OC & Modding Build Log : The ++Shad0wKnight++

any specific reason you say that??
im pretty happy with mine, and the same can be said about the h100 i had before this
well its noisy and the software is shit. I cant even get it detected most of the times. I hoped that the software would be something like asus's intelligent fan control. so for the price it is not worth.

well its noisy and the software is shit. I cant even get it detected most of the times. I hoped that the software would be something like asus's intelligent fan control. so for the price it is not worth.

well, the software is SHIT, agreed, but the things isin't noisy except the startup.
to get it to detect, check the registry hack. I had the same issue in the beginning, and it works fine now :)

WHUT! :p

Great job. Like where this is going, especially the cable management. You might want to completely hide those led strips though, they get annoying over time. Also, if possible throw in a switch so you can put them on/off whenever you feel like it.
Indeed! A switch is in the plans, before I finalize the build. However, I'm having a hard time finding a good stealthy one (or even something I can paint black) which would fit well at the back of the case. The case has two holes for a custom WC loop, one of which I can use, to hold the button in place. The search continues.

Corsair H100i must be the worst decision in the entire config. good build though :)
What makes you say that? Any better recommendations?

well, the software is SHIT, agreed, but the things isin't noisy except the startup.
to get it to detect, check the registry hack. I had the same issue in the beginning, and it works fine now :)
A simple firmware upgrade fixed it for me. :) Regarding the noise, it's pretty darn silent inside the 750D even on boot.

Regarding the software, I agree. But come on! How many times do you use it in a day? Me: only used it to change the color of the pump head. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1407228726][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why the locked processor :(
When broadwell chips release, I'll be getting the K variant. didn't make sense to invest money in a K one right now, when I'm going to be selling it within a year.

Last edited:
Regarding the software, I agree. But come on! How many times do you use it in a day? Me: only used it to change the color of the pump head. :p
I tried to update the firmware but it doesnt even show up in the device list. anyways, changing the color is not the correct usecase here. I hoped that I would do a realtime monitoring of the AX860i and the H100i and then the software would control the fan profiles automatically using that data. but at this point, the software is completely unusable. as if some rookie wrote it. in fact I liked the asus's fan control so much that I disconnected all the fans from the phantom's manual control and connected directly to the motherboard. and with a single click the software completely profiles the fans and controls them accordingly. I am surely disappointed with corsair in this regard. I paid the premium hoping that they would give me a complete and well tested product. My friend being in US returned the H100i within a week but I dont think I can do that here in oz. About the sound, you guys should really overclock the processor and then see. when I oc my cpu to 4.4ghz the noise is significant.

I tried to update the firmware but it doesnt even show up in the device list. anyways, changing the color is not the correct usecase here. I hoped that I would do a realtime monitoring of the AX860i and the H100i and then the software would control the fan profiles automatically using that data. but at this point, the software is completely unusable. as if some rookie wrote it. in fact I liked the asus's fan control so much that I disconnected all the fans from the phantom's manual control and connected directly to the motherboard. and with a single click the software completely profiles the fans and controls them accordingly. I am surely disappointed with corsair in this regard. I paid the premium hoping that they would give me a complete and well tested product. My friend being in US returned the H100i within a week but I dont think I can do that here in oz. About the sound, you guys should really overclock the processor and then see. when I oc my cpu to 4.4ghz the noise is significant.
You could probably open a thread on Corsair's forums. But TBH, I'm hoping to trace the USB commands it sends and receives, such that I can write a simple API for Link and then write two apps: one for Windows and another for OS X. Perhaps this weekend.

So an update on the 4690K end: my friend got tempted and upgraded his Nehalem last evening. Since he has more experiencing at OC'ing, I built things up, and booted in, and then he took over. He has this gigantic Air cooler for the CPU from Noctua I believe. It was all good till we were floating around the 4.0Ghz mark, and then everything just shuts down, and refuses to boot up.

After carefully examining each part, it turns out, the CPU short itself. We just sent it back this morning (I'm getting back from there), hoping we get a replacement.

So as it turns out, not going for a K variant is actually good.

PS: I just read Anand Tech's post about the state of CPUs. Pretty extensive article, but there is one chart that grabbed my attention: Power to Price.

As it turns out, they put the non-K variant above it's K-brother. Which makes sense now. But none of this is to say, I won't be getting a K later. That would be stupid of me, and I'm no fool. ;)

PPS: if anyone does manage to get that specific CPU above 4.2 safely, please do get in touch.

I was pretty unhappy with the H100i as well. Those fans are a lot noiser than the standard SP 120's. The software is shit like you guys have already said and hate having to waste a USB header for the link.

