OC & Modding Build Log : The ++Shad0wKnight++

The replacement front panel from my supplier just came in. Have I mentioned how much I digg the finishing on this!? [emoji171]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407490244.245243.jpg

Indeed! A switch is in the plans, before I finalize the build. However, I'm having a hard time finding a good stealthy one (or even something I can paint black) which would fit well at the back of the case. The case has two holes for a custom WC loop, one of which I can use, to hold the button in place. The search continues.

Ugh I'm in the same boat as you. Do let me know if you get any ideas wrt adding a switch to your LED setup. I'll look around a little bit myself too.

Update #9

So, as promised by Nils, I received the MD-PC sleeves in exactly 14 days. (German precision at work :fearscream::grin:).

As promised, a custom Easter bunny sketch for me. :sunglasses:

m_DSC1665.jpg

Also came with a spiffin' good set of stamps! (Not a collector or anything of those sorts, but damn, these a beautiful).

m_DSC1666.jpg

Sleeves in all their glory. Oh look! Some colored ones snuck themselves in there without Nils knowing :hearteyes:

m_DSC1667.jpg

Quick mention about quality: the OKGear ones shit themselves in front of the MD-PC ones. So do the Paracord ones. To be very honest, the quality of these is probably the best out there! No wonder everyone uses them. Absolutely worth the 14-day wait and excitement build up! (oh, Anxiety too :laughing:)

Nonetheless, since I get an extra 9-12m of sleeve, I was able to experiment a little today, and get things moving. Ohk, now before you bring out the critics, please do note, this is my very first time, sleeving any cables. Thus, the extra sleeves help in this case.

Here are the results.

m_DSC1668.jpeg

This is the GPU's power connector. As you can probably tell, I couldn't get the heat shrinks to line up properly, but that isn't a problem. I later figured out how to do it absolutely right! That said, the cables that come with the RM 750 have connectors which are slightly longer, so Lutr0's or Nils' tutorials on getting the heat-shrink on didn't quite work well for me. So I had to come up with my own. Now that I have a better understanding, and a good 2-3m from the extras left, I can experiment on another cable once more I suppose, before I go all out on the 24-pin cable.

Now just to compare the MD-PC ones with the (oh, hell NAW!) OKGear ones, here are some shots of the SATA cables I did.

m_DSC1654.jpg

m_DSC1656.jpg

Yep, that's some UV Red sleeving I got. They accidentally shipped that instead of the standard one. Huzzah! :grimacing: (Damn it! I still can't get those heat shrinks right, but these were done a week ago. I'll do a spiffin' job next time). The Red one goes to my OS SDD, while the black ones are for the storage and backup drives. I still need to do 2 more of these, before I can call it day on the SATA cables. However, now that I have the MD-PC ones, it should be more fun.

Tomorrow's a Sunday. These MD-PC sleeves couldn't have come at a better time. I'll be taking a shot at the 24-pin ones. The GPU's 8x2 took me approximately 2 hours to complete (wow, that's quite a lot now that I think of it). It probably took long due to how Corsair loops various wires to reduce manufacturing costs. But the 24-pin cables are fairly straight-forward. 1 cable per pin, however, the heads that go in to the PSU itself are split into 2, with various loops. So I'm planning to go with a wider sleeve from the PSU end unto 3/4th of the cable, and from there onwards, do single cable sleeves. I hope I can pull that one off with finesse. Wish me luck!

Looks awesome and great job with the sleeving :D
BEST OF LUCK .:p

Thanks guys.

#Update 10

I've been waiting to make this update since #3 :cool:

I finished sleeving the 24-pin cable on Sunday. Took me 4 hours from start to finish, and tidying up messy heat-shrinks. I also sleeved the custom (terrible looking) cables which are connected to the LED lights. In the process, I managed to create smoke after turning the system on. Lesson learnt: don't always rely on the damn electrical tape. Solder things when in doubt!

Anyhow, after all was good, I was able to grab these shots.

m_DSC1671.jpg

m_DSC1673.jpg

m_DSC1675.jpg

m_DSC1684.jpg

m_DSC1683.jpg

And now pending at the 8-pin MoBo cable, and the Fan cables. But I suppose I'm mostly done with the build for now. Next up will be the 8XX series GPUs from Nvidia so I can go for an SLI build as well as a custom WC. Thanks for entertaining my non-sense and some awesome build shots for so long. :cool:

With :hearteyes:, D3Z!

Am gonna watch this thread. What bootloader are you using for OSX ? Chammy or Clover EFI? Would like to know. Am gonna build one soon for a Logicpro setup.
Also did you have to do an Applehda kext edit or did it just work?

