buying mobile E-72, Legend And Galaxy S : Advise needed

spirit

Disciple
Hi Friends,
I am planning to buy a mobile this June only:: after reading lots of user discussions, I have shortlisted on the following::

My basic needs::
Lots of sms so keypad/ touch key pad must be pretty good
Strong Battery Life: as my daily telephonic time is around 2-3 hours
Wi-Fi
Music not as primary requirement : AS I most of the time use my Ipod-Touch
(1) Nokia E72:: Qwerty keypad is awesome. Good for mails etc overall a sturdy phone. Initially I also thought of Blackberry Bold 9700( nor that i am business user but just for the sheer attraction towards blackberry but reviews told me to go for nokia e72)

(2) HTC Legend:: Andrioid 2.1, Awesome touch expereince as heard by users. But on the cons side, price is on the higher side.
(3) Samsung Galaxy S:: Not launched till now prolly will be launched in june itself. Processing wise, touch screen wise beat all htc desire,nexus one etc. any specific input on this will also be welcomed.

So my basic question is which one to take. Many of my friends who are using E-72 have recommended it over HTC legend saying that over a long period physical keyboard will always perform better than a virtual keyboard.
MY budget is hovering around 17-23k. Samsung Galaxy S will be around 28 k( but is it worth buying) so dont know whether i can stretch that much or not.

Moreover advises from members who are using either of these three(or two precisely) will be really helpful.

ALso regarding Legend ::: Should one wait for launch of Desire for an expected fall of HTC legend price or it will not affect the prices.

Specially I will love to know the experiences of Nokia E-72.

Presently I am sung Nokia N95 8 gb and Nokia 5800. (AS Nokia 5800 is resistive touch and may be this is the reason that somehow it has made be touch phone aversive :) )

Thanks in advance.

HTC has the same problem with updating the Desire as it had with the Hero or Legend, their Sense UI, its not that they will update Desire and not Legend, the only reason the Non HTC Android's are going to get Froyo soon is because of the lack of Sense UI, nowhere does it say that Desire will get it by June.

desiibond said:
The mods for Motorola devices looks to be much better than those at XDA. 2.2 ROM is out for Droid but am yet to see 2.2 ROMs released by guys at XDA.
Again, that's for Droid.. Not the Milestone! Droid and Milestone are two VERY different phones! Milestone has a locked bootloader, which will only allow signed ROMs..

So Finally I have zeroed down to these three phones:: If go for touch screen I will take HTC Legend ( Desire and Samsung Galaxy S seems to be out of my budget as it can be stretched maximum to 25k). I have also thought of Spica but now it seems to be a old model in terms of touch( no multi touch support etc)

In terms physical qwerty( as i was inclined towards it), I have zeroed down to two models ::

(1) nokia E72:: Phone is good but lately I have heard a lot of neagitve reviews about it like hanging and space bar not working etc. please confirm on this. Price quoted 16.6K

(2) Nokia N97 Mini Price quoted :: 19.5 K ( I really need to get feedback on this as i dont have much idea about its performance)

Motorola Milestone which was my first choice in this section seems to be dwindling down owing t higher price( 28k ) though i would have love to own a one.

Reason behind thinking too much towards a physical qwerty:: I have Ipod-touch and i hate to type on it.(Screen is bigger than HTC legend though but in the last six months I was never comfortable typing in it).

Waiting for your feed backs...

P.S. May not wait for launch of Desire and Galaxy officially as some of the members told that it may not effect he pricing of Htc Legend and the rest.

will buy this week only so expedient feedback needed:) for the logical conclusion of this thread.

Any feedback on the message that I posted last. I am waiting for your reviews over two mobiles that physical qwerty and within my budget. Have to buy the mobile within this week as i will out of station after then :)

Hi. Like one of the earlier posts says, I too would recommend you to have a look at Samsung B7610. I am using it since its launch. and am absolutely in love with it. yeah its a windows mobile 6.1 phone. but I use SPB mobile shell on top of it. there are tons more of UI customisations for it. I'd just point out some of the features that I find most appealing:

1. gorgeous AMOLED 35" screen

2. brilliant camera. 5mpx. pretty decent video recording. nothing sort of recording a proffessional video but yeah a small party clip is good to go.

3. Out of the box DivX, XviD support. I just dump in all dvdrips n tv shows into the SD card. install coreplayer and you can play virtually every format (even flvs)

4. nicely laid out qwerty keyboard. neat messaging, txting

5. audio quality is superb. I listen on earphones. FM radio with RDS

and to bring to your notice it's got a 800MHz proccy. Disable all samsung customisations and you have a snappy device. no lags whatsoever.

I have personally used E71 (which is close to wht E72 is though slower), and I'd still go for B7610 anyday. It has almost everything you can think of. Yeah I do agree that it is based on an ageing OS i.e. winmo 6.1, but if you are looking for a no nonsense phone then definitely try it out at a shop once. or head over to "modaco" forums to see how much customisations are available out there

Thanks Neo will definitely check it today. What it's price btw? 6.1 is no old? means latest is 6.5 i think. And more importantly what's the future of windows mobile operating system?

