet port. Since there is no clear demarcation as to which port is what. You will need to do trial and error if anything works.
1. you need to see if your ethernet port on pc is gigabit port(10/100/1000) or a fast ehternet port(10/100). If it's the latter then you won't get speeds above 100 mbps for any higher speed plan. End of story. Degrade your plan to 100 mbps one because the ethernet port on pc is the bottleneck.
2. If your pc has gigabit port, then you need to switch wire from one port to other on gpon to ensure that your cable is in gigbit port rather than fast ethernet port. If you are getting near promised speeds then you can think of Archer C6 to increase wifi coverage.
Perhaps @vishalrao can give more feedback as to what gpon he has been provided from bsnl as he is on 300 mbps plan.

Last edited:
Thank you for your detailed response. From what I read online, the Lan 2 port is the gigabit port. I will have to check the speeds using this port then. I don't remember which port was used for checking the speeds during installation.
My second issue probably is that none of my devices at home have an ethernet port. All should connect through wifi only.
I will try to get a friend's laptop to check speeds through the gigabit port, and then report here. ;)

Thank you for your detailed response. From what I read online, the Lan 2 port is the gigabit port. I will have to check the speeds using this port then. I don't remember which port was used for checking the speeds during installation.
My second issue probably is that none of my devices at home have an ethernet port. All should connect through wifi only.
I will try to get a friend's laptop to check speeds through the gigabit port, and then report here. ;)
un fortunately i am not well versed with BSNL services etc .Is this the plan that you have enrolled into ?

1620545934873.png

If yes than it clearly mentions that it is upto 200Mbps ,it doesn't absolutely say you will get 200Mbps always .It would depend on the area load and the capacity etc

How did you check the 100Mbps speed ?

Do note not all routers who claim to have a 1gbps lan /wan port actually deliver the speed .they manufacture them as per the standards/or specs defined but very few achieve 1gbps speed hence i gave you a suggestion to get a good router or go with a new GPON based ONT router with wi-fi.

And your concern about slow speed on wifi ,you would require 5 ghz band for better wifi speeds .But do note wifi basics ,the more devices you add and if all of them start communicating at the same time , the speed that you would get on wi-fi would be divided or less than normal.

Example would be like a telephonic conversation ,when you talk the other person is idle he just listens (wastes time) now scale that to meeting one guy talks and 30 others just sit idle that way the speed reduces.

In your scenario wherein all the devices are wifi ,you should invest in good wifi dual band router which could broadcast 2.4 ghz as well as 5 ghz band .Put all of your non moving wifi devices like a smart tv (if it permits) on 5ghz and far away objects on 2.4 ghz for zero drops.

How did you check the 100Mbps speed ?
Got a laptop from a friend to check the wired connection speeds immediately after installation was done. Got close to 98mbps. Not sure whether I checked through Lan 1 or lan 2 port.
I understand about speeds reducing when multiple devices are connected. But even when just one device was connected over wifi (my surface pro 6), I was getting around 30 mbps. Hence the query.
If yes than it clearly mentions that it is upto 200Mbps ,it doesn't absolutely say you will get 200Mbps always
Yeah. That's the plan I have subscribed to. Was expecting around 150mbps at least, through the wired connection. As mentioned above, I'll check again through the Lan 2 port and report back.
In your scenario wherein all the devices are wifi ,you should invest in good wifi dual band router which could broadcast 2.4 ghz as well as 5 ghz band .Put all of your non moving wifi devices like a smart tv (if it permits) on 5ghz and far away objects on 2.4 ghz for zero drops.
Will do that once I get hold of the router. Ordered an Archer C6, but it's still 5 days away from delivery.

Ordered an Archer C6, but it's still 5 days away from delivery.

Do ensure your friend's ethernet port is also a gigabit port, else it's no use since the speed will also be bottlenecked by his 10/100 port and show near to 100 mbps speeds.
This user here also had similar issue with 1 gig line speed and it was ultimately his 10/100 lan port on laptop which gave him only 100 mbps on 1 gig line.
Now that you have already ordered C6, and you know which port on Netlink is a giga port, it would be advisable to use C6 as a bridge and connect gig port on netlink to wan port on C6. Your wifi will give you more speeds(assuming your laptop has dual band wifi adapter)than through lan cable.

@logistopath yeah you should get 200+ mbps on speedtest over LAN cable, just check your computer and netlink device both support gigabit port speeds and the ethernet cable is at least Cat 5e rated which should be printed on the cable itself.

If you check your ethernet properties in the OS it should show link speed as 1 gigabit or 1000 mbits.

Another thing to check is the port configuration in the netlink web UI is also set to 1000 mbits or 1 gigabit, my optilink device has that option.

But since you mentioned most or all your devices are on wifi you should invest in a decent affordable dual band dedicated router like tplink that others recommend.

Btw yeah I have 300 mbps plan and I get 300 to 330 mbps on speedtest and few downloads and torrents but many other sites I get less than half the speed, so 200 mbps plan is ideal sweet spot for price to speed ratio.

I have put my optilink basic device which has single gigabit port and no WiFi, put it in bridge mode and was using a dual band netgear r8000 wifi-AC router and recently bought a used netgear Orbi mesh router from @superczar for better range and speed.

Back