buying mobile E-72, Legend And Galaxy S : Advise needed

spirit

Disciple
Hi Friends,
I am planning to buy a mobile this June only:: after reading lots of user discussions, I have shortlisted on the following::

My basic needs::
Lots of sms so keypad/ touch key pad must be pretty good
Strong Battery Life: as my daily telephonic time is around 2-3 hours
Wi-Fi
Music not as primary requirement : AS I most of the time use my Ipod-Touch
(1) Nokia E72:: Qwerty keypad is awesome. Good for mails etc overall a sturdy phone. Initially I also thought of Blackberry Bold 9700( nor that i am business user but just for the sheer attraction towards blackberry but reviews told me to go for nokia e72)

(2) HTC Legend:: Andrioid 2.1, Awesome touch expereince as heard by users. But on the cons side, price is on the higher side.
(3) Samsung Galaxy S:: Not launched till now prolly will be launched in june itself. Processing wise, touch screen wise beat all htc desire,nexus one etc. any specific input on this will also be welcomed.

So my basic question is which one to take. Many of my friends who are using E-72 have recommended it over HTC legend saying that over a long period physical keyboard will always perform better than a virtual keyboard.
MY budget is hovering around 17-23k. Samsung Galaxy S will be around 28 k( but is it worth buying) so dont know whether i can stretch that much or not.

Moreover advises from members who are using either of these three(or two precisely) will be really helpful.

ALso regarding Legend ::: Should one wait for launch of Desire for an expected fall of HTC legend price or it will not affect the prices.

Specially I will love to know the experiences of Nokia E-72.

Presently I am sung Nokia N95 8 gb and Nokia 5800. (AS Nokia 5800 is resistive touch and may be this is the reason that somehow it has made be touch phone aversive :) )

Thanks in advance.

among E72 and Legend, I would pick Legend. Texting on 3.2" touch is as good as it is on E72. And btw, there are lot of complaints from E72 users so you better pick E71 instead or go for Blackberry if you want hard key qwerty.

in terms of raw processing power and flaunt value, Galaxy S FFTTWW! :)

A mix of both areas will be Motorola Milestone. it's 3.5" touch, android, has very good audio quality, great battery life and has slide qwerty. Given that you already have ipod touch that can take care of gaming and videos, this phone can be the right choice for you. And it costs around 25k on ebay and around 28k in stores.

If I were you, I would pick among these phones:

1) Samsung B7610 Omnia Pro (winmo, 3.5" display, slide qwerty, 22k approx) : a superb phone which has received lot of +ve feedback from users

2) Motorola Milestone (android, 3.5" display, slide qwerty)

3) Nokia E71 (symbian, VFM, 13k)

4) BB Bold 9700 : 28k approx (but data plans are a bit costly)

@ Desi Bond,

First of all thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Yeah as you said one of the reason for aversion towards BB can be due these costly plans which i dont need at all. I have 512 Kbps wi-fi connection at home and i dont roam outside so frequently and not at all that much to really avail benefit from BB plans and I have heard without these plans it's not worthwhile to buy it. Or can we use it without these data plans?? and it does not have radio too :)

Regarding Milestone:: Yeah I was also inclined towards it , but 28K is a bot hight but really it has all what i needed. Just to know a bit more about it:: I have heard that It's keyboard is pretty pedestrian? And also is it getting the Android 2.2 update? What's it processing power? And by any chance has it Amoled screen? Also how it's battery life.My previous experiences with Motorola were pathetic in terms of bettery.

Samsung Omnia Pro: Can you shed some more light over it? like about processor,operating system. is it a bit old??

When Can we expect Samsung Galaxy S?

And is it worthwhile to wait till launch of Desire/Galaxy and will affect the current pricing of all other Android touch screen phones?

A word of advice, I had the same dilemma too about the E72 or Legend, I used a friends E72 and also spoke to a Nokia Care Friend, it has lots of bugs and the optical pad is pretty much useless.

I don't think its worth it to get a BB just for flash value( if you don't need push email)

Milestone is an awesome phone, one of my friend has its snappy! (big form factor though)

Based on all the internet reviews and advice from TE members especially desibond, I decided on the Legend, will probably get it next weekend. :eek:hyeah:

Also, the prices of HTC phones do not come down as drastically as SE or even Nokia, I highly doubt the launch of the Desire will affect the Legend's price, the best quote I have so far is 22.5K.

