Graphic Cards Can we RMA a GPU for high temps?

I have a gigabyte RTX3070 which is still in warranty. For the past few days I have observed that the hot spot temperature reaches 105C and the GPU temp is around mid 70s while gaming and then the fans spin up to 100% for a few seconds. This keeps happening over and over. Using GPU-Z, I have confirmed that the GPU thermal throttles in that situation. I tried an under-volt for the card using afterburner and it slightly improved the situation. I can replace the paste and pads which might help, but considering the GPU is in warranty, I don't want to disassemble it.

What I am curious to know is if anyone has been able to RMA a GPU in current times due to a similar issue and if so, what is the best way to present my case in the service center. Any inputs on this will be very much appreciated.

I have a gigabyte RTX3070 which is still in warranty. For the past few days I have observed that the hot spot temperature reaches 105C and the GPU temp is around mid 70s while gaming and then the fans spin up to 100% for a few seconds. This keeps happening over and over. Using GPU-Z, I have confirmed that the GPU thermal throttles in that situation. I tried an under-volt for the card using afterburner and it slightly improved the situation. I can replace the paste and pads which might help, but considering the GPU is in warranty, I don't want to disassemble it.

What I am curious to know is if anyone has been able to RMA a GPU in current times due to a similar issue and if so, what is the best way to present my case in the service center. Any inputs on this will be very much appreciated.
You would very likely be able to RMA if you just report erratic Fan behaviour while idle and fully stock settings.

I believe @Abhijat RMA'd his 3080Ti due to high temps and it was accepted.
Mine were extremely high temps. The nvidia overlay showed gpu temps in the mid 90s. PC would crash after a few minutes of gaming. Mid 70s might not meet the criteria. You should ask gigabyte once on socials. They might agree to it

Oh, yes you can and gigabyte won't replace it....they will test it and then repair it. They don't outright replace it.
I had an old 1060 6gb aorus which had vram issue and that was also repaired. It was delhi nehru place service center

Give it a try, you might be lucky and get a 4xxx series.
I doubt they will without extra payment.
Mine were extremely high temps. The nvidia overlay showed gpu temps in the mid 90s. PC would crash after a few minutes of gaming. Mid 70s might not meet the criteria. You should ask gigabyte once on socials. They might agree to it
That's a good idea, although I'm not on any social media. I'm more concerned about the hotspot temp and noise though.
Oh, yes you can and gigabyte won't replace it....they will test it and then repair it. They don't outright replace it.
I had an old 1060 6gb aorus which had vram issue and that was also repaired. It was delhi nehru place service center
That's fine by me. As long as the issue is resolved.

So to conclude, I believe I should raise a query first and see what they say from the support portal. If they refuse RMA, then probably I'll consider replacing the paste and pads myself.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and inputs! I will share my experience later.

So to conclude, I believe I should raise a query first and see what they say from the support portal. If they refuse RMA, then probably I'll consider replacing the paste and pads myself.
Don't do it yourself if gpu is under warranty. If service center is nearby then go there directly and raise rma, if not then raise RMA online and ship it as per their instructions. I would ask you not to do anything on gpu untill it's in warranty.

Don't do it yourself if gpu is under warranty. If service center is nearby then go there directly and raise rma, if not then raise RMA online and ship it as per their instructions. I would ask you not to do anything on gpu untill it's in warranty.
I agree, hence I've said that I'll do it only if they refuse RMA.

By the way, who handles gigabyte RMA in India? I'm from Kolkata, so hopefully there will be at least one service center here somewhere.

Mid 70s is not high temp. Nvidia website lists maximum temperature of RTX 3070 at 93°C. Unless the card routinely crosses that, nobody is going to accept RMA.

My zotac 3060 runs at 83° since the very beginning. No matter the number of fans and airflow of the cabinet, it will hit 83° under full load. And many other people have reported the same.

I had the same issue with my Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windfoce OC. They have a habit of using bad thermal paste on the GPU.

In your case service center will just disassemble the GPU and reapply thermal paste which should solve the issue.

My old GPU was out of warranty when I opened it up myself(pretty easy) and reapplied Noctua thermal paste to drop the temps.

Yes you can Rma gpu for high temps easily . Your gpu shows 105 c which is way high . You need to send the gpu for Rma their first step would be to repaste . If that doesn’t work they will give you a new gpu

Yes, you can RMA your card for high temps. Your GPU is a normal case of old dried up thermal paste which Gigabyte will fix in a few minutes.
Give it a try, you might be lucky and get a 4xxx series.
Nope bro, gigabyte don't send replacements unless the GPU is dead and unrepairable. In this case, they will replace the thermal paste and send it back.

Yes, you can RMA your card for high temps. Your GPU is a normal case of old dried up thermal paste which Gigabyte will fix in a few minutes.

Nope bro, gigabyte don't send replacements unless the GPU is dead and unrepairable. In this case, they will replace the thermal paste and send it back.
But still RMA helps in this case. His issue will be resolved, and warranty will remain intact.
I would advise to take pictures/videos of card in service center before handing them over. If they damage it, you can blame them and they can't deny for physical damage.

I would advise to take pictures/videos of card in service center before handing them over. If they damage it, you can blame them and they can't deny for physical damage.
Aren't service centres only to accept product for rma after confirming no physical damage & customer supposed to take back the repaired product after signing no physical damage on form?

Back