Buying Wood Furniture in Bangalore - Suggestions

From what I can read on urbanladder they don't really specify the wood. It just says "Material: Fabric, Ply Frame" which is not saying a whole lot.

I actually meant Fab Furnish in my last post. There it does specify the wood used on every page - Material: Solid Wood (Meranti)

Finally bought a lounger sofa from Shivaji Nagar at a shop called Sapna furnitures. Lets see how it turns out or even if it gets delivered on time.

Most of the shops talked about wood being "neem wood" others claimed it to be "silver oak" which I found to be bullshit. The problem remained that without having an exposed section, it was difficult to judge the quality. So bargained the price down to 50% of asking. Cheap but then I know if it lasts 3-4 years it would be worth it.

I tried everywhere, got tired of the prices vs quality and started designing my own and building them...
BTW, i'm a heriditary carpenter, so shouldn't be a problem.

@sharktale1212 I have personally bought quite some stuff from Urban Ladder and extremely pleased with the quality. I have been in Bangalore for more than 12 years now and most places in Shivaji Nagar has very poor and dubious quality (that is my opinion so please do not flame me). If you see the details Urban Ladder does mention that they use Sheesham wood. That is generally quite expensive and good quality and I was quite pleased with their fit and finish too.

I had a very poor experience with one one of these online firms - pepper fry or fab furnish I forgot. Very poor quality furniture which I promptly returned.

Though I haven't bought personally, but saw my colleague's sofa bought from Urban Ladder - which no doubt is quite expensive (some ~65k), but looks awesome.

I had bought my dining table ebay. It's a Sheesham wood table+chair - very heavy and the strongest dining table I have seen.
I had got it for 12.5K some 4 years back. Now its ~14K (similar to this, but not exactly the model)

I recommended this to my many friends and some has bought similar items - table, bed etc.

@sharktale1212 I have personally bought quite some stuff from Urban Ladder and extremely pleased with the quality. I have been in Bangalore for more than 12 years now and most places in Shivaji Nagar has very poor and dubious quality (that is my opinion so please do not flame me). If you see the details Urban Ladder does mention that they use Sheesham wood. That is generally quite expensive and good quality and I was quite pleased with their fit and finish too.

I had a very poor experience with one one of these online firms - pepper fry or fab furnish I forgot. Very poor quality furniture which I promptly returned.
After looking around Shivaji Nagar and some shops in Banaswadi I do agree with the dubious quality remark. I liked some recliners, the price and "imported" from Malaysia china did not justify the 1lakh price point. But in the end the decision was made looking at the price point. I wanted to buy something cheap for next 2-3 years at my rented place which is pretty small.

All our furniture at home is bought from one local shop in Chandigarh. They are expensive but they only use high quality Teak wood which is worth it's weight in gold IMO. We still have a 30yr old Dewan we got built from them which still looks as good as new.
Our most recent purchase from them was our Dining Table (34k) and a Double bed(28k). These were bought 15yrs ago. The same bed they sell for around 80k-1L these days.
We are not rich by any means but my father has always believed in waiting but only buying the best and then taking care of the stuff and for stuff like this that you don't buy everyday, I think it is worth it.

Back