Video Buying A Media Player :Getting Started

^^^
On it right now, am gonna run my 720p inglorious basterds print on mkv2vob and compare, if possi ill take screen shots too.. just to be sure, ill encode it in dvd9 and for 5.. still i assure you there will be a difference.
lemme check first, i generally use divx converter or zc converter to convert mkv to avi, and even at 2500 d difference is significant.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

OK result time...
First of all my humble apologies, i got confused between the mkv2avi and mkv2vob. Downloaded mkv2vob and ran it. Results..

Techhead is right, there is absolutely no difference in quality, BUT something new did come up.

The mpeg, avi or vob output file uses the same resolution(1280x***) as output which i couldnt change or atleast if there is a way to change, i couldnt quiet figure out how. That creates a prob for op here. I tested the vob and avi files on my pioneer 410. The vob obviously did not play cause it doesnt support vob whilst avi did not play cause the resolution was not supported.. DVD player only supports 720x*** max..

But then here is the good news, both files played flawlessly on the xtreamer. ... OP that means that now you need not worry about the codecs which the wd live does not support. you can simply convert the mkv to vob using the xvid codec and any media player will support it. I guess keeping this in mind, you can now probably choose any media player which supports full hd without worrying about codec support. Price and features can now be considered very seriously which automatically throws the wd live back in..
The wd live does have the highest connectivity options, aka hdmi, optical, component, composite which xtreamer and ac ryan dont give.....

Sigh, if only these choices were easy to make, but dude if you convert to avi or vob using say convertx or nero, there will definitely be a drop in quality, assuming you opt for a dvd player like the 420v that i recommended..
TECHhead, any way to reduce resolution without a drop in AV quality???

manu1991 said:
1) You can stream files from your PC or a NAS directly . This was you dont have to attach external drives etc

2) Lots of software's for that . MagicISO , UltraISO are some of them .

3) AFAIK , Xstreamer has the best support for external dvd drives , I dont think the AC Ryan supports DataDVD's , no idea about WD

Acryan supports dvds and data dvds without and issue. moreover it also can play host to usb dvd or bray drives...

home_15.png

edge111hussain said:
^^^

On it right now, am gonna run my 720p inglorious basterds print on mkv2vob and compare, if possi ill take screen shots too.. just to be sure, ill encode it in dvd9 and for 5.. still i assure you there will be a difference.

lemme check first, i generally use divx converter or zc converter to convert mkv to avi, and even at 2500 d difference is significant.

OK result time...

First of all my humble apologies, i got confused between the mkv2avi and mkv2vob. Downloaded mkv2vob and ran it. Results..

Techhead is right, there is absolutely no difference in quality, BUT something new did come up.

The mpeg, avi or vob output file uses the same resolution(1280x***) as output which i couldnt change or atleast if there is a way to change, i couldnt quiet figure out how. That creates a prob for op here. I tested the vob and avi files on my pioneer 410. The vob obviously did not play cause it doesnt support vob whilst avi did not play cause the resolution was not supported.. DVD player only supports 720x*** max..

But then here is the good news, both files played flawlessly on the xtreamer. ... OP that means that now you need not worry about the codecs which the wd live does not support. you can simply convert the mkv to vob using the xvid codec and any media player will support it. I guess keeping this in mind, you can now probably choose any media player which supports full hd without worrying about codec support. Price and features can now be considered very seriously which automatically throws the wd live back in..

The wd live does have the highest connectivity options, aka hdmi, optical, component, composite which xtreamer and ac ryan dont give.....

Sigh, if only these choices were easy to make, but dude if you convert to avi or vob using say convertx or nero, there will definitely be a drop in quality, assuming you opt for a dvd player like the 420v that i recommended..

