CD drive into an SSD with Caddy? Inspiron 5558.

RahatB

Disciple
Can I remove the CD Drive and install a caddy for an SSD instead? Is there and performance lost?

Where can I find a Caddy of sorts? had no luck online.

Any help would be appreciated, TIA.

sure, people have been doing that for about 4-5 years now. check Nehru place, delhi for caddy. performance loss ? you will gain performance with ssd. for installation, look videos on YT.com

sure, people have been doing that for about 4-5 years now. check Nehru place, delhi for caddy. performance loss ? you will gain performance with ssd. for installation, look videos on YT.com
Performance loss as to using the actual 2.5" slot I meant, gotcha on the installation.

no sir, none that i can think of.
So its my friends laptop, ill toss in a 250gb SSD into the main slot and use the caddy for an old 1000gb HDD I have. Should make it faster and ill be doubling the HDD storage too. Hopefully its worth it. Thanks again, man.

Have been using this for almost 2 years now on my old laptop. Works like a charm.
Post automatically merged:

Do check which version of the caddy suits your laptop.
+1, I'm using these with my personal laptop

See, haha.

Attachments

• 15968836223394839515872922391772.jpg
    15968836223394839515872922391772.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 112
I tried a fair few times to get it running but all it said was failed to initialize in the disk management page. Ill try again later some other day when I have time for a project :D

Back