Audio [Buying Advice] Headphones or IEMs?

Hi

** I am planning to buy upto $50 headphones from US thru a friend...so please give me options :) ****

Background:
I am kinda a n00b in audio gear especially compared to the amount of knowledge people have on this forum...I currently am using Dell earphones (came with my XPS 1530) and find them very good..However I am giving these to my sis along with the lappy, since I have shifted to a desktop :) . Now I am in the market to buy some audio gear for home use (portability not such a big factor) and using them for Bluray movies etc and some music...My budget is around 1500 can go up to 2k if I can get something significantly better :)

Questions:

So her go all my questions (n00b):

1. Should I buy IEMs or Headphones? I have been using IEMs but somehow I have always found headphones very enticing and am inclined towards getting headphones...dont know because its my perception that something big can be more durable and sound better

2. Which are the best headphones in this category?

3. Which are the best IEMs in this category? I have heard a lot about Creative EP 630 and Soundmagic PL30 but dont know much about the other brands which people seem to favor a lot on this forum...like Brainwavz etc

4. Any other details you need to answer my query?

Thanks in advance
MnVn

Headphones should be better for your use... especially the reasonable mobility afforded by the longer cables on the headphones. I guess the even a Philips shp2500 should suffice and still be a reasonable upgrade in sq from the ep-630s bundled with dell laptops.

Could you give me anymore options?

What is the price of aforemntioned model (going to ebay to check too mebbe you know better)

Also I have a 7.1 onboard Realtek audio card...any headphones which might not be ultra expensive but can atleast use some more channels for HD movies?

MnVn

Thanks checked out those threads..

one question ... went to the Sennheiser Worldwide - HiFi Stereo Headphones, HD 202, Bass - Private Audio website to check out the product but:

How do I find how many channels output does the headphone support? Is there some criteria in the technical specs which can help me identify that? Are there even higher channel (>2.1) headphones out there? How do they work like speakers have different number of speakers but headphones obv wont change that...any idea what is a starting price for such 'high end' heaphones?

MnVn

All the headphones are stereo and those headphones with more output will advertise it as one of their most important features + they're above your budget. You can choose any one of these :

Sony MDR X - 200 (excellent for watching movies and good build quality)

Sennheiser HD202 (good for games, okay for movies and music)

Philips SHP8500 (It has an open and clear sound so it's excellent for music; it's the most comfortable one amongst the three => awesome for watching movies, SQ wise it's better than all of the above though you may find it bass light. It's also pretty tough)

I would recommend you to get a Philips SHP8500, if you're planning to listen to music and watch movies. For gaming HD202 are better but it's not as comfortable as SHP8500. Sony MDR X - 200 are excellent for watching movies they have loads and loads of bass.

For movies, Headphones are anyday better.. Better experience. Dont get the sennheisers 201 or 202, hard to run them, low volumes and need a bit of amplifications. The philips or sony ones are a better option imho. Also i believe soundmagic has a under 2k option.

Thanks a lot for the advice...I read some reviews and the philips model has some great reviews..

I am confused about one thing...there are 2 models for this product: 97 and 27...which were you referring to?

Also, since the SHp8500/27 are avilable for 1k ...is there something better which I can get by extending my budget upto 2k?

MnVn

Stereo = 2 channels.

Headphones are for you.

HD202 are better than any other Headphone in sub 2000 category i have tried in terms of sound quality ! If you are comfortable with it i would recommend them over any other !!

be it movies , games or music !

strategy said:
Stereo = 2 channels.

Headphones are for you.

HD202 are better than any other Headphone in sub 2000 category i have tried in terms of sound quality ! If you are comfortable with it i would recommend them over any other !!
be it movies , games or music !
Hmm now I am really confused between the Philips and HD202 one... :(

Also do you happen to know the diff between the 2 philips models?

^^^

Throw in creative too in there.. Different sound sig altogether though. I personally feel the sennheisers are hard to drive and hence would go with the Philips. Btw, since a good strong 8 yrs, ive owned the sony xd-200 and they are still working perfectly fine and still in sony's current headset lineup. Do have a look at em too.

^^

you are confusing me even more and more :(

Now I have no clue what to buy whatsoever...please post a priority list according to you...tried and read all reviews but nothing comparing individual headphones against each other :(

Also, any idea for a shop where I can get headphones in bangalore

^^^

And u r abt to get even more confused :)

Throw in sennheiser px-100 or the koss porta pros in the mix too. Do check out the look n fit though, they aint full sized cans but do an outstanding job. Half the audio community on TE i guess will swear by the porta's.

As far as the above discussed cans go, look sound quality wise i believe the sennheisers are the best option, but for me the volume is just too too low. Hence depending on how are you gonna run them, take a call buddy..

Best bet, you need to audition em. Sennheisers always have a local agent that provides auditions. BTW, a budget of 3k will open the doors for better sennheiser HD models.

BTW might be great news...

I might possibly have someone coming in from the US...

So I am looking to get my headsets from there now...my budget can go upto $50..

So I am now trying to find options according to this revised requirement:

I can get porta pro for around $34 so okay they are on the list. ANything better then those till $50? I would love to have over the ear headphones though which sit fully ouside my ear..

Select any one from the list in this image

for more information go to head-fi and look for the thread(from where this pic was taken) comparing the headphones.

Thanks but this looks like a comparison of 'portable headphones'...If I am not wrong non-portable headphones could get better if they sacrifice portabiliy? Are there any differences in the 2 categories?

Since you keep on saying you're interested in Koss KSC75(which gets rather uncomfortable after ~2hrs of usage on ears), I thought you don't mind portable headphones. There are a few portable headphones that are comfortable too look into the thread in for more detail.

If you can spend more(~ 2.5K) you can look into Philips SHP8900 too.

Frankly I prefer the Portapros to a lot of much more expensive headphones.

I really don't know why but I am really biased towards them.

@OP - If you stay in Mumbai I implore you to try the Koss portapros at the Imagine store in Atria mall or at any other Imagine store.

I liked them at the store so much that I went ahead and bought a pair for 2700 which is much more than their $30 US price but I love them at Rs 2700 pricepoint as well.

Back