TECHhead, any way to reduce resolution without a drop in AV quality???
i would suggest u get the acryan... i have been using it for almost six months... and have led many more to buy it... its media rendering capacity is second to none... connectivity options are perhaps the maximum i have see when i compared... i bought it after a month of online r&d... compared PLAYON HD, Popcorn Hour C200, WDTV Live, ASUS oPlay, Xtreamer...

streaming 1080p on wifi depends entirely on the router capacity and the network strength... if u can go with lan... its an excellent way to go... i have my data hosted on a plug computer NAS from which i stream using a lan connect through the router... the 10gb + mkvs play spotlessly... no issues fwding either...

moreover apart from a few videos shot with a digital camera, i havnt come across any format that it didnt play... you can go through the forums FORUM LINK to read more about it before buying it...

the playon hd is available in India with 2 yr warranty for 12.5k inclusive of tax and shippng + wifi dongle i think for 1.5k (HD Media Player, AC Ryan India, Play on HD India, True HD media players)... the smaller version has no hdd enclosure and lacks torrenting and nas support in the current f/w and is priced at 7.7k

i would be glad to answer any other queries u have... btw we can make the player work as a download rig with transmission torrent. host a ftp and also function as a network attached storage.

this thread could interest you more http://www.techenclave.com/gadgets-...advice/one-wdtv-rs-5475-wdtv-live-156882.html

dheerajjotwani said:
Acryan supports dvds and data dvds without and issue. moreover it also can play host to usb dvd or bray drives...

home_15.png

i would suggest u get the acryan... i have been using it for almost six months... and have led many more to buy it... its media rendering capacity is second to none... connectivity options are perhaps the maximum i have see when i compared... i bought it after a month of online r&d... compared PLAYON HD, Popcorn Hour C200, WDTV Live, ASUS oPlay, Xtreamer...

streaming 1080p on wifi depends entirely on the router capacity and the network strength... if u can go with lan... its an excellent way to go... i have my data hosted on a plug computer NAS from which i stream using a lan connect through the router... the 10gb + mkvs play spotlessly... no issues fwding either...

moreover apart from a few videos shot with a digital camera, i havnt come across any format that it didnt play... you can go through the forums FORUM LINK to read more about it before buying it...

the playon hd is available in India with 2 yr warranty for 12.5k inclusive of tax and shippng + wifi dongle i think for 1.5k (HD Media Player, AC Ryan India, Play on HD India, True HD media players)... the smaller version has no hdd enclosure and lacks torrenting and nas support in the current f/w and is priced at 7.7k

i would be glad to answer any other queries u have... btw we can make the player work as a download rig with transmission torrent. host a ftp and also function as a network attached storage.

this thread could interest you more http://www.techenclave.com/gadgets-...advice/one-wdtv-rs-5475-wdtv-live-156882.html

Amazing post man great info.. Ill be very clear with my needs so u can help me better i want a hd player to play HD movies usually the 1080p and 720p ones some of them are in different formats than mkv like .mts or mp4 i want to watch them on my lcd.. That is my major requirement.. I have an external HDD where they are all stored.. Which is the best player for that ? I dont understand what u meant by
" i have my data hosted on a plug computer NAS from which i stream using a lan connect through the router... the 10gb + mkvs play spotlessly... no issues fwding either... "

If u could explain that and answer my earlier query id much appreciate it.. Thanks

utkarsh86 said:
Amazing post man great info.. Ill be very clear with my needs so u can help me better i want a hd player to play HD movies usually the 1080p and 720p ones some of them are in different formats than mkv like .mts or mp4 i want to watch them on my lcd.. That is my major requirement.. I have an external HDD where they are all stored.. Which is the best player for that ?
i would suggest you to go with the playon mini. it plays virtually everything, even those that wdtvlive and xtreamer cant. moreover you get the ability to hook it up to your network for future streaming requirements. right now you content with playing media off the external hdd... maybe you wish to play it directly off the comp where you download it...

I dont understand what u meant by
" i have my data hosted on a plug computer NAS from which i stream using a lan connect through the router... the 10gb + mkvs play spotlessly... no issues fwding either... "

If u could explain that and answer my earlier query id much appreciate it.. Thanks
NAS is a network attached storage. I have setup a NAS using a PLUG COMPUTER (details in my signature). The media is downloaded on this setup and stored on the usb HDDs attached. Using my playon HD attached to the lan, i can then stream the content from the NAS and watch it. since i have this wired connect between the source (NAS) and the player, there is no stutter or quality loss in viewing even on the HD high res movies and content. this is where the rendering capacity of other player stands challenged.

Back