Two straight negative reviews regarding E-72 :( it has kill my appetite for E-72. Legend was on my hit list :). What prices are they quoting it for you? And milestone.. 28 k seems to be a bit high , I can get Samsung Galaxy S in the same price :). But yeah physical keyboard is the main plus point on Milestone. Any reviews on it's keyboard though??( have heard a lot of negative feedback about it).

spirit said:
@ Desi Bond,

First of all thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Yeah as you said one of the reason for aversion towards BB can be due these costly plans which i dont need at all. I have 512 Kbps wi-fi connection at home and i dont roam outside so frequently and not at all that much to really avail benefit from BB plans and I have heard without these plans it's not worthwhile to buy it. Or can we use it without these data plans?? and it does not have radio too :)

Regarding Milestone:: Yeah I was also inclined towards it , but 28K is a bot hight but really it has all what i needed. Just to know a bit more about it:: I have heard that It's keyboard is pretty pedestrian? And also is it getting the Android 2.2 update? What's it processing power? And by any chance has it Amoled screen? Also how it's battery life.My previous experiences with Motorola were pathetic in terms of bettery.

Samsung Omnia Pro: Can you shed some more light over it? like about processor,operating system. is it a bit old??

And is it worthwhile to wait till launch of Desire/Galaxy and will affect the current pricing of all other Android touch screen phones?
yeah. you can avoid BB

Milestone: The best way to check the keypad of milestone is by using it yourself. go to store, ask for real piece of Milestone and try out the keypad. it's display is not AMOLED display. and if I am right, it doesn't come with FM Radio. Processing power wise, it has got ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX530 graphics which is the same set that you find on Nokia N900. The power of this chipset will be better utilized when 2.2 comes out. Motorola got 2.1 update for Milestone really fast and it was ahead of many other handsets. So, 2.2 can be expected on this too.

Omnia Pro: This link "http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_b7610_omniapro-2834.php" should help you find all the info on Omnia Pro.

Galaxy S: It's already sent to carriers in Europe and we are expecting in India by end of this month. It can come sooner too. and yes, it's totally worthy to wait for this phone. Like others said, this may not effect pricing of other handsets.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

UPDATE: android 2.2 update released for Motorola Droid a.k.a Milestone. Should be available in India soon.

@Desi Bond.. thanks a lot for reply. Well if there is no Radio it might result into no deal for me :( as i-touch also doesn't has Radio and i cant afford to put a third device for radio only in my pocket :).

What is that price of Milestone currently? Any buying from Ebay is safe? MY friend experience from ebay india was not pleasant.

Seems Like it all boil down to HTC Legend and Motorola Milestone. I will go and visit the store and will get a physical feel to it.

Moreover one of the member while sharing his experiences regarding legend told that if someone is using I-touch, he may get disappointed by the touch sense of Legend. Is it correct?

And also do Milestone and legend have live wallpaper functionality? ANd what are the current prices of both which i can quote the delaers of my place :)

thanks in advance.

spirit said:
@Desi Bond.. thanks a lot for reply. Well if there is no Radio it might result into no deal for me :( as i-touch also doesn't has Radio and i cant afford to put a third device for radio only in my pocket :).

What is that price of Milestone currently? Any buying from Ebay is safe? MY friend experience from ebay india was not pleasant.

Seems Like it all boil down to HTC Legend and Motorola Milestone. I will go and visit the store and will get a physical feel to it.

Moreover one of the member while sharing his experiences regarding legend told that if someone is using I-touch, he may get disappointed by the touch sense of Legend. Is it correct?

And also do Milestone and legend have live wallpaper functionality? ANd what are the current prices of both which i can quote the delaers of my place :)

thanks in advance.
you just cannot compare the touchscreen response of iphone with any any other phone, not even Desire or Incredible. The difference is A LOT. But if you compare Legend's touch screen with other phones, it's among the best. AMOLED, 16M colors, capacitive touch. There is no competition for this in 25k.

if you are going to purchase in ebay, make sure that you get it from power seller. Check with Kalpik Nigam (twitter.com/kalpik). He paid 28k for Google Nexus One on ebay but since there was no stock, the dealer promptly refunded the full amount. You need to pick such dealers. On ebay milestone sells for around 25k. afaik, both doesn' have live wallpaper functionality but custom ROMs are already out. also, for Motorola Droid (USA version of Milestone, CDMA), thedroidworld community already released cooked 2.2 ROM.

