Call of Duty 4 Demo OUT

OMG:O The graphics are mind blowing.I'm getting 25fps with everything set to high (no AA of course)that to on my 2yr old rig.Cant wait for the full game:clap: :clap:

After all this wait and anticipation, I finally played CoD4 demo. I've been a huge fan of CoD games and IW's move to Modern Warfare sounded delicious to say the least since the WWII genre was everyone's bleeding rock. anyway, after playing the demo, I am certain this game won't end up in my games collection. why? CoD4 feels like a mod for CoD2 and nothing more. you feel like you're playing CoD2 all over. don't get me wrong, CoD2 was a phenomenal game. but it was released in 2005, times have changed; It's a pity IW didn't change with it. CoD4's flaws, categorized:

Gameplay: want Non-Linear Mission Structure, Dynamic AI, Intense Squad battles? then look elsewhere! because CoD4 certainly doesn't deliver any of those. the game's design and gameplay are extremely rigid and linear. everything has to be done via game's book otherwise it won't work. going to a certain place to pick a certain weapon, placing IR in a certain place, attacking enemy from a certain point etc. the most annoying thing however, is that, the game keeps spawning enemies until you complete the objective, it's retarded. this is 2007, instead of making this game Serious sam, why not try and actually put some effort on game's artificial intelligence? speaking of which, game's AI are more-or-less braindead. that includes your squad mates too. while they don't get in the way (didn't get in mine anyway) enemies will often just stand and stare at you for no reason. sometimes, your team mates will get near where your enemy is hiding (behind a crate, wall etc) and just keep shooting and shooting until you finally go and end the enemy's misery. now while I am all up for putting people out of their misery, CoD4 fails at that too. you're given an M-16 Rifle with grenade launcher attachment. shooting someone in CoD4 feels exactly like it did in CoD2. the recoil and handling feels unrealistic and unsatifsying. furthermore, how was CoD4 able to score an M 17+ Rating by ESRB? there's zero blood in the game (certainly not enough to warrant M17 rating) and soldiers didn't even say crap/damn (nevermind words like shit/dick/**** that make a title Mature rating worthy) furthermore, which theme is IW exactly targeting at? you've got a modern war setting. but like futuristic shooters, your health regenerates; which feels unrealistic to the say the least. wouldn't it made more sense if you had the ability to take out a med-pack and inject and heal yourself like ColdWinter? (PS2) or call a medic or anything similar? anyway, let's move on to game's other flaws...

Graphics: If the people at IW aren't a perfect example of the word Slacker, then I don't know who is. Infinity Ward is still using the CoD2 Engine (which is a HEAVILY modified Quake III engine) Ironic thing is, CoD2 came out in Nov2005 and pretty much killed all the PCs and gave some awesome visuals. while CoD4 is coming out Nov2007 and actually looks WORSE than CoD2 but Actually plays BETTER than CoD2! the game is not pretty, not by a long shot. the lighting effects are average at best and the smoke/bullets look sub-par. the environments are hideously under textured. the only thing nice about the graphics are the character models which look pretty neat, assuming you exclude the clipping and lip-sync problems. why would you tone down graphics (considering you're already using an ancient engine) another retarded move by Infinity ward. oh and remember how people died/moved/shooted in CoD2? If you forgot, don't worry, play CoD4 and get your memory refreshed! almost every animation from CoD2 has been sheepishly copied here. the only good thing about the graphics is the performance, which was 50fps+ most of the time with 16x AF and 4x AA. but then again, with a 2year+ old engine, what do you expect?

Sound: another area where CoD4 falls on it's face. almost everything has been copied from CoD2. your allies/enemies scream the same way. environment effects like explosions and footsteps etc sound pretty much the same. hell, when you die, the bullets whizzing and the heavy breathing of your character sound EXACTLY like CoD2. if this wasn't bad enough, CoD4 has the lamest sounding weapons I've heard in a while. your M-16 sounds severely under-powering and lacking punch. most other guns sound almost, if not exact the same. the voice acting feels tired and sounds as if the voice actors were forced to do the voice overs.

