Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands on Moon

Landing is all autopilot because the speed of light isn't fast enough to do last-minute corrections.
Landing is automated to reduce human error, on every single mission. Even some commercial airplanes have this capability for use in inclement low-visibility weather. At a certain point, humans become the weakest link no matter how experienced/how much training they receive. Cars have ABS (anti lock braking to prevent skids), TC (to avoid loss of grip by spinning wheels) and VSC (to reduce vehicles tendency to roll over) for this very reason: automation is less prone to error than humans.

That's why they call it the seven minutes of terror.
You just want to overly dramatize everything by stating things like "seven minutes of terror". That is applicable to landing on Mars. The ping/lag to the Moon is only 2.5-3 seconds. And the final nail to your argument's coffin: even the take off sequence is automated and began 15 minutes before this rocket was launched.

TLDR: what ISRO did was amazing enough on it's own; you don't need to add garam masala to make an impression. It cheapens their achievement, more so when the PM is hogging all the limelight instead of ISRO personnel taking the centre stage.

PS: I was wondering where you'd disappeared off to. Almost missed you even :)

------
Edit:
can somebody explain what is the benefit for India to reach this side of Moon or reach Moon at all? Do we get any new tech or its simply R&D expenditure with no real world benefit and a showcase of India?
There are deep craters in the polar region that never get sunlight. So there's a high probability of finding water (ice) there.
  • Water is required not only for humans, if we decide to go there
  • By breaking it down to Hydrogen and Oxygen, we can use it as rocket fuel
  • Hydrogen can also be used in fuel cells to generate electricity, which can keep everything from freezing during the lunar night which is 14 earth days long

Last edited:
I hope you are aware that the only NASA payload on C3 was a Laser RetroReflector (LRR) which is used to measure distance to moon from Earth (it keeps varying since moon's orbit around us is elliptical).<snip>
Watch the PBS clip. The NASA instrument helped detect water with Chandrayaan-1. There is a reason why their media is positive. They all have a part to play in this somewhere.

We will be sharing data with major space agencies about this mission. I'd not be surprised if we will also carry out experiments for NASA & ESA during this trip. Why not.

That is what Modi meant by a win for humanity.
You just want to overly dramatize everything by stating things like "seven minutes of terror". That is applicable to landing on Mars. The ping/lag to the Moon is only 2.5-3 seconds. And the final nail to your argument's coffin: even the take off sequence is automated and began 15 minutes before this rocket was launched.
There is no nail to my argument. If it was so easy then Chandrayaan-2 would have landed safely. As would have the Russians. I will reiterate what you said applies only to the first mission back in 2008
TLDR: what ISRO did was amazing enough on it's own; you don't need to add garam masala to make an impression. It cheapens their achievement, more so when the PM is hogging all the limelight instead of ISRO personnel taking the centre stage.
He was not hogging the limelight. The only reason this red herring is being pushed is because the opposition forgot to send RaGa over. Why isn't anyone asking this question?
PS: I was wondering where you'd disappeared off to. Almost missed you even :)
Life happens to all of us

Last edited:
We will be sharing data with major space agencies about this mission. I'd not be surprised if we will also carry out experiments for NASA & ESA during this trip. Why not.
You are merely repeating my words at this point. Space is what might unite us as a species. Thanks for coming to right side ;)

can somebody explain what is the benefit for India to reach this side of Moon or reach Moon at all? Do we get any new tech or its simply R&D expenditure with no real world benefit and a showcase of India?
Keeps the expertise in India. Inspires the next generation. See the interest with over 8M watching the live feed has got to be some YT record. Over 150 private companies have come up in the space sector in the last decade. National prestige with consequences in the larger geopolitical space.

Ultimately it's about bringing back Helium-3 and deuterium for future nuclear fusion. So providing energy on earth by mining on the moon. Only a few countries will be able to do it and we have an idea to be in that group.
I just watched a video where they were making fun of the landing. I would have commented but they were not wrong
Link?

Surprised the Paks were positive about this. Chinese were quiet.

Last edited:
Keeps the expertise in India. Inspires the next generation. See the interest with over 8M watching the live feed has got to be some YT record. Over 150 private companies have come up in the space sector in the last decade. National prestige with consequences in the larger geopolitical space.

Ultimately it's about bringing back Helium-3 and deuterium for future nuclear fusion. So providing energy on earth by mining on the moon. Only a few countries will be able to do it and we have an idea to be in that group.

Link?

Surprised the Paks were positive about this. Chinese were quiet.
It was on social media so can't find the link.... some kind of reaction video. Anyways we will always see someone trying to make fun of big achievements because they can't digest what India did.

Soft Landing on the moon demonstrates competence and precision of rocket science, engineering and mathematical calculations. The immediate benefit would be increased credibility for commercial low earth orbit, geo synchronous orbit and space partnerships. Militarily it signifies we are a good partner for developing precision weapons. In the long term it creates more jobs in the scientific domain, inspires a new generation towards science and any tech we develop could be useful in the civilian domain as well. Additionally, the moon has much lower gravity and atmospheric resistance, setting up a base there can simplify conducting future space missions and scientific experiments.

Last edited:
ISRO makes about $200-300 million in span of few years depending on number of foreign satellite launches.
Now may not directly connect with Moon landing but just saying ISRO's expenditure is not a liability. They need to keep pushing forward to gain more expertise . We might be providing Cheapest Space Tourism also in next 2-3 decades and that will again bring good money .

Everything has to start somewhere. Israel did not become one of the biggest Weapon exporter until it start R&D .

Now this is just from business prospective . There are many more reasons like Military application , Disaster Management etc.

Edit: TO add something interesting...Until Kargil War . Indian Military use to depend on USA GPS Heavily including bombardment and enemy location etc. The Americans started to play with and our officers were finding coordinates to be incorrect to actual positions.
ISRO has now launched our own Navigation system( Navic) ending the dependency on USA/RUSSIA/EUROPE

In today's world you cannot rely on even your allies and USA toh hai two-headed snake..

Last edited:
Now to the SUN.
Please spend one single minute reading up before making wild claims. Aditya is not going to the Sun, it will stay at L1 Lagrange point between Earth and the Sun, where both their gravitational pulls balance each other.

1693643815330.jpeg

1693643929317.jpeg

1693643820262.jpeg

ISRO is on fire...
If only they were allowed to explain the mission to general public...

Mission update: The rover has explored and analysed the surface of the moon over the last 14 days, gathered data and the lander has beamed that data to us. The pic belows shows the path travelled by the rover

1693715027848.jpeg

Since the lunar night lasts 14 earth days, the rover has been parked with it's solar panel facing east and shutdown. When the sun rises there, it should charge the batteries again. However the night time temperature can be -120°C or lower. Chances are slim that all the electronic equipment and battery survives it since there's no heating system to prevent freezing. If both the lander and rover are able to wake up, then more data can be collected.

As of now, the original mission has been completed successfully.

ISRO: Vikram soft-lands on moon again!

Update from the Chandrayaan 3 mission. ISRO tweets, "Vikram soft-landed on moon, again! Vikram Lander exceeded its mission objectives. It successfully underwent a hop experiment. On command, it fired the engines, elevated itself by about 40 cm as expected and landed safely at a distance of 30 -- 40 cm away.

"Importance?: This 'kick-start' enthuses future sample return and human missions! All systems performed nominally and are healthy. Deployed Ramp, ChaSTE and ILSA were folded back and redeployed successfully after the experiment."

The part that gets me is how the temperature in the soil changes. On the surface its 60C. Dig a mere 10cm and its dropped to -10C :oops:

So far they discovered sulhur but where is the water?

The part that gets me is how the temperature in the soil changes. On the surface its 60C. Dig a mere 10cm and its dropped to -10C :oops:
I had to read twice just to be sure if am reading it right or missed any point.

Amazing how less we know about our Moon even after we have already been on the Moon and have probes and orbiter already.

I had to read twice just to be sure if am reading it right or missed any point.

Amazing how less we know about our Moon even after we have already been on the Moon and have probes and orbiter already.
Yes, i also had to listen twice to understand. A seventy-degree drop is insane for such a shallow depth.

Back