Call of Juarez: The Cartel - Discussion thread

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
What the shit is this? :crazeyes:

callofjuarezthecartelim.jpg

Ubisoft has lifted the lid on the latest iteration of the Call of Juarez franchise. Entitled “The Cartel“, the third installment in the franchise is currently in development over at Techland for both “next-gen†consoles and PC with a target worldwide release of Summer 2011.

Here’s an official description of the game:
Call of Juarez The Cartel is set in present-day and brings the best elements of the Wild West to a new and modern setting.As a first person shooter with an immersive and mature story, players can expect to embark on a journey like no other – one that will take them from the heart of modern day Los Angeles, California to Juarez, Mexico.
“Call of Juarez The Cartel is an action-packed shooter game with a strong story, interesting characters and a wide variety of gameplay options,†said Adam Novickas, director of marketing at Ubisoft. “The game will bring the best elements of the Wild West into modern times with a very gritty and relevant plot.â€

Source: Call of Juarez: The Cartel Announced News | Video Game Event News, Latest Trailers | GameTrailers.com

I hardly doubt that. In fact, I doubt it even has any reference to the previous CoJ titles, barring it's CoJ title tag. If that puny screenshot is anything to go by, then that hardly looks anything close to Billy's inclusion. :p

ok.. looks like a good time to ask, how were the first two titles? Anyone here played em? I've seen them on discount a number of times, but never felt excited about them. Are they in anyway close to satisfying my craving for a RDR on PC??

EDIT: apparently the new one isnt gonna be on PC... meh..

pretttt said:
ok.. looks like a good time to ask, how were the first two titles? Anyone here played em? I've seen them on discount a number of times, but never felt excited about them. Are they in anyway close to satisfying my craving for a RDR on PC??

EDIT: apparently the new one isnt gonna be on PC... meh..

The storyline and presentation easily beats RDR, especially Bound in Blood. The first one has received minor flak for it's stealthy sections with the protagonist Billy, but I guess it was necessary, considering his role wasn't supposed to be like John Rambo. Both the games had stunning visuals. The first CoJ was used as a major benchmarking game for a number of tests. It's a linear game, unlike RDR, which is open-world. But the scripted events are presented beautifully. Voice acting is something which is absolutely amazing in this game. It sticks to the true Western traditional accents & slang usage. Definitely worth a purchase if you ask me.

Hell yeah Call of Juarez is a pretty good series..Too bad they are gonna ruin this one! I saw a picture of the covers of game informer..A old guy looking like Ray was there on it!

Ethan_Hunt said:
The storyline and presentation easily beats RDR, especially Bound in Blood. The first one has received minor flak for it's stealthy sections with the protagonist Billy, but I guess it was necessary, considering his role wasn't supposed to be like John Rambo. Both the games had stunning visuals. The first CoJ was used as a major benchmarking game for a number of tests. It's a linear game, unlike RDR, which is open-world. But the scripted events are presented beautifully. Voice acting is something which is absolutely amazing in this game. It sticks to the true Western traditional accents & slang usage. Definitely worth a purchase if you ask me.
Thanks for the info... seems like I really missed this series. I guess I will pick it up soon.

Ethan_Hunt said:
I hardly doubt that. In fact, I doubt it even has any reference to the previous CoJ titles, barring it's CoJ title tag. If that puny screenshot is anything to go by, then that hardly looks anything close to Billy's inclusion. :p
what i meant was were you expecting billy's story? lol.yep i also know that it cannot be his story.Anyways to be honest those characters in that screenshot looks hilarious considering the fact that COJ carries serious stories.

Reverend Ray was friggin' awesome in both the games !! And have to agree with Ethan - Voice acting was simply stunning !! Opened this thread with expectation only to be disappointed :| This is like Far Cry and Far Cry 2 which had nothing to do with each other.

pretttt said:
^yea wasnt that by Ubisoft too?
Actually, Ubisoft is only the publisher out here. Techland has developed both the CoJ games, including the up-coming one. For Far Cry, the first one was developed by Crytek & second was taken over by Ubisoft Montreal.

Either way, I think we need a reveal trailer or something like that to at least know what's heading our way. From the screenshot, it looks like Left 4 Dead re-born with Western theme.

There goes another good classic western game.

I would have loved if they stayed in that era. Saloons, Marshalls, Outlaws, wanted posters, ranches, prostitutes, wagons, bandits, accent..! I don't know why they have decided to got modern warfare.

Back