Laptops Buying Dell XPS, need suggestions

afaik, dell warranty is valid internationally.. you'll need to fill up some sorta transfer of country form or something online.. you could mail dell support and get this clarified.

@Stalker, yes the warranty in valid internationally, confirmed with the dell guys.

I thank everyone of you for all your valuable inputs.

I've finalised the config now, hope this is ok:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T8300 2.4GHz, 3MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB
Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium - with AERO experience
15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife(TM)
3GB (1 X 2 GB + 1 X 1 GB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
200GB SATA 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive
Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT
Intel(R) 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini-Card
6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
But my queries never seem to die out :) one more now.

Is this dell truelife screen reflective one or the non-reflective?
Will it be difficult to view the screen in bright lighting condition?

Hope some of the XPS owners would clear this doubt.

What is Dell TrueLifeâ„¢?

Dell TrueLifeâ„¢ Background

The TrueLifeâ„¢ brand is Dell's marketing name for its new anti-reflective LCD screen technology (anti-reflective technology). TrueLifeâ„¢ is a trademark owned by Dell, Inc.

Benefits of Dell TrueLifeâ„¢

* Crisper images

* Brilliant colors

* Sharp contrast

* Wider viewing angles

* Reduced eye fatigue

Drawbacks of Dell TrueLifeâ„¢

* Can produce more reflected light in certain settings

there you go. :)

edit to stalkers post: truelife creates a good amount of reflection and that to all the time.. heck i dont have a mirror in my room an sometimes use the switched off screen of my dell inspiron for combing my hair!!.. ;)

i think the advanced HD software can also be installed afterwords for free and even there is no need to pay extra for getting it factory partitioned.

81K on that bulky a machine?

at the risk of sounding repetitive, unlike a desktop, bigger isn't always better on laptops

bigger -> faster proccy, more RAM, bigger screen etc...

Regarding the RAM issue: Vista Home Premium is available in 64-bit flavor too right? Which version is shipped with Dell machines? Vista 64-bit will see a considerable performance boost with 4GB RAM in certain applications, right?

Another doubt: If the memory configuration is 1x2GB + 1x1GB, will it operate in dual channel mode? Or does dual channel require 2 identical memory modules?

About the Wireless card, how is the Wireless-N card better than the other cheaper card? Is the Wireless-N card worth the extra price?

I have heard of some touchpad-related issues with Dell XPS laptops... And some heating related issues too. (From the reviews on the Dell site.) Minor issues or major problems?

superczar said:
81K on that bulky a machine?

at the risk of sounding repetitive, unlike a desktop, bigger isn't always better on laptops

bigger -> faster proccy, more RAM, bigger screen etc...

He is getting it for 52k :)

mjp1618 said:
Regarding the RAM issue: Vista Home Premium is available in 64-bit flavor too right? Which version is shipped with Dell machines? Vista 64-bit will see a considerable performance boost with 4GB RAM in certain applications, right?

Another doubt: If the memory configuration is 1x2GB + 1x1GB, will it operate in dual channel mode? Or does dual channel require 2 identical memory modules?

About the Wireless card, how is the Wireless-N card better than the other cheaper card? Is the Wireless-N card worth the extra price?

1. 64bit: NO considerable performance boost. only IF u use memory hungry apps like pgotoshop etc with huge >1Gb files. everything else amost same speed...

2. dual channel requires identical memory modules. but not that big a diff. 2-3%?

3. wireless N is faster i guess but u shud b ok with the normal one too. take ur pick :)

mjp1618 said:

Vista Home premium is shipped with 32bit version. EVEN IF YOU ORDER 4GB of ram. I dont know about ultimate. Also as techie said, there are no significant performance differences while using normal applications. Some games (UT for example) may show some improvements.

Intel uses something called Flex Memory Architecture to support Dual Channel on asymmetric memory modules. Although performance increment is less than what you would get in symmetric dual channel configuration (2*2GB for example) but is definitely more than single channel configuration. Read the following for more info:
Dual Channel RAM Guide - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

About the Wireless-N, me and my boss bought almost the same config for DELL XPS M1530 except me buying a Wireless Draft-N 4695 and him buying a 3945abg. We dont feel any major performance difference in any case. Although in some cases (low signal strength areas...) I get an insignificantly little more throughput (which may or may not be attributed to 4695 adapter alone). Its just that his laptop cannot connect at 100Mbps to the new router in our canteen ;)
For other standards (.11 a/b/g) there is no difference.

mjp1618 said:
I have heard of some touchpad-related issues with Dell XPS laptops... And some heating related issues too. (From the reviews on the Dell site.) Minor issues or major problems?