The NZXT Kraken X60 was maybe a good alternative but you'll be watercooling soon anyway so it's fine I guess.

I was pretty unhappy with the H100i as well. Those fans are a lot noiser than the standard SP 120's. The software is shit like you guys have already said and hate having to waste a USB header for the link.

The NZXT Kraken X60 was maybe a good alternative but you'll be watercooling soon anyway so it's fine I guess.
You're right. And for a non-K CPU, it didnt make much sense to go overboard with it. Might as well save that money for when I do.

You could probably open a thread on Corsair's forums. But TBH, I'm hoping to trace the USB commands it sends and receives, such that I can write a simple API for Link and then write two apps: one for Windows and another for OS X. Perhaps this weekend.

So an update on the 4690K end: my friend got tempted and upgraded his Nehalem last evening. Since he has more experiencing at OC'ing, I built things up, and booted in, and then he took over. He has this gigantic Air cooler for the CPU from Noctua I believe. It was all good till we were floating around the 4.0Ghz mark, and then everything just shuts down, and refuses to boot up.

After carefully examining each part, it turns out, the CPU short itself. We just sent it back this morning (I'm getting back from there), hoping we get a replacement.

So as it turns out, not going for a K variant is actually good.

Was the cpu seated in the socket properly, and or were there any bent pins in the socket. Ive seen this happen before when either of those two thing happened or when the cpu vcore was too high. Was was the cpu vcore you were are??

Update #8

A little box of happiness just arrived. First of the 3 international shipments.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407397499.847040.jpg

Pretty solid packaging. Expected nothing less from Amazon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407397483.613734.jpg

Everything is intact. No dents on the boxes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407397541.416844.jpg

Please bear with me as I just realized that my camera's battery is out. While that charges up a bit, I'll get these installed.

Update #8.2

Boy! This took a while to install. Made some rookie mistakes on the way with the damn screws. Finally figured things out. Another problem I ran into was, after removing the pump, I cleaned it off, and the CPU head, applied the Noctua NT-H1, booted up. Uh oh! Huston, we have a problem. Temperatures were at 56ºC. Definitely something wrong with how I applied the compound, as all fans were spinning. Remove, clean, reapply, back in. Booted up again, and this time, I'll let the screencaps do the talking.

First (left) is the before and Second (right) is the after. The first one has only two fans on the Rad both blowing air out. The second has 4 fans on the rad, all blowing air out. Temperatures at post-boot idle system.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Yeah, yeah I know. I should recharge them batteries.

Vanity shots, anyone? ;)

m_DSC1647.jpg

m_DSC1649.jpg

m_DSC1651.jpg

m_DSC1652.jpg

Now I patiently wait for the cable sleeves. That's going to be the most time consuming task of this entire build, but I cannot wait to get started on it. Until next time.[DOUBLEPOST=1407411742][/DOUBLEPOST]
Was the cpu seated in the socket properly, and or were there any bent pins in the socket. Ive seen this happen before when either of those two thing happened or when the cpu vcore was too high. Was was the cpu vcore you were are??
I can't be sure. The CPU was sent back the very morning before I posted here. Nonetheless, replacement arrives on Monday. This time, I'm going to make sure my friend is extra-careful. Intel "warned" him :p

Last edited:
Update #8
I can't be sure. The CPU was sent back the very morning before I posted here. Nonetheless, replacement arrives on Monday. This time, I'm going to make sure my friend is extra-careful. Intel "warned" him :p

Haha, "Warned him" :p
What exactly did they say?
did the chip have any burn marks on it? or any visible signs of damage?

if not, then they had no reason to warn him for any reason, unless you told them, in which case they were suppose to deny warranty out-right

Haha, "Warned him" :p
What exactly did they say?
did the chip have any burn marks on it? or any visible signs of damage?

if not, then they had no reason to warn him for any reason, unless you told them, in which case they were suppose to deny warranty out-right
They told him to be extra-careful the next time, or not even OC it. [emoji13]
I don't remember seeing any burn marks, but I do remember some bent pins. Also, the chip had become extremely hot. He's considering a wider case, so he can hook in that massive NZXT cooler.

They told him to be extra-careful the next time, or not even OC it. [emoji13]
I don't remember seeing any burn marks, but I do remember some bent pins. Also, the chip had become extremely hot. He's considering a wider case, so he can hook in that massive NZXT cooler.

told you about the bent pins :p

if it got really worm, you put a little too much vcore through it. keep that down and you should be okay to go :)

Back