Conclusion: An opportunity wasted is the probably the best way to describe CoD4. IW had the chance to make an amazing game, I would've been okay with them using CoD2 engine and repetitive sound as long as the game offered some non-linear gameplay and some basic team controlling. overall, CoD4 is a disappointment, after id Software, Infinity Ward is the second developer that refuses to evolve with time and keep up with competition. CoD4, at best, feels over saturated and linear. IW need to stick with WWII theme. atleast then, when their titles turn out to be uninspired miserabley repetitive failures, they could always retort with something like "But we were sticking to the tried-and-tested formula..."

oh and to prove how sites like GameInformer and IGN should be giving seminars on shilling, here's a quote from both of them about CoD4:

"The most intense first person shooter we have ever seen" - Game Informer

"One of the deepest online shooters of all time" - IGN

OMG:O The graphics are mind blowing

assuming one's mind gets blown by bad textures, then yes ;) CoD4's graphics aren't mindblowing....THIS is mind blowing.

Screenshots@1440x900 - 16x AF - 4x AA - Maximum Settings -

well they hav used their tried and tested formula of the same engine.....and yeah....well from the very beginning i know that they tried to copy from GRAW series....well i GRAW the health was a major issue which was the reason for many ppl to feel a bit bad about the game....and they (IW) hav continued their health regeneration thing.....thier should hav been introduction of health packs like FEAR/stalker/bioshock......so that they are kept in stock....

but still i would say that its good for multiplayer...

and yeah...CRYSIS is the game of this year:clap: no doubt about it:hap5: .....

satanofgamers said:
The gamme looks awesome... 86% done.. stupid bsnl 256 ul.. not giving me stable speeds.. sigh.. so much to download so lil time.....

There is only one mission in demo right..??

Damn its too short :huh:

For Ones who have completed it : It ends after we secure the tank rite..?? :huh: :huh:

@ evox ... cheers mate ... u summed it up better than what i was thinking .. and yet some people think CoD4 is "the" game :O ... and UT3 graphics are crappy ?? :( ...

deathvirus_me said:
@ evox ... cheers mate ... u summed it up better than what i was thinking .. and yet some people think CoD4 is "the" game :O ... and UT3 graphics are crappy ?? :( ...

Hype and nothing else. considering how poor the PC version is, no wonder all the videos/trailers/demonstrations were of Xbox360 version. UT3's graphics are anyday better than CoD4. the demo doesn't contain high-resolution textures, this was done to tone down the size. Epic did the same thing with UT2004 demo (it was mentioned in the read-me file)

Havent been playin games since quite some time...so cant compare it with other games...but graphics were good if not extra ordinary...

Well yeah Gameplay was boring same as usual...

evox said:
Hype and nothing else. considering how poor the PC version is, no wonder all the videos/trailers/demonstrations were of Xbox360 version. UT3's graphics are anyday better than CoD4. the demo doesn't contain high-resolution textures, this was done to tone down the size. Epic did the same thing with UT2004 demo (it was mentioned in the read-me file)

I think consoles are limiting the PC games.:mad: Thats why the multiplatforms are lacking mainly in graphics and AI.

eatpepsi said:
I think consoles are limiting the PC games.:mad: Thats why the multiplatforms are lacking mainly in graphics and AI.

this is the same case for all Multi platform titles. all of them are usually "Consolized" except for the few that manage to be more polished than their console counterparts (Call of Juarez comes in mind) this is the reason I am only looking forward to Crysis. It's PC first title so hopefully the graphics/AI won't be toned down to run on X360's GPU (though Crytek has hinted an X360 port in the future) the only problem here, is that, The game is expected Nov16th and being played (and still do, sometimes) Crysis BETA, I am very disappointed in the level of performance and the amount of bugs the game still has. Guess we should be happy the game hasn't gone gold yet. eh? I fear EA is rushing it out just like their other titles. the DX10 demo hits Oct26th. not a long wait, we'll hopefully see how clear the water really is.

Back