Well there are minor manufacturing defects found in few pieces, but then haven't you seen a reebok show which got torn/worn out in six months? Plus, only the people who receive such defective pieces complain, the ones who are happy, only few of them say it out loud that its a good buy.
So you might receive a bump in palm rest, a Bad Screen (Its been the MAJOR issue with M1530 so far...), your palm rest might give you very feeble electric shocks (mine does.), heating problems, etc. etc. There is cure for everything and these reported problems should not deter anyone from buying M1530.

Also, I seriously believe that now when ram upgrade from 3GB to 4GB is just tad over Rs. 1.5K, you should buy 4GB ram (it would not be addressable but It would run in SYMMETRIC DUAL CHANNEL MODE...)

And also, I see good performance difference in my XPS (T9300, 2.5GHz, 6MB) and my colleague's inspiron (T8300, 2.4GHz, 3MB) but then that differs from person to person.

techie_007 said:

amul_mitm said:

OK, thanks a lot. :)

About the Vista version: is there absolutely no way Dell will help with a 64-bit version? Or is there any way we can download the 64-bit version from Microsoft for free (or for a small tiny teeny fee :p ) if we have a licensed 32-bit version? (That seems only logical!)

In any case, I use mainly Ubuntu, but I would have loved to test out Vista 64-bit on a powerful system.

About that: How Linux-friendly are Dell laptops? Are all drivers available, or will the laptop be severely crippled with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro?

About T8300 vs. T9300: There is only around around 4% clock speed increase, and double the cache - Does this mean that the T9300 will give around 10% higher performance, but also that it will also use a lot more power (since there are a lot more transistors to leak power)? And translating to lower battery life..... :huh:

Is spending around 3k bucks for the T9300 worth it?

And about the "Bad Screen" like issues: are they covered under warranty? If we get a problematic laptop, can we get it replaced from Dell? (This is one of the main issues I have with buying a Dell laptop online, rather than buying one from a retail shop after testing.)

Wow, lots of inputs pouring in for this thread! :)

I got some info about the screens used in dell lappy
It says that LG, SAMSUNG screens are used.
LG screens have excellent quality, no problems at all.
Samsung screens are good, some screens might have problems like dead pixels, grainy issues.
But there is no way to ensure that you get a LG screen, even if you request it to the Customer rep.
It all depends on what screen is at the shelf at the dell plant, people over there just build the lappy and ship it to you :(

coolmint said:
I got some info about the screens used in dell lappy
It says that LG, SAMSUNG screens are used.
LG screens have excellent quality, no problems at all.
Samsung screens are good, some screens might have problems like dead pixels, grainy issues.
But there is no way to ensure that you get a LG screen, even if you request it to the Customer rep.
It all depends on what screen is at the shelf at the dell plant, people over there just build the lappy and ship it to you :(

I read somewhere that most of the WSXGA+ (1650x1050) screens shipped by Dell are Samsung ones; while most of the WXGA+ (1400x900) screens are LG ones. So apparently, if you order a 1400x900 screen, it's more likely that you will get an LG screen.

Besides, the 1400x900 screen has higher brightness and contrast ratio (250 nits and 400:1) specs than the 1650x1050 screen (200 nits and 300:1).

Does Dell India ship laptops with the Vista CD? Or a recovery CD? Or both?

Also, I hear that Dell laptops come with a few hidden partitions... For diagnostics, recovery, and MediaDirect. Is there any way I can backup the whole drive image and restore it later if required? I mean something like Acronis True Image: does it work with XPS 1530? I hear it has problems with MediaDirect 1 & 2, which version is shipped with the XPS 1530?

Will modifying the partitions affect the warranty of the laptop?
P.S.: @ coolmint: Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I am interested in purchasing an XPS 1530 some time soon; and this thread seemed very suitable for my queries too. :)

I received the xps wth a samsung screen....called up dell nd informed them about the grains....they replaced it wth a LG screen the next day.....
now it all looks just so kool....gr8 screen....

they are providing win vista discs....(atleast thats wat i got..)

coolendra said:
I received the xps wth a samsung screen....called up dell nd informed them about the grains....they replaced it wth a LG screen the next day.....
now it all looks just so kool....gr8 screen....

they are providing win vista discs....(atleast thats wat i got..)

how did u find out ur screen manufacturer? please tell me in details.

p.s. xps laptops are available at crom malad if anybody wants to go take a look , theyre such a beauty , the inspiron series are The S*ck :p

chetan said:
how did u find out ur screen manufacturer? please tell me in details.

u need to go to the device manager >> monitors >> properties >> Details >> select Hardware IDs and u will have the hardware id of ur screen...

mine was an XR878 whc is a samsung...

now it shows NU*** something...forgot...
its an LG
the difference is clearly visible..

Back