Legend : 22.5k

Milestone: 28k

these are retail store prices. But do give them a try before deciding. For me, I gave preference to Sense UI over physical qwerty and am happy with it.

BB isn't that bad as you may think. As a 9700 user I felt I had to speak out.:p

It has a great keypad and battery life is awesome. Screen is great and it's pretty snappy.

Yes, data plans can be expensive. Rs. 299 and 899 from Airtel per month. But yeah, no point in buying it if it's too much out of your budget.

P.S. On a side note, I've been getting 'free' data service from airtel. I had opted for the 899 P.M plan and they were supposed to deduct Rs. 899 after every 30 days. It has been more than two months, but they haven't deducted anything from my balance apart from the original 899 when the plan got activated. :D:D

i already have a wi-fi connection at home. While outdoors I have Reliance wi-fi data card connection. So I want to know without data plans is BB equally effective. I somehow prefer a broadband connection over these data plans as most of the times i am with my lappy. So curious about BB without any data plans. No doubt looks wise it's a stunning beauty.

letmein said:
BB isn't that bad as you may think. As a 9700 user I felt I had to speak out.:p

It has a great keypad and battery life is awesome. Screen is great and it's pretty snappy.

Yes, data plans can be expensive. Rs. 299 and 899 from Airtel per month. But yeah, no point in buying it if it's too much out of your budget.

P.S. On a side note, I've been getting 'free' data service from airtel. I had opted for the 899 P.M plan and they were supposed to deduct Rs. 899 after every 30 days. It has been more than two months, but they haven't deducted anything from my balance apart from the original 899 when the plan got activated. :D:D

Hi,
My primary purpose on a smartphone apart from a few calls and occasional texting, is reading books. I am looking to replace my Nokia E-61 which I pair with a Palm TX.
So my narrowed down choices were somewhat like Spirit's.

E-71, 72: The screen is smaller than my existing E-61 (although the resolution was better, the screen real estate matters more when reading ebooks)
BB: No way I can read books comfortably.
i-Phone: considered them strongly, but somehow the price puts me off.

Left with the Legend: I would have bought it this week, but I don't want to regret afterwards when HTC fails to update it to Froyo.
Also, for me personally, low readability in sunlight is quite a dealbreaker.

spirit said:

The rumored launch for Galaxy S is 3rd week of June. If you can wait till then, I suggest you do so! Its gonna be one awesome phone! I myself am waiting for the launch :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

laxmin said:
Left with the Legend: I would have bought it this week, but I don't want to regret afterwards when HTC fails to update it to Froyo.
Also, for me personally, low readability in sunlight is quite a dealbreaker.
About froyo, HTC *should* update it. But Desire was confirmed for an update, but not Legend. So that's a bit tricky to answer right now. As far as sunlight legibility, wait for Galaxy S. 4" Super AMOLED screen with excellent sunlight visibility! I think for reading books etc, its gonna be the best option!

spirit said:
i already have a wi-fi connection at home. While outdoors I have Reliance wi-fi data card connection. So I want to know without data plans is BB equally effective. I somehow prefer a broadband connection over these data plans as most of the times i am with my lappy. So curious about BB without any data plans. No doubt looks wise it's a stunning beauty.
Not worth it without a data plan. You'll be able to make calls/sms. But you won't get e-mail or the use the BBM/interenet

Basically, (for Airtel)

299 - Unlimited messages and e-mail

899 - Unlimited browsing too

About froyo, HTC *should* update it. But Desire was confirmed for an update, but not Legend. So that's a bit tricky to answer right now. As far as sunlight legibility, wait for Galaxy S. 4" Super AMOLED screen with excellent sunlight visibility! I think for reading books etc, its gonna be the best option!
In the words of HTC, the legend will "most likely" get Froyo, its a very ambiguous statement.

AFAIK there's no news of updating the legend. That's why I think I am not alone in not going for the phone for lack of froyo goodness. Even if HTC does give froyo, it might be months from now (after all didn't the Hero just get 2.1? HTC Desire is supposed to get froyo sometime in June, so that's my top choice right now. That or a nexus one - whichever I get a better deal on.

As for Milestone - the keyboard is very average (thus disappointing). Build quality is okay. But between the two I would go for Legend (or if you can raise your budget - HTC Desire or Google Nexus One).

HTC never confirmed a froyo release for Desire in June! They just said "it will be available in the second half of this year".. That can be June, OR December.. Nexus One is the thing to buy if you need fast updates!

Back