Neo Anderson said:
Hi. Like one of the earlier posts says, I too would recommend you to have a look at Samsung B7610. I am using it since its launch. and am absolutely in love with it. yeah its a windows mobile 6.1 phone. but I use SPB mobile shell on top of it. there are tons more of UI customisations for it. I'd just point out some of the features that I find most appealing:

1. gorgeous AMOLED 35" screen

2. brilliant camera. 5mpx. pretty decent video recording. nothing sort of recording a proffessional video but yeah a small party clip is good to go.

3. Out of the box DivX, XviD support. I just dump in all dvdrips n tv shows into the SD card. install coreplayer and you can play virtually every format (even flvs)

4. nicely laid out qwerty keyboard. neat messaging, txting

5. audio quality is superb. I listen on earphones. FM radio with RDS

and to bring to your notice it's got a 800MHz proccy. Disable all samsung customisations and you have a snappy device. no lags whatsoever.

I have personally used E71 (which is close to wht E72 is though slower), and I'd still go for B7610 anyday. It has almost everything you can think of. Yeah I do agree that it is based on an ageing OS i.e. winmo 6.1, but if you are looking for a no nonsense phone then definitely try it out at a shop once. or head over to "modaco" forums to see how much customisations are available out there

this phone is actually upgreadable to the latest build of winmo 6.5. but samsung is pretty darn late to release it yet in india. but yeah you can get hold of many custom firmwares from modaco forums. I got it for 22. not sure about the exact price right now but yeah dont go for any higher than 20-21. am sure you'd get one in that price bracket.

Talking bout OSes. I'd make it clear that I am not a big fan of symbian. it actually is a matter of choice. I prefer winmo just for the sheer amount of customisations we can make on it. 6.1 looks blant on the core but still I'd say you can do enough customisation to make it look much more cooler than any symbian phone can look. Also I believe the apps base for winmo is bigger (or else equal) as for symbian.

windows mobile 7 is coming soon but it wont be coming to these 6.1 devices as it seems now. But 6.1/6.5.x seems to be good enough for now if you are looking for a highly customisable OS with good app development capabilities.

P.S. : I forgot to mention that B7610 also has a superb battery life. much better than I had expected out of a full qwerty phone

Over all I founded it good. But it's Resistive touch screen :( :(. It's a big no no for me. I have Nokia 5800 and Ipod Touch and i know how painful to work on 5800 so and so that I almost stopped using my Nokia 5800. Any Comments.
Neo Anderson said:
this phone is actually upgreadable to the latest build of winmo 6.5. but samsung is pretty darn late to release it yet in india. but yeah you can get hold of many custom firmwares from modaco forums. I got it for 22. not sure about the exact price right now but yeah dont go for any higher than 20-21. am sure you'd get one in that price bracket.

Talking bout OSes. I'd make it clear that I am not a big fan of symbian. it actually is a matter of choice. I prefer winmo just for the sheer amount of customisations we can make on it. 6.1 looks blant on the core but still I'd say you can do enough customisation to make it look much more cooler than any symbian phone can look. Also I believe the apps base for winmo is bigger (or else equal) as for symbian.

windows mobile 7 is coming soon but it wont be coming to these 6.1 devices as it seems now. But 6.1/6.5.x seems to be good enough for now if you are looking for a highly customisable OS with good app development capabilities.

P.S. : I forgot to mention that B7610 also has a superb battery life. much better than I had expected out of a full qwerty phone

spirit said:
Over all I founded it good. But it's Resistive touch screen :( :(. It's a big no no for me. I have Nokia 5800 and Ipod Touch and i know how painful to work on 5800 so and so that I almost stopped using my Nokia 5800. Any Comments.
I had owned nokia 5800xm (and sold it off after a month). and believe me B7610 has much much better touch screen than 5800xm. and if you install SPB mobile shell then the touch sensitivity increases dramatically. It's just way way better. But sure its not capacitive screen. But it does the job pretty well.

And yes, I do also own a ipod touch 2g. and I don't think its fair to compare the touch on an apple i-product and anything else. But B7610 + spb or even stock is really good.

Where are you located?

Ohk... thanks a lot. I am located in Lucknow(U.P.) but soon I will be in Delhi.

Lots of confusion now.... I have followed many blogs and forums after that. People are saying that right now buying a smart phone which does not have Windows 7 mobile Os is of no use as it will not be updated to 7 hence if planning to buy Windows base phone wait till 7 is launched. Also many have written about it battery power.

I have followed Nokia N97 also and in may forums it was criticized for it's lackluster OS and ir-responsive touch . E-72 is also termed as having buggy software.

Droid is out of budget otherwise it would have been the best bet.

Overall i really liked Omnia Pro wondered how it was not in my radar.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

One More Thing. Can someone comparatively analyse Nokia n97 Mini and Samsung B7610 Omnia pro and tell the pros and cons of each.

More over is it true that Nokia E72 Software is too buggy?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Any more suggestions??

dude. Samsung B7610 Omnia pro is astronomically better than N97 MIni. Just get Symbian out of your head. and just forget about WP7. if you want a phone, now, get one that is good at what it is offering. given your budget, either B7610 or Legend (for non-qwerty) makes sense.

Given that Galaxy S is coming out in a weeks time, keep an eye out for it. It is a very very powerful phone.

Back