Am gonna watch this thread. What bootloader are you using for OSX ? Chammy or Clover EFI? Would like to know. Am gonna build one soon for a Logicpro setup.
Also did you have to do an Applehda kext edit or did it just work?
Sorry for incredibly late reply. Was away for work. I'm using Chimera for now. Plan to migrate to Clover EFI. I'm using the 1150 patch from Multibeast to get the audio working (Confirmed for Yosemite and Mavericks). PM me if you have any questions. Cheers.

UPDATE #11

So glad to be back on this thread with updates. Before I begin, I'd like to thank toolius for helping me sort questions regarding my WC loops. Also to dovakhiin for clearing me doubts about ordering parts.

So, I'll keep the parts out of this post for now, since they haven't arrived yet (hell, they aren't even on the Indian soil yet, which probably explains my excitement). And also because the list has changed quite a bit.

But, some other stuff has arrived viz, some more fans and a hub to connect all the fans.

s_IMG_2077.jpg

I wish I could get some SP120s in there, since my experience with them has been super, but budget constraints for now. So i'll be upgrading these later on, until then, these'll fill in the role.

UPDATE #12

Since the last time I posted something substantial here (apart from Update #11), a couple of things were updated in the build.

1. Corsair K70 CherryMX Red and Razer Deathadder 3.0 Black edition.
15516298604_b33f88d647_z.jpg

2. The the GTX 970 Strix was added to power the massive Asus PB278Q
16394604715_26453dc833_z.jpg

Then, came the EKWB parts. Oh boy, what a rush that was. Took me 2 straight days to unbuild and rebuild the system. In all honesty, the 750D looks like shit without anything inside it. :laughing: (I suppose that's the case with any case :masked:)

Digg the new packaging. Absolutely gorgeous.
16207185960_eb72f6b2b1_z.jpg

15774551333_b4c2cafd5f_z.jpg

16392823141_b7d23e45d4_z.jpg

Shot when doing a trial run for the lights (still not setup, not entirely sure how I want to be. Managing highlights on these pipes is proving to be rather tricky)
16208648577_ec19c65ed4_z.jpg

16368625446_50a1f93882_z.jpg

Ah crap! I screwed up one of the red sleeves. Will probably redo this without the heat shrink this time round.
16394607125_95cec9c01f_z.jpg

16394533565_2bd5aee589_z.jpg

15772091444_96d5229f57_z.jpg

This one's just to mess with you. *excuse me* :p
16394555355_70cd51d4df_z.jpg

Finally, the beast powering it all (I'm a little worried about this guy now. It never seems to run it's massive fan. Maybe I'm not drawing enough power from it, which is a good thing).
16394610475_f387d3dea8_z.jpg

The results:
IDLE - Day time (noon):

Ambient Room: 30ºC
Ambient Case: 31ºC
CPU: 29-30ºC (varied between that range over a period of 5min)
GPU: 29-31ºC (varied between that range over a period of 15min)

IDLE - Night time
Ambient Room: 22ºC
Ambient Case: 21ºC
CPU: 24-26ºC (varied between that range over a period of 5min)
GPU: 28-30ºC (varied between that range over a period of 15min)

The load tests were done running DotA2, Tomb Raider (2013) and NSF Most Wanted (newer, and I know, this is a silly game to test with since it isn't demanding, but that's the only one I had installed at the time). The average temperature is posted.

LOAD - Day time (noon):
Ambient Room: 30ºC
Ambient Case: 33ºC
CPU: 34ºC (varied between that range over a period of 5min)
GPU: 34ºC (varied between that range over a period of 15min)

LOAD - Night time
Ambient Room: 22ºC
Ambient Case: 23ºC
CPU: 29ºC (varied between that range over a period of 5min)
GPU: 31ºC (varied between that range over a period of 15min)

So, you wonderful communists community folks, thank you for riding with me on this one. It's been some solid 6 months, and another 2 for planning this build out. I appreciate all your feedback, criticism and love.

This is the last update to this build log. Until next time. (Oh! And I'll make sure there's a next time ;) )

You're being too modest when you say D7000 :p . Anyhow, fantastic work. I really like how you built this up slowly, getting/importing the parts you targeted and made it into something really beautiful and worthwhile :)

You're being too modest when you say D7000 :p . Anyhow, fantastic work. I really like how you built this up slowly, getting/importing the parts you targeted and made it into something really beautiful and worthwhile :)
Thanks, man. Yeah, please account my bills for the anxiety meds too. :p

Back