Charged 42% custom on Mobile!! Help please

mutant

Skilled
Hi guys!

I am headed off to customs office to see If I can get it changed, a good friend told me it would be good if I take a print out of the current custom rates with me.

Now I am trying to find the customs for mobiles on cbec website

Customs Tariff 2009-10 - CBEC

Now in part 2, chapter 85 ,page number 552 tells me about telephone and says there is no customs on telephones, but they do not mention mobile phones there.

So, where can I find the official rate of customs for mobile phones that I can take a printout of and show it to them while defending my case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mutant

If your bringing it in person, you can always have it with you as a gift or personal item and not declare it to customs. Perfectly legal. But couriers, they're mostly opened and looked at and if the mood of the custom's official is bad, heavy tax, but if he's all happy, then no tax. :(

Thanks a lot guys for trying to help me with this. I would be going to customs again today, would really appreciate if you could take a scan/image of your customs receipts and send it to me via pm, I would take there printouts and try and defend my case.

And, I have not yet taken the package Arup Sir ( archat68) , I have requested post office to hold it for a day or two, so that I can check with the customs. Also, the sender has market it as a gift and declared $300 value .

So please if you have any receipts with you of your customs recently or you have a official document stating the customs for mobile phones that can help me in my case, I would really appreciate it.

@mutant

You should have told before that you are from Kolkata. Is your stuff got stuck in postal appraisal department? My audio DAC got stuck there and the appraisal officer and the other staff members were just pathetic. They behave in such a manner that they are doing the job for us due to mercy. They think they know everything in this world.

You know, they charged me 1.5k for not having export/import license. I had to show them form from DGFT site where it is clearly written personal export/import doesnt need the license. Even those retards refused to agree that my submitted downloaded form is from DGFT website.

Let me know who is the appraisal officer.

simforgotten said:
@mutant

You should have told before that you are from Kolkata. Is your stuff got stuck in postal appraisal department? My audio DAC got stuck there and the appraisal officer and the other staff members were just pathetic. They behave in such a manner that they are doing the job for us due to mercy. They think they know everything in this world.

You know, they charged me 1.5k for not having export/import license. I had to show them form from DGFT site where it is clearly written personal export/import doesnt need the license. Even those retards refused to agree that my submitted downloaded form is from DGFT website.

Let me know who is the appraisal officer.

Well, the appraisal department has already sent it to the postal office with a receipt of ~6.5k . I have asked the postal guys to hold it while I go to custom office and have a look at the problem. I went yesturday at the custom office and the lady who did my appraisal was like, " This would be the customs, no matter if you re apply for it, we are doing it for the entire month now and there are the new rules! "

Then I went to meet the assistant commissioner, Customs, ( Mr. Ghosh , i think) , he was atleast willing to hear my side of the story, now since I didnt knew much to argue about the custom rules n all, I called the they guy from globataxguru.in ( Mr. Ravindra Kumar) and he was great! and he agreed to talk to the assistant commissioner to discuss the rules and why it should not be charged, there conversation went on for like 15 mins and I think Mr. Ravindra kumar proved him wrong, there was this look in the the assistant comissioner eyes that he had done something wrong, after which, he asked for my phone number and Mr. Ravindra Kumar's phone number and said he will look over it and see, and told me " I will look into it and see, If I am convinced, I will give you a call. Else don't come here again and you have to pay the customs or you can send the parcel back" , to which I softly asked if I could come tomorrow and discuss this again, to which he could not say yes or no, and said, "come and have a look if I am available and free, I can talk to you, otherwise, I am not giving you time."

So, I will go today with all the proof and papers I can to prove my point, anyways, can you send me links to few documents that I can take a print out of to help in my case?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Freaky said:
Exactly what is happening with me now !! Was it sent via post (USPS) ?
Yes, It was send via post (USPS) :(

karankapoor said:
I had emailed you the copy of the duty charged please check.
Thanks a ton, I would take a print out of this as I go to custom office today.

@OP

You are in the same kinda problem I had faced earlier. These officers are a bunch of retards. My appraisal officer was Dipankar Sannyal. They wont believe in any of your words at the first chance. You have to prove them wrong which is really really difficult as they wont admit that they are wrong even if it is proved in papers. Wish you all the best for your quest. And regarding documents, you already have got the right one from Karan.

It's not bribe!!

There are Custom Handling Agents (CHA) who are licenced by Customs to clear the consignments and work for a charge. Usually parties importing or exporting stuffs employ them - they handle all the Customs formalities on behalf of their client for some fee.

Mutant was advised to get in touch with one of these agents.

Lesson learnt - Do not use Postal service to bring stuff into India :|

Hoping for a positive response from mutant later today. If not, need to send the letter for returning the package :(

I got my dell streak today delivered via aramex was charged 1.5

Value was 310$ was charged 210rs i even have the customs bill with me...

Mutant if you want can send the scan copy at your mail address

Thanx